Expats - The English-speaking French discussion

The Great Book of French Cuisine
This topic is about The Great Book of French Cuisine
Aliments et boissons > Favorite recettes françaises

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim Have a favorite recipe? A favorite cook book? Share here...

message 2: by Louise (new)

Louise Warman (louisewarman) | 6 comments Cook And The Gardener

I know it is a little old now, but I found this really useful as a gardener as much as for the recipes. We tend to eat only what is in season as it mostly comes from the plot, so this book was a good guide for planning the potager, too.
And an interesting foodie memoir to boot.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim Louise wrote: "Cook And The Gardener

I know it is a little old now, but I found this really useful as a gardener as much as for the recipes. We tend to eat only what is in season as it mostly com..."

Sounds like an interesting story between the chef and the gardener. We have a large garden here and produce a fair amount of our own food. My in-laws have been working this land for 50+ years. We also shop in the farmer's market every Saturday, and so tend to eat seasonally.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan (suze0501) | 20 comments Mod
Wasn't sure where to post this, so if moderators want to move to a new thread please feel free.

What's everyone doing for Christmas? I think we're a mixture of nationalities on this thread, and I'm not sure how many of us are partnered with a French national? Anyone doing Le Réveillon?

This will be our 7th Christmas in France, but we're both English. We did Le Réveillon the first year, but have reverted to a more traditional English-style Christmas since then, which works better for us. It's not that we didn't enjoy the French tradition, more that Christmas is about getting that warm cuddly feeling you got as a child, and familiar rituals, especially in unfamiliar surroundings are an important part of that. So it's roast turkey for us, usually about 5 o'clock in the afternoon, followed by Christmas pudding with brandy butter for those who like it, or mince pies for those who don't.

Nearly all the presents are wrapped, food shopping done, son arrives tomorrow - I'm going to potter happily around my kitchen today. Bliss!

Joyeux Noël tout le monde!

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim Susan wrote: "Wasn't sure where to post this, so if moderators want to move to a new thread please feel free.

What's everyone doing for Christmas? I think we're a mixture of nationalities on this thread, and I..."

We don't do Le Réveillon mostly because my in-laws are 92 and 86 years old. Instead, we do big meals on the 25th with the family, and on the first of the year with family and friends. Lots of food and drink both days.