Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

Other HEA > Request for Recommendations: Fantasy/Magical Steamy Romance Novels

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melan (last edited Nov 27, 2013 04:45PM) (new)

Melan Choly (winterregencylover) Does anyone know of any good fantasy/magical steamy romance novels(I prefer anything but contemporary)?

I generally gear towards historical romance and medieval romance but I want magic, sorcery, apparitions etc. involved with the mix.

plz list any suggestions that you may have... I appreciate it greatly!!!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 13013 comments Kristan Callihan's Darkest London series fits the bill but it is set in Victorian London. First book.. Firelight (Darkest London, #1) by Kristen Callihan . It is paranormal romance but plenty of magic, sorcery, curses, etc.

Another great series is Lisa Hendrix - Immortal Brotherhood. It starts when nine Viking warriors are cursed by a witch and each book follows a warrior breaking the curse, in different centuries. Three books out so far. First book Immortal Warrior (Immortal Brotherhood, #1) by Lisa Hendrix

message 3: by Melan (new)

Melan Choly (winterregencylover) Awesome!!! I will def check it out.

I forgot to add Victorian and Regency as well so it sounds perfect!

Know of any other but with fairies included?

message 4: by Lemon (new)

Lemon | 59 comments Annie wrote: "Know of any other but with fairies included?"

Have you tried Karen Marie Moning's Highlander or Fever series? I haven't read all her books but some in the Highlander series involve faeries and time travel. I read Kiss of the Highlander (Highlander, #4) by Karen Marie Moning (book 4 in the series) and really enjoyed it. I think book 6 in the series definitely involves faeries The Immortal Highlander (Highlander, #6) by Karen Marie Moning although I haven't read it.

Also, I have not read but The Bride Finder (St. Leger, #1) by Susan Carroll is on my TBR and seems interesting (18th century setting with magical elements).

You should check out Penelope Williamson's medieval historicals, they tend to involve magic and faeries. See for example, Keeper of the Dream by Penelope Williamson .

In the paranormal genre, I haven't read but people definitely love Nalini Singh's Psy-Changelling series and Kresley Cole's Immortal After Dark series, although I think the setting is contemporary.

message 5: by Arielle Rae (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 131 comments Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson This series is an awesome epic fantasy romance! It is set in a medieval fantasy and magic type realm, and there are fae as well as other magical creatures... The love story is really lovely and the world building is amazing

message 6: by Melan (new)

Melan Choly (winterregencylover) They all sound good to me =) thanks for the input!!

I'll check out Karen Marie for sure!

I haven't read any books with this many fusion of my likings so I'm excited to test it out!

message 7: by Melan (new)

Melan Choly (winterregencylover) Arielle Rae wrote: "Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson This series is an awesome epic fantasy romance! It is set in a medieval fantasy and magic type realm, and there are fae as well as other magical creatur..."

cool!!! thx!!!!

message 8: by Arielle Rae (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 131 comments Annie wrote: "Arielle Rae wrote: "Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson This series is an awesome epic fantasy romance! It is set in a medieval fantasy and magic type realm, and there are fae as well as o..."

Your welcome! This series is just so good that I can't stop recommending it to basically everyone... I'm going to have a 3rd reread of it soon :D

message 9: by Melan (new)

Melan Choly (winterregencylover) Arielle Rae wrote: "Annie wrote: "Arielle Rae wrote: "Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson This series is an awesome epic fantasy romance! It is set in a medieval fantasy and magic type realm, and there are fa..."

Nice...if you love something, you can never read it enough =)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 13013 comments The Bride Finder (St. Leger, #1) by Susan Carroll . I've read this series, it's good.

Susan Carroll's other series The Dark Queen is also magical and set in the time of Catherine de Medici around the 16th century. It is about a family of good witches battling the evil magic of the Queen. Medium level heat romance. I can highly recommend it too.

message 11: by Melan (new)

Melan Choly (winterregencylover) Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "The Bride Finder (St. Leger, #1) by Susan Carroll. I've read this series, it's good.

Susan Carroll's other series The Dark Queen is also magical and set in the time of Catherine de Medici around the 16th centur..."

steamy romance is icing on the cake but romance is ultimately my main thing. as long as there's a strong bond between the lovers, i'm there.

i'm a shameful hopeless romantic =( the cornier the better...

I'll add the novel to my reading list right now. thank you!

message 12: by 1001 Romances!, Really Pamela, Dhes, & Lisa Kay! (new)

1001 Romances! | 178 comments Annie, we've moved your topic to another folder, just for housekeeping purposes. Glad you got some great recommendations. I'll be adding some of them to my TBR pile.

message 13: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 648 comments The Magicians and Mrs. Quent (Mrs. Quent, #1) by Galen Beckett is the first book in a trilogy I thought was awesome. The romance isn't steamy at all though, it's more like Jane Austen than a modern romance novel. Great books though I thought :D
Mercedes Lackey has a fantasy romance series, book one is The Fairy Godmother (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #1) by Mercedes Lackey . Again, not real steamy, but definitely fantasy and romance.

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Oh, I've been meaning to get to that trilogy, Kit★! Looks so good.

message 15: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 648 comments Yea! I try to pimp it out whenever I can, I loved it a bunch :D

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I know you do, Kit★. (Pimp, that is. LOL!) I think my library has the first and I was waiting to see if they get all three.

message 17: by ☆Eiko (last edited Nov 28, 2013 12:36PM) (new)

☆Eiko (sillytachi) | 343 comments Hello! I wanted to recommend some books that fit this category as well! This one is about dragons (and I usually always recommend a book by Shana Abé, whom I greatly admire, and the Smoke Thief takes place in the 1700's) The Smoke Thief (Drakon, #1) by Shana Abe (there's more books to the series but the first one is still my favourite) she has a YA version of her Drákon series with the same abilities from Smoke Thief but different time which is WWI called The Sweetest Dark (The Sweetest Dark, #1) by Shana Abe followed by The Deepest Night (The Sweetest Dark, #2) by Shana Abe . Abé also wrote The Last Mermaid by Shana Abe that has three stories in one with at least the main character being a magical being (my favourite is the second one <3 ) And also, how could I forget The Truelove Bride by Shana Abe which takes place in medieval England and Scotland. This one is also a YA and it's called In the Coils of the Snake (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #3) by Clare B. Dunkle , it's the last of a trilogy but it's my most favourite one which I read when I was still in preparatory school (it has to do with elves!!!) Masque of the Swan by Rebecca Ashe Masque of the Swan is very similar to the Phantom of the Opera, the time setting is not mentioned but I got the feeling it was during the middle ages, the ending is mind blowing, and the hero may be a bit villainous as he wants something... or someone >:) The Chalice and the Blade (Chalice Trilogy, #1) by Glenna McReynolds is a historical romance with implied magic, which takes somewhat the centre of the stage as the main hero is known as a feared wizard during the early Middle Ages, it takes place in Whales. Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo is a historical/fantasy/romance/YA (that doesn't read like a young adult...) in a made up world, it's a trilogy and be prepared to be confused as to the true motifs of the Darkling. Lord of Danger by Anne Stuart by Anne Stuart is similar to the Calice and the Blade, but with a much more sinister hero <3 A Well Favored Gentleman (Fairchild Family, # 2) by Christina Dodd has to do with the hero (previously a villain in the first book) as a magical selkie! Beneath the Thirteen Moons by Kathryne Kennedy has also a fantasy world with an undetermined time setting and definite magic involved <3 The Fire Lord's Lover (The Elven Lords, #1) by Kathryne Kennedy also has to do with elves, and romance and a historical time setting!!! Hawksong (The Kiesha'ra, #1) by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes <---I also read this in my teenage years, very YA but it was one of the best fantasy romance books I read! I have many moreeeee... ask me if you have any questions regarding these books! (this is my favourite genre and have been looking for these books for a long time)

message 18: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Whoa, Eiko. Thanks!

message 19: by Jonel (new)

Jonel Have you checked out Jessie Donovan's AMT (Asylums for Magical Threats) series?

Blaze of Secrets (Asylums for Magical Threats, #1) by Jessie Donovan Frozen Desires (Asylums for Magical Threats, #2) by Jessie Donovan Shadow of Temptation (Asylums for Magical Threats, #2.5) by Jessie Donovan

message 20: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Anne Bishop - The Black Jewels
Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels #1) by Anne Bishop
Best fantasy/romance series!! Highly recommend it!!

Shana Abe Drakon series
The Smoke Thief (Drakon #1) by Shana Abe
Dragon! What more needs to be said.
Love this series!!

Alix Rickloff Heirs of Kilronan trilogy
Earl of Darkness (Heirs of Kilronan Trilogy, #1) by Alix Rickloff
historical paranormal/fantasy romance

Zoe Archer Blades of the Rose
Warrior (The Blades of the Rose, #1) by Zoe Archer
Love love!!

Mary Jo Putney Guardians series
A Kiss of Fate (Guardians, #1) by Mary Jo Putney
historical romance/fantasy

Bec McMaster London Steampunk series
Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1) by Bec McMaster
historical/fantasy/pnr/steampunk

Kristen Callihan Darkest London
Firelight (Darkest London, #1) by Kristen Callihan
historical/Paranormal
Love this series!!

message 21: by Arielle Rae (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 131 comments Oh and of course, the must read of all fantasy romances; The Kushiel Series! It is a-fudgin'-mazing! It is EPIC and the love story is one of the best ever written! Highly recommended!
Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey Kushiel's Chosen (Phèdre's Trilogy, #2) by Jacqueline Carey Kushiel's Avatar (Phèdre's Trilogy #3) by Jacqueline Carey
Kushiel's Scion (Imriel's Trilogy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey Kushiel's Justice (Imriel's Trilogy, #2) by Jacqueline Carey Kushiel's Mercy (Imriel's Trilogy, #3) by Jacqueline Carey
Naamah's Kiss (Moirin Trilogy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey Naamah's Curse (Moirin Trilogy, #2) by Jacqueline Carey Naamah's Blessing (Moirin Trilogy, #3) by Jacqueline Carey

Love love love it!

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 2061 comments Nice, Jonel, Leslie, and Arielle Rae.

message 23: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) This is probably one of my favorite sub-genre's - some great ideas on here for reading!

Another one, which is based on the Arthurian legends is The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) by Marion Zimmer Bradley
It's kind of a classic.