David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Laurie Faria Stolarz
This topic is about Laurie Faria Stolarz
Author Q&A > Laurie Faria Stolarz (Author of The Touch series) Q&A event--Jan. 27-30th

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited Jan 30, 2014 06:07AM) (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
From January 27-30th, bestselling author Laurie Faria Stolarz will be coming to our group to answer questions about her bestselling Touch series (Deadly Little Secret, Deadly Little Lies, Deadly Little Games, Deadly Little Voices, Deadly Little Lessons), her life as an author, and about anything else you all can come up with!! So get ready for the fun and start thinking of some questions to ask her!

Laurie has also generously donated 2 books for a giveaway! The winner will win Deadly Little Secret (Touch, #1) by Laurie Faria StolarzDeadly Little Lies (Touch, #2) by Laurie Faria Stolarz US winner only.

All you have to do to be entered to win is ask Laurie a question!

And if you haven't checked out her books yet, I encourage you to try them! They are great paranormal suspense stories, and each one has its own mystery!

Deadly Little Secret (Touch, #1) by Laurie Faria Stolarz Deadly Little Lies (Touch, #2) by Laurie Faria Stolarz Deadly Little Games (Touch, #3) by Laurie Faria Stolarz Deadly Little Voices (Touch, #4) by Laurie Faria Stolarz Deadly Little Lessons (Touch, #5) by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Questions:

1. Karen--What does your typical day consist of?

2. Karen--When you're writing, what items are typically strewn around you?

3. Monica--What was your inspiration for this series?

4. Monica--How long did it take you to write your first book? After you wrote the 1st draft, how long after that until it was published?

5. Jenny--Are you yourself a potter or sculptor? Or any other kind of artist?

6. Katelyn--What do you like to read?
What is your writing routine?

7. Jenea--What made you cone up with the idea for the books?

8. Justine--Who are you outside of being an author?

9. The Cover Contessa--Do you have a specific place where you like to write?

10. The Cover Contessa--What do you think gives you the most inspiration to write?

11. Lauren--What were some of your influences for this series?

12. The Cover Contessa--Do you like to travel? If so, where to? What is the most awesomest place you've been? Where do you want to go before you die?

13. Marianne--Did you have to do extensive research to incorporate psychometry in you books?

14. The Cover Contessa--How did you feel when you knew you were writing the final book of the series?

15. Jessie--What is your inspiration for each scene in a novel?

16. Ariella--When did you start to read books?

17. Jenny--I really loved how in the subsequent books, you used Camelia's talent as the method of her psychic ability. Where did you come up with that idea?

18. Vicki-- I am intrigued by the cover. How did you decide on showing girl's partial body? Why not a face too?

19. Vicki--How do you decide on which POV to use when you write a book, and do you prefer one or more than one POV in general?

20. Vicki--Do you have any suggestions for me as I begin Deadly Little Secrets since I am a new reader of your work?

21. Dre--For Touch series, are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life? Or was it purely a fascination with the supernatural?

22. Dre-- Out of all the books that you have read in your lifetime, who is your most favorite monster/villain? Why? (Include the title of the book and author)

23. Jenny-- Can you tell us more about your new book, Welcome to the Dark House?

24. Diana--Would you want any of your books to become into a series of movies?

25. Trisha--I don't want to give anything away about the book, but I'm curious what drew you to psychometry? Was there a specific moment where the idea got started?

26. Trisha--What is the most memorable book you've read recently?

27. Kelly--Does psychometry or any of the paranormal sciences play a part of your everyday life?

28. Kelly--What type of research was involved for your books, and how much time do you spend researching before you begin the writing process?

29. Sherrie--If Deadly Little Secrets became a film who would you cast in the movie roles and why?

Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)  (mariannelee) This is so exciting! I remember reading all of her Touch series books in one day! Still haven't read the most recent one, though. Must. Think.Questions.To.Ask.

message 3: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Yay, Marianne! I loved these books, too, I and read through the first 3 very quickly, then the last two when they were each released. So happy you are joining in!

message 4: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Amazing! Well done Jenny! Can't wait for this one :)

message 5: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Rhea | 15 comments Sounds great, I am really looking forward to this one. I love to be introduced to new authors,, and I have to admit I have not read anything by her.

message 6: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Awesome! Thanks for joining in Marilyn ;)

message 7: by Brooke (new)

Brooke  (brookeluvsbooks) I love these books so much!!

message 8: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Yayyy!! Then you've got to participate in the Q&A with the author :)

Brooke (The Cover Contessa) (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments Oh, I love Laurie!!!! She's awesome!

message 10: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

YAY, Brooke!! Start thinking up your questions ;)

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
On my TBR list so I can be prepared by then! WOOT WOOT!

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 75 comments So excited. I just received notice that Deadly Little Secret is ready for me to check out at the library. I am looking forward to joining in the Q & A!

message 13: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Awesome, so cool!! Reading that will help give you some good questions for Laurie too :)

message 14: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Yay, Kelly!!

I just bought a used copy of Deadly Little Secret for a reread! Hopefully I'll get it read before the Q&A!

message 15: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Ahhh this Q&A starts soon! Can't wait to chat with Laurie :)

message 16: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

And Oh my gosh, the author is giving away TWO books! That's so awesome and generous of her!!

message 17: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Laurie is awesome, and amazingly generous!!

Okay, peeps, feel free to start asking Laurie questions!

message 18: by Karen’s Library (last edited Jan 26, 2014 06:48PM) (new)

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Eeepppp!!! Welcome Laurie! We're so excited you're joining us!

What does your typical day consist of?

When you're writing, what items are typically strewn around you?

message 19: by Monica (new)

Monica | 18 comments How exciting! I will admit that I haven't had a chance to read any if your work but I really want to! It would be so awesome to win!! I have so many questions but I'll save some for other people lol.

Ok, for my questions:
[b]What was your inspiration for this series?[/b]

[b]How long did it take you to write your first book? After you wrote the 1st draft, how long after that until it was published?[/b]

message 20: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I'm so excited you are hanging out with us this week, Laurie! I totally fell in love with the Touch series and read them back to back very quickly!

So, the MC of the series, Camelia (love that name!) is an artist--she sculpts with clay as her hobby, and she's very talented. Are you yourself a potter or sculptor? Or any other kind of artist?

message 21: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Thanks so much for answering our questions! :)

What do you like to read?
What is your writing routine?

message 22: by Jenea (new)

Jenea Lyles (tweetybell3523) | 3 comments What made you cone up with the idea for the books?

message 23: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinen) Who are you outside of being an author?

Brooke (The Cover Contessa) (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments Do you have a specific place where you like to write?

Brooke (The Cover Contessa) (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments What do you think gives you the most inspiration to write?

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Laurie - thank you for coming to our group to answer our questions! :)
I have not yet read Deadly Little Secret, but it's on my to-read list.

What were some of your influences for this series?

Brooke (The Cover Contessa) (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments Do you like to travel? If so, where to? What is the most awesomest place you've been? Where do you want to go before you die?

Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)  (mariannelee) (This may or may not be a spoiler)

Did you have to do extensive research to incorporate psychometry in you books?

Brooke (The Cover Contessa) (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments How did you feel when you knew you were writing the final book of the series?

message 30: by Jessie (last edited Jan 27, 2014 07:16AM) (new)

Jessie (whitehusky) | 7 comments What is your inspiration for each scene in a novel?

message 31: by Ariella (new)

Ariella (ariellah980) | 18 comments When did you start to read books?

message 32: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stolarz | 25 comments The Cover Contessa wrote: "How did you feel when you knew you were writing the final book of the series?" It was a little sad because I knew the series was ending, but I was also excited because I was happy where things were leaving off.

message 33: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stolarz | 25 comments Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms) wrote: "(This may or may not be a spoiler)

Did you have to do extensive research to incorporate psychometry in you books? "

I did do a lot of research and, like witchcraft with my Blue is for Nightmares series, there were some inconsistencies. Some say psychometry only involves the ability to read past events. Others say it can predict the future. Also, only a couple of resources I found discussed the ability beyond touch/fee, acknowledging how other senses can come into play.

message 34: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stolarz | 25 comments The Cover Contessa wrote: "Do you like to travel? If so, where to? What is the most awesomest place you've been? Where do you want to go before you die?"

I love to travel. My favorite place is Paris. I'd love to go to Maui.

message 35: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stolarz | 25 comments Lauren wrote: "Laurie - thank you for coming to our group to answer our questions! :)

What were some of your influences for this series?"

Thanks!

message 36: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stolarz | 25 comments The Cover Contessa wrote: " Do you have a specific place where you like to write?"

I can write anywhere - in the car, in waiting rooms, at coffee shops.

message 37: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stolarz | 25 comments The Cover Contessa wrote: "Oh, I love Laurie!!!! She's awesome!"

Awww, thanks!

message 38: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stolarz | 25 comments Jessie wrote: "What is your inspiration for each scene in a novel?"

I think each scene needs to reveal character in some way and push the story forward. Each scene should also have a beginning, middle, and ending.

message 39: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stolarz | 25 comments Ariella wrote: "When did you start to read books?"

Good question. I was very average. Writing, on the other hand...I was writing stories before I could even put pen to paper, making up tall tales and telling them to whomever would listen.

message 40: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stolarz | 25 comments Lauren wrote: "Laurie - thank you for coming to our group to answer our questions! :)

What were some of your influences for this series?"

I think the success of my Blue is for Nightmare series was a big influence. I really loved writing that series. For one, I love the idea of exploring a character over the course of several books - "watching" them evolve and learn and change. For another, I wanted to continue exploring the paranormal/supernatural. In Blue is for Nightmares, Stacey practices folk magic. When that series was finished, I continued researching other paranormal/supernatural powers and came across the power of psychometry.

message 41: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stolarz | 25 comments Justine wrote: "Who are you outside of being an author?"

I'm a homework helper, cook, taxi driver, housekeeper, child psychologist, therapist, and Lego engineer.

message 42: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stolarz | 25 comments Karen wrote: "Eeepppp!!! Welcome Laurie! We're so excited you're joining us!

When you're writing, what items are typically strewn around you?"

Coffee, salty snacks, furry blanket (if I'm on the couch), my cat Holiday (if I'm in my office - he likes to sit on my desk while I work).

message 43: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stolarz | 25 comments Brooke wrote: "I love these books so much!!"

Thank you!!!

message 44: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stolarz | 25 comments Jenny wrote: "I'm so excited you are hanging out with us this week, Laurie! I totally fell in love with the Touch series and read them back to back very quickly!

So, the MC of the series, Camelia (love that na..."

I used to sculpt, but not so much anymore. I'd love to go back to it one day. I love to work in 3-D. When I was growing up, my mom worked in a pottery studio and I spent many hours there, working on projects.

message 45: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stolarz | 25 comments Katelyn wrote: "Thanks so much for answering our questions! :)

What is your writing routine?"

I love to read non-fiction. I love to learn new things. Most of the time it's about health and nutrition. Right now I'm reading a book about dyslexia. I also love to read suspenseful thriller books. I'm currently reading Sharp Objects.

message 46: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stolarz | 25 comments Lstolarz wrote: "Katelyn wrote: "Thanks so much for answering our questions! :)

What is your writing routine?"

I love to read non-fiction. I love to learn new things. Most of the time..."

message 47: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Thanks Laurie, great start! If at any point you need to find all the questions asked and which you've answered so far, check out message 1 at the top of this page, Jenny is keeping a running total with strikethroughs for the questions you've answered :)

We appreciate you joining us for this and for donating a couple books!

message 48: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Lstolarz wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I'm so excited you are hanging out with us this week, Laurie! I totally fell in love with the Touch series and read them back to back very quickly!

So, the MC of the series, Camelia..."

I wish I was good at sculpting, its definitely not my medium! lol Everything turns out warped when I try. I can, however, paint a finished piece just fine!

I really loved how in the subsequent books, you used Camelia's talent as the method of her psychic ability. Where did you come up with that idea?

message 49: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 38 comments Hi Laurie, first, let me thank you so much for this opportunity. You are a new author to me, and I already had a buddy read planned for today to read this book in another group, so when I saw that you were going to have a Q/A here, I just had to come on over! :o)

Question 1: I am intrigued by the cover. How did you decide on showing girl's partial body? Why not a face too?

Question 2: How do you decide on which POV to use when you write a book, and do you prefer one or more than one POV in general?

Question 3: Do you have any suggestions for me as I begin Deadly Little Secrets since I am a new reader of your work?

message 50: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stolarz | 25 comments Karen wrote: "Eeepppp!!! Welcome Laurie! We're so excited you're joining us!

I typically like to write in the morning, after school drop-off, and then continue until pick-up. Then it's taxi service to tennis and art classes. After that it's dinner and homework time. In the evening, when I'm not writing or answering e-mails, I love to watch mindless reality TV, since I've been using my brain all day.

When you're writing, what items are typically strewn around you?"

Coffee, salty snacks, my cat Holiday.

« previous 1