By Fire, By Water By Fire, By Water discussion

Who's that on the cover?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Stephen Welch I use a Kindle but still find myself influenced somewhat by cover art I see, even in tiny "thumbnails," on Goodreads etc. I didn't choose to read By Fire, By Water (or not) based upon the cover, but still ... why this choice? Nice art, and vaguely period, but I was a tad puzzled as to why or whether this picture of a woman, sedately contemplating her lap, was considered the best image to get a potential buyer to pull the book "off the shelf."

message 2: by OddModicum Rachel (last edited Aug 09, 2014 09:04PM) (new) - added it

OddModicum Rachel lol It is rather a good question. I've not read the book yet, but added it both to my 'to be read' shelf, as well as to my 'swoonworthy cover art' shelf, as it cover is quite lovely. Not sure what it has to do with the plot, but its sure pretty! ;) BTW, if you peek at my cover art shelf, you'll see this is a rather popular style of cover at the moment, for a particular type of book. Lots of gorgeous renaissance ladies doing rather banal things... but looking great doing it.

Ha! Check it out! Had this one in my cover art shelf as well, and clearly looks like the same woman, in an equally 'Oy... what an aching head have I?' pose. Too funny.
Bound
Bound by Sally Cabot Gunning

Carolann Off topic about the cover (However I thought maybe Ysabel?) I just finished this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I may be nit picking but one small issue bothers me. Why, towards the end when Santangel asked Colon to tell Judith of his incarceration did he not inform Levi, her nephew? Colon seemed to want to help Santangel throughout the book. He agreed to help Levi at the end but neglected to share that Santangel had been imprisoned. It did not seem in his character to leave that out. Did anyone else think this was odd and left out only for a more dramatic final meeting between he and Judith at the end? It's silly, but small details like this can irritate me even if I really liked everything else.

Stephen Welch Hi Carolann -- I noticed this too but didn't find it a problem. Yes, it would have somewhat interrupted the dramatic momentum at the end, so it seemed appropriate to me that this would have been left out. Perhaps Colon told him later, maybe he never told him, but it's not necessary that we know one way or the other. Per Kaplan's notes, the character is based on a Jewish man who converted to Christianity, sailed with Colon and later chose to stay behind in the New World, essentially washing his hands of the misery and corruption of the Old World. So perhaps Kaplan chose to simply cut all of Levi's ties in order to keep his fate open-ended, and not leave an emotional "loose thread" behind.

Carolann It's not so much that he didn't tell Levi, but he specifically instructed him to inform Judith. That's why it seemed weird to me that he left out that significant news. In the grand scheme of the book it was no big deal. However when something in a movie or book doesn't seem to click or make sense to me like that, it bugs me a bit.