The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1) The Bronze Horseman discussion

Why did he stay with her sister so long?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristina S Ok, so I just finished this book. I thought it was a good read. However, I'm still a little perplexed. This is probably way obvious to some but not me. For the first few hundred pages in the book, Alexander stays with Dasha even though he wants to be with Tania. Is this because of Dimitri? I was just so confused/angry. If you want Tania so much than go and be with her already! I thought that part was really drawn out a long time. Ug…someone help explain it to me.

Bianca Moro I'm pretty sure it was because of Dimitri; he wanted to prove to him that he didn't like Tatiana, because he always wants what Alexander wants and after Dimitri decided to give up on Tania, Alexander went back to her. And I think it was also because they were at war and he didn't want to promise her anything since Dasha was so in love with him.

Kristina S That's what I thought, thanks!

message 4: by Dee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dee But even if he had to prove to Dimitri that he didn't like Tatiana , why not just leave the whole thing with her sister ?? Why does he HAVE to be in a relationship with her sis ??

Kristina S Good point…maybe to stay close to Tatiana so he can watch over her? Who knows...

message 6: by Dee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dee Kristina wrote: "Good point…maybe to stay close to Tatiana so he can watch over her? Who knows..."

That could have been accomplished even by meeting Tania daily whenever she went out or worked like they did earlier . And Tania had reservations about them being in a relationship before she went out to find her brother . After kissing him , she didn't say a single thing about not willing to be in a relationship , in fact he didn't even ask her

Lynette Err I don't think you've read this in enough detail. Let me summarise.

At first Tatiana thought she would "get over" Alexander and said to him - there will be other boys, but I'll only ever have one sister.
She tried to ignore her feelings for him as she put her sister first. He continued to see Dasha in order to keep seeing Tatiana and because Dasha was besotted with him.

He explained to her later on that he tried to stay away but when she went off to Luga, Dasha came to beg him to look for her. By then they realised they felt the same but Tatiana said there was no way for them to be together (not least because there's just no where for anyone to go).

Dimitri becomes a complication later on, after they have their meeting in the church, she tells Alexander to act completely disinterested so to throw him off the scent. It fails to work.

So he can't - " be with her " due to 1) Dasha 2) Dimitiri 3) communism

message 8: by Dee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dee Lynette wrote: "Err I don't think you've read this in enough detail. Let me summarise.

At first Tatiana thought she would "get over" Alexander and said to him - there will be other boys, but I'll only ever have ..."

Well , it seems you have answered your own discussion question . :P

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

It was both because they were trying to throw Dimitri off and because Tataina begged Alexander not to break her sisters heart.

message 10: by Shaye (last edited Jan 13, 2014 05:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shaye I thought that Alexander continued the relationship with Dasha because Tatiana requested that he stay with her because Dasha loved him. He continually asked Tatiana to disclose their relationship but she refused. I didn't think him staying with Dasha had anything to do with Dimitri.

Leona This is one of my all time favorite books. I loved the passion between Alexander and Tatiana. I did feel that he stayed with her because Tatiana refused to acknowledge the relationship and he needed to be close to her. But I also felt disappointed that he continued to "sleep" with the sister. I know times in war are different, but this was just too "all in the family" for my taste.

Shaye Leona wrote: "This is one of my all time favorite books. I loved the passion between Alexander and Tatiana. I did feel that he stayed with her because Tatiana refused to acknowledge the relationship and he nee..."

Dasha states that he stopped sleeping with her by August.

Leona Shaye wrote: "Leona wrote: "This is one of my all time favorite books. I loved the passion between Alexander and Tatiana. I did feel that he stayed with her because Tatiana refused to acknowledge the relations..."

True, but what about before August... ; 0 )

message 14: by Mrsbooks (last edited Feb 24, 2014 06:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mrsbooks This is one of the things that made this book difficult for me to read. I guess it's because I don't ever think there are good reasons to "cheat" on a person whether cheating implies sexual acts or just feelings.

They have their reasons, as already mentioned. The problem is they just don't stack up. The ONLY reason that made somewhat sense to me was Alex worrying about Dimitri and what he would do if he knew he was serious about Tatiana. Dimitri could see he wasn't serious about Dasha so he didn't care. But Alex life was involved, he recognized Dimitri wasn't a good friend and would turn on him if he felt he wasn't going to get his way, which is exactly what happened. However this reason doesn't have much to do with Dasha.

At the beginning I just wanted to throw the book at the wall. Their pathetic reasons just don't make sense. I can understand Tatiana more because she's young and doesn't understand a lot about relationships. However Alex was older and he should have known it was wrong. It made me dislike him.

He may have been listening to Tatiana and doing what she asked of him but that doesn't make it any less stupid or wrong.