Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Broken Empire > King of Thorns Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (lostoceans) | 13 comments So young Jorg has made himself King of the Highlands. one step closer to his end goal.

what does everyone think of two story lines? the past and the future.

message 2: by Helen (new)

Helen I'll have to look back, didn't this divide in a different way to book one?

message 3: by Lee (new)

Lee This one goes back and forth between Jorg's narratives, one picks up from the first book and the other takes place a few years after, and Katherine's journal. It can be a little confusing but for the most part I enjoyed this one more than the first one.

message 4: by Lannister (new)

Lannister (lannisteruk) There are many elements of this series that I like. I love the world building and the mystery of the Builders and what led to the nuclear apocalypse. I liked the hints that the Builders pushed their technology a little too far and stretched reality a little, for want of better words (I can't recall the exact phrasing used in the book, but that was the gist of it.)

I also like Jorg as a character and I liked getting a little more info on him and his background.

But, I felt that over and over again in the story, there was Jorg saving the day at the last minute. They seemed to get into to so many impossible, un-winnable situations, and then at the last moment, Jorg would do something that would win the fight, despite all odds. I can buy this a couple of times, and maybe it was just the mood I was in when I read the book, but it seemed like it happened over and over again. The only time Jorg didn't save the day, was when his new 12 year old wife did, via her magical ruby. I welcomed that actually, since at least it was something different, but there were too many 'near things' that the plot started to lose credibility for me.

It was still an enjoyable read and I ended up giving it four stars (but I hovered over three stars for the longest time) but it just didn't grab quite the way the first book did.

What did you all think of Jorg's behaviour when he acts sympathetically (i.e. like a normal human being!) Do you think it was in character? There was the time he gave the dying little girl the clockwork toy and the drug to ease her passing, and also when he was wracked with grief over the death of the baby brother. And how about his behaviour towards his new wife? He seemed quite taken with her cheeky attitude and that she stood up to him. Did that feel plausible to everyone?

Curious to hear what you all think! :)

message 5: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 32 comments Lannister, your post reflects my thoughts about this book exactly! :-)

I did feel it was odd that Jorg seemed to suddenly regain some of his humanity.

I also didn't like that all his tricks turn out perfectly each time. When I discussed this with my husband, he said that it was because Jorg is resourceful and he plans ahead, so his tricks naturally win the day, but I just can't accept that Jorg does this again and again and again...

message 6: by Helen (new)

Helen I agree with your hubby, good planning.

message 7: by Lannister (new)

Lannister (lannisteruk) We have some opposing opinions here! :)

I agree to a certain extent with Femmy's hubs. Jorg is certainly resourceful and that will go a long way. But some of his 'plans' included pressing his head against a memory box where just the right memory would surface that got him out of his current predicament. He did this a couple of times I think, and it felt a bit of a cop out. Winning battles because your magic box told you what to do didn't really work for me, unfortunately.

message 8: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 212 comments I didn't like the box either. I did like that Jorg is learning actions have consequences - and I enjoyed the book - but I think I would have liked it more without the whole box/regained memory device. Also, he was perhaps a little TOO powerful at the end I thought (although I liked the final "duel"). Anyway, fun book, and I can finally proceed to the next one!

message 9: by Luke (new)

Luke | 12 comments I actually disliked Jorg becoming more human. The thing that grabbed me about the series was how fucked up Jorg was, and trying to humanize him, even a little, after the horrors we've seen him commit just made me cringe a little.

Also, I absolutely love "impossible" scenarios. That's another big thing that I love about Lawrence, he provides many of those with inventive situations to get out of them each time.

message 10: by Helen (new)

Helen I loved the snow scene, was that in this book?

message 11: by Luke (new)

Luke | 12 comments Yeah, in order, these are the things he used to turn the tables. He used his archers first, then the avalanches, then the trolls, then the ruby exploding, then the six-shooter, then his fire ability.

message 12: by Helen (new)

Helen Loved that, there was a great line about digging faster than the enemy.