Mount TBR 2014 Challenge discussion

Level 1: Pike's Peak (12 Books) > Rachel's 1st Mountain - Pike's Peak 2014

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel W (last edited Jun 09, 2014 10:48PM) (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) Starting here to see how many books I can read next year! I am still making some reading plans, so I won't post any books yet, but will add to this topic as I go.

1) Joyland by Stephen King
2) Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
3) Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
4) We the Animals by Justin Torres
5) Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher

message 2: by Bev (new)

Bev | 444 comments Mod
Welcome to the 2014 climbing crew!

message 3: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) Thanks Bev! I am really looking forward to this!

message 4: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) #1 - Joyland by Stephen King.

First book completed! I have had this on my shelf since June of 2013. It was a fun read, but I wish I had started it right away while it was still summertime. It seems like it would fare better in the proper season.

Next book won't be for a bit, I have 6 out from the library at the moment for a winter reading challenge. Sigh. But I will be back here soon enough! I have at least 8 more that I am really excited to read from my shelves.

Good luck to all with their reading!

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Rachel wrote: "…Next book won't be for a bit, I have 6 out from the library at the moment for a winter reading challenge. Sigh. But I will be back here soon enough! I have at least 8 more that I am really excited to read from my shelves"

I have this problem with library books as well. Good luck with your challenge :)

message 6: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) #2 - Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

Well, a stressful and busy first quarter in 2014 had me reading some new series, and kept me away from Mt. TBR. But I am back on the mountain now, finished with my second book, and started on the third! :)

This book was an excellent first novel from Joe Hill, Stephen King's son, who appears to have his father's gift for horror and tension building. I am very happy to have read it. It's been sitting on my kindle since last fall.

Anyway, I hope to be checking in here with more frequent progress now :)

message 7: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) #3 - Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

finished 6/5/14. 3.5 stars. One of my favorites in this series so far!

#4 - We the Animals by Justin Torres

finished 6/9/14. 3 stars. The scenes in this book are quite vividly written, and all have a similar feel and range of emotion until the very end of the book, which almost seems as if it's been written about different characters. I'm not sure if that was intentional on the part of the author or not. I'm not sure I would read more from this author.

I have a couple of borrowed books to read and return, but I have started my next book for Mt TBR, Proven Guilty. A reading challenge in my Bookish group will have me reading a lot of material from my own library from July-September. So I am hoping I will reach my goal of Pike's Peak by Labor Day!

message 8: by C. (Never msg. Just comment! Email if private.) (last edited Jun 10, 2014 07:34AM) (new)

C.  (Never msg.  Just comment!  Email if private.) (riedel) Hi Rachel! Nice to see you! I'm in the British reading challenge. For the second time, I'm withholding reviews until the right draw - 90% are 'UK only'. She drew internationally once this year but choose a book, for some reason. It was YA. I've passed age 30 so.... maybe the next 'open to all' will be left to choice. Book tastes are personal, even if a grown-up were partial to YA. ;-) There's my 'hello' to see how you are generally.

message 9: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) Hi Carolyn! Thanks, it is nice to be reading again! The challenge I'm participating in doesn't offer any kind of prizes/giveaways, but I can imagine that would be frustrating. I hope you get another chance this year! :)

message 10: by C. (Never msg. Just comment! Email if private.) (last edited Jun 10, 2014 07:47PM) (new)

C.  (Never msg.  Just comment!  Email if private.) (riedel) I take cues from our sweet hostess, Bev. Offer to everyone, in my triad. :) I'm in 44 others, not counting Mount TBR & British books. Those with prizes do offer to all, those without I'm happy to participate in as my own literary olympics. Tell me more about how you're doing! :-) I've made good progress in my list, with a new mountain discussion thread. Yours, Carolyn.