Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Recommend non-traditional protagonist

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Doed | 2 comments I haven't read historical fiction in awhile. Looking for new series/novels. Typically I enjoy non traditional protagonist (sorta anti heroes). I have enjoyed in the past

Alan Lewrie series (don't like Master & Commander series)
Loved Shogon & King Rat
Poldark series
Bloody Jack series
Count of Monte Cristo

I love simple narrative and hate literary type of books. Not big fan of sci-fi / fantasy as it is hard for me to keep track of plot.

message 2: by Cheryl A (new)

Cheryl A | 935 comments I read Napoleon's Pyramids by William Dietrich, with the protagonist Ethan Gage - an American ex-pat serving as a spy for hire.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Dray (stephaniedray) | 44 comments If you like twisted anti-heroines, I can't recommend one better than Wideacre.

If you'd like a cheerfully xenophobic quasi-detective, I'm crazy about SPQR I: The King's Gambit's Decius Metellus in ancient Rome!

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 95 comments You might like Cinnamon and Gunpowder by Eli Brown. It is one of the best pirate stories I've ever read, told in the same style as those other pirate/sea story greats known as Treasure Island and Gulliver's Travels, but with its own unique bits and pieces. A great combo of adventure, historical fiction, and romance with wonderful, unique characters that you will not want to put it down until you finish it.

message 5: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Saadia (zoesaadia) Stephanie wrote: "... If you'd like a cheerfully xenophobic quasi-detective, I'm crazy about SPQR I: The King's Gambit's Decius Metellus in ancient Rome! ..."

lol, I join this recommendation and the summary of the main character virtues as well :D

message 6: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Iciek | 463 comments Have you read any Bernard Cornwell? His Uhtred character in the series starting with The Last Kingdom is definitely not your normal main character.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 529 comments Eileen wrote: "Have you read any Bernard Cornwell? His Uhtred character in the series starting with The Last Kingdom is definitely not your normal main character."

I was just going to suggest this too.

And although it's historical-fantasy, A Game of Thrones has a mix of typical and atypical protagonists.

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Dray (stephaniedray) | 44 comments Zoe wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "... If you'd like a cheerfully xenophobic quasi-detective, I'm crazy about SPQR I: The King's Gambit's Decius Metellus in ancient Rome! ..."

lol, I join this recommendation and t..."

Yay! Zoe, any friend of Decius Metellus is a friend of mine ;)

message 9: by John (new)

John Doed | 2 comments Thank you all. Put all these books in my queue. Going to start with Last Kingdom, and report back once finished.

message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine Malec | 169 comments Wasn't entirely sure where to put this, but I'm curious if anyone has recommendations for books with created songs and/or stories in them. What I mean is songs or stories that are told or sung by someone inside the narrative, but are original creations of the book's author.

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2249 comments Christine wrote: "Wasn't entirely sure where to put this, but I'm curious if anyone has recommendations for books with created songs and/or stories in them. What I mean is songs or stories that are told or sung by s..."

You should start a new thread under the Recommendations folder- https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group... .

I don't think I've seen a request for that sort of thing.