Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) Catching Fire question

Salute
Vania Vania Nov 27, 2013 09:30PM
I'm barely reading this, and well I'm pretty confused about why the old man from district 11 was shot.? Many people say is because he sang the four note others about the salute. Can someone explain this to me, please? What was the real reason!?

The three fingered salute was given in district twelve as a thank you and goodbye to someone you love. When Katniss volunteered for Prim in the first book the district gave it to her. Then in the games the four note tone was Katniss and rues signal, and when rue died Katniss gave her the three fingered salute. I think after that if evolved for a simple thank you and goodbye into a symbol of the Mocking Jay and the revolution. The Old Man was killed because district 11 was much tougher on its citizens and any sign of rebellion was dealt with on sight
hope this helps

It was a show of rebellion.

I haven't read it for a while, but I know in the movie at least, district 11 started revolting when Rue died. So by that point, months later, it had escalated and any sign of rebellion wasn't tolerated.

It was incredibly brave of him, knowing what would happen.

I cried so hard in that part. It was so sad. Me and my friend sometimes do it as a sign of respect

Bridget (last edited Nov 27, 2013 10:11PM ) Nov 27, 2013 09:57PM   -1 votes
He was shot because he did both. He would have been shot for doing either. Anyone would have. District 11 is very strict and anyone had done anything to show support/encourage the rising would have been killed. So you can say he was killed because he did both or just say he was killed because he did something to encourage people to fight.