Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

Book News > CANADA READS - the competition begins

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brantford (last edited Mar 03, 2014 05:42PM) (new)

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
The panel and book titles for the 2014 session of the Canada Reads competition has been announced and the competition has started.

The theme for this years competition is "The novel that could change Canada".

Olympic Gold Medalist Donovan Bailey will defend Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan.

Half Blood Blues

Comedian and writer Samantha Bee will defend Cockroach by Rawi Hage

Cockroach

Actress Sarah Gadon will defend Annabel by Kathleen Winter

Annabel

Hip-hop artist, broadcaster and educator Wab Kinew will defend The Orenda by Joseph Boyden

The Orenda

Politician, broadcaster and diplomat Stephen Lewis will defend The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood.

The Year of the Flood (MaddAddam Trilogy, #2)

The debates and competition begin in March. These are very strong titles and an excellent panel and the upcoming debates should be interesting and fun.

Have you read any of these titles yet? Or do you intend to read any of them by March? Let us know what you think about the selection.

message 2: by Anna (last edited Nov 27, 2013 10:16AM) (new)

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments I think this is a great set of books for the competition. I have read Annabel and liked it but I'm about to start The Orenda this week and I quite sure it will be my favourite. I think I will also try to read Half Blood Blues before the March debates because it's been on my reading list for a long time and this will be the excuse I need to read it. I listened to the panel introduce themselves and their books this morning on CBC and they sounded like a fun group.Should be good.

message 3: by Brantford (last edited Mar 03, 2014 05:28PM) (new)

For those that are interested...Day 1 of the Canada Reads competition resulted in The Year of the Flood being voted out.

The following link will take you to the Canada Reads sight where you can watch the show if you like.

http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadareads/2...

message 4: by Brantford (new)

Day 2 & 3 of the competition has resulted in Half Blood Blues and Annabel being eliminated from the competition. Can't wait to see who ends up being the winner.

message 5: by Brantford (new)

Congratualtions to Joseph Boyden for winning the Canada Reads debates with his new book The Orenda.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/canada-re...

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments I've only read two of these books, The Orenda and Annabel but I think The Orenda is very worthy of winning the Canada Reads competition. It is an incredible look at Canadian history from very early on.

message 7: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 101 comments Yay, I just got this book and I'm really looking forward to reading it.

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kdrury) | 112 comments I'd like to read it but I wondered if I have to read Through Black Spruce first?

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments Kathryn wrote: "I'd like to read it but I wondered if I have to read Through Black Spruce first?"

I wouldn't worry about reading Through Black Spruce first. They are two very separate novels. The Orenda is not always an easy read and it wasn't my favourite of Boyden's books but I'm very glad I read it. It's the pre-Canada history that we don't learn much about in school. It's insightful.