Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6329 comments It occurs to me we have a few centuries of cooking experience in this group & it would be nice to have the recipes in one place. If you have a favorite, please post it here.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6329 comments Maryland Cream of Crab Soup
1 pound Maryland jumbo lump crab meat
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
3 teaspoons OLD BAY Seasoning
1/4 cup butter
2 pints heavy whipping cream
1 quart half and half
cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 pint milk

Bring milk, half and half, and heavy whipping cream to a boil.
Add crab meat, fresh parsley, Old Bay Seasoning, butter, salt and pepper.
When it starts to boil, make a paste of cornstarch and water to thicken soup.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6329 comments Applesauce Bread

1/2 cup of softened butter
1 large egg
1 1/2 t baking soda
3/4 t nutmeg
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t kosher salt
1 1/2 cups of applesauce
1 t vanilla extract

In a large bowl, first blend together the butter, egg, & sugar. Then add the flour, baking soda, spices, & salt.
After it starts to from a crumbly dough, pour in the applesauce and mix together. I used two small loaf pans, pouring mixture evenly into both. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.

---------------

Eggplant Parmesan - 8 to 10 servings
3 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
2 eggs, beaten
4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
6 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella shredded cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried basil

Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in bread crumbs. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated (350) oven for 5 minutes on each side.

In a 9x13 inch baking dish spread spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses. Sprinkle basil on top.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Nov 27, 2013 09:51AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Oh, boy! I'll have to show those recipes to my husband! He doesn't mind cooking. In fact, he seems to put his heart into it. He doesn't mind the work of chop-chop-chopping food into bits and pieces. He makes great Chicken Soup with Orzo pasta. I should have him write up some recipes for his specialties. One of them is called "Gravioli". :) He also makes Chicken Paprikash the way his Hungarian mother made it.

Thanks for the recipes, Jim, and the topic too.

message 5: by Werner (last edited Nov 27, 2013 12:14PM) (new)

Werner Since it's Thanksgiving season, I'll share a recipe that became a Thanksgiving tradition in our family when the girls were little: Thanksgiving Turkey Cookies.
1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
! tablespoon milk
1 cup oats
1 can chocolate frosting
candy corn
small-size peanut butter cups
chocolate chips
red licorice rope

Mix the butter/margarine, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a big bowl. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the milk, then add the oats. Refrigerate the resulting dough for two hours; then roll it into balls, and place them on a cookie sheet. Using the bottom of a cup spread with butter or margarine and then dipped in sugar, flatten each ball on the sheet; then bake them at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

Now, you're ready to decorate the cookies (which is the crucial step that makes them turkey cookies). This is best done while they're still warm. Using a little bit of the chocolate frosting for "glue," stick a peanut butter cup upside down to the center of each cookie. (This will be your turkey's "body.") Press candy corn in a half circle around the top side of the "body" (again using chocolate frosting to glue them), with the narrow ends closest to the peanut butter cup, to form the tail feathers. Finally, use more frosting to stick a chocolate chip to the top of the flat part of the peanut butter cup for the turkey's head, and to stick a small piece of the red licorice below it to form the wattle.

Barb made these every Thanksgiving for a lot of years, and now our daughter Deborah has taken up the tradition. They're pretty popular, in and out of the family, and maybe some of you would enjoy them too.

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Nov 27, 2013 01:43PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Werner, the cookie must be very cute to see! I wish you had a photo of it. Are any of the pics in the page linked below similar?
https://www.google.com/search?q=turke...

Here's a cute one from the above linked page:
http://www.google.com/imgres?sa=X&...

message 7: by Werner (new)

Werner Joy, thanks for the links! Quite a few of the cookies pictured there look similar to the ones we make (and all of them look delicious!), but I didn't see any that are identical. The recipe that we have is accompanied by a very good picture; but unfortunately I don't have the scanning technology required to send it to you. :-(

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6329 comments Super! I thought this topic would be good. Joy, you need to get Eddie to put in some of his recipes. I'm looking forward to some from Nina, too. Werner, the cookies sound excellent. I love peanut butter cups & so does Marg.

We tried the crab soup. I didn't make a half batch & should have. It makes a lot (3 quarts). I found out that lump crab meat costs its weight in gold & isn't worth it. The flavor just wasn't there, although the basic soup was pretty good. Since we're from Maryland & used to fresh crabs, that shouldn't be surprising.

Marg said next time, she'll make a half batch & try the fake crab meat. That might make it taste like a local soup, she-crab soup. It's pretty good.