SA reads discussion

Jock of the Bushveld > Tell us about you hero dog

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 1038 comments Mod
I think most people have or have had a dog that is 'the greatest dog in the world'. I do not currently have a dog. I have told my husband that I would like a black Great Dane called Heathcliff (Cecily and Adelle, do you get the joke), but he is not falling for this one.

In my life, I've had two amazing dogs.

The first was Blue, a throwback Weimaraner who had long fur, was as big as a Great Dane and was born with testicular growths and couldn't be used for breeding. The breeder, a friend of my dad's, gave him to us as a 'gift'. We named him for his eyes. He entered my life when I was 9 and left when I was 21. This 80kg, rambunctious mass of fur teeth and silliness believed he was 1) human; 2) 2IC to my dad; 3) half his actual size. This meant that he would sit on laps, break everything, and not stop until my dad got home. He 'surfed' (once), stole the Christmas roast, killed and ate all eleven of the neighbour's chickens, jumped through a window, single-pawedly destroyed a Christmas tree, dug holes in the middle of the lawn and guarded us all with ferocity and a big soft heart. I still miss his dopeyness.

Our second was Leila, a rescue Husky, who arrived in our lives a year after Blue left for Doggie Heaven. She had one blue eye, one brown and enough doggie neuroses to assist Freud in developing a theory for canine development. She used to gather our possessions and sleep on them, hide food, howl when the kettle boiled and chewed through the back door. She also sat up with me when I studied, waited for every family member to return home and laugh or cry with all of us. She stayed with my folks when I left home (technically, she was my brother's) and passed on two years ago, leaving a loopy doggy hole in our hearts.

Now tell us about your great dogs.

message 2: by Marren (last edited Nov 27, 2013 04:33PM) (new)

Marren | 12 comments I have never owned a dog but my family had one I like most out of the dogs we have had. We called it Puppy. It came around the same time my baby sister was a baby. It would bathe in the same bath water as my sister and it would bark when my sister cried. I liked it, so much that I would take time to bathe it but it died: just run from the yard and killed by a passing car.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 155 comments I've only had one dog in my lifetime--a Sheltie named Laddie. We got him when I was in second grade, and he passed away when I was 21, so we basically grew up together, and he was my best friend. He was very intelligent but timid, and he would act tough but then retreat. He used to chase the deer in our yard, and once a mother deer stood her ground and pawed the ground, snorting at him. He didn't know what to do and looked back at us with a classic "Help!" look on his face, then ran back to the house. He may not have been a guard dog, but he was a wonderful companion and friend, and I still miss him every day! :-)

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Marren, Puppy sounds adorable. I'm so sorry about what happened.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Sarah, I can just picture Laddie giving a sheepish look at a deer. Dogs are so funny.