Flower Mound Public Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Topics > Favorite Books of 2013!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Flower Mound Public Library (flowermoundpubliclibrary) | 105 comments Mod
What were your favorite books you read in 2013? Which books did you not enjoy as much?

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill (esperanzaj) Without a doubt my favorite book of 2013 was Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. This book was a masterpiece. Very emotional and thought-provoking.

I also read Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris. Sedaris is one of my favorite authors so I'm always excited to read something new by him. This wasn't my favorite book by him but it was entertaining.

Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld was really interesting but the ending bothered me.

message 3: by Regina (new)

Regina (regferk) | 11 comments I can't say that I have read all that many released this year but my favorites that I have read are as follows.

Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety by Eric Schlosser

The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri

Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital by Sheri Fink

Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan

Make Good Art by Neil Gaiman

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill (esperanzaj) Jill wrote: "Without a doubt my favorite book of 2013 was Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. This book was a masterpiece. Very emotional and thought-provoking.

I also read Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls b..."

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes was also a wonderful book. It was such a touching story without being cheesy or cliched. Also the dialogue was so clever.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 7 comments LOVED:
1. The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri
2. The Shining by Stephen King
3. Last Night I Sang to the Monster by Benjamin Alire Saenz
4. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
5. The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
6. Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
7. Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

DIDN'T LOVE:
I read and finished The Giver Quartet. Unfortunately I lost respect for the material when I read this article interviewing Lois Lowry:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/mag...

One point that pricked me in particular is when Lowry remarks she is "troubled by the fact that it’s children killing children" in Collins' Hunger Games series. Really? Lowry's characters hold extreme prejudices, euthanize 'spare' babies and old people, maim, and kill.

The author of the article, Dan Kois reminds readers of the "absurdity" that parents would choose to buy "hundreds of millions of dollars on books and movies in which children murder other children for sport" (incorrect synopsis) instead of being "outraged at such a story."

Because OBVIOUSLY, Hunger Games content could NEVER happen in real life- poverty, hunger, desperation, depression, becoming a stand-in caregiver for younger siblings when your parent has gone off the deep end, populations living in excess while others are dying on their feet, hostile governments, weapons put into the hands of children.

Lowry also criticizes other YA novels' action-packed content. “And that’s why they’re getting made into movies and mine has been out in Hollywood for 16 years — they can’t figure out where the action is.” Hopefully Lowry will eat her words now that The Giver is in production.

Gross. *Rant over.*

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 7 comments Regina wrote: "I can't say that I have read all that many released this year but my favorites that I have read are as follows.

Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Saf..."

Make Good Art. Reread the other day. Have made goal to reread this at least once a month. Thank you, Neil Gaiman.

message 7: by Regina (new)

Regina (regferk) | 11 comments I just finished Deep End of the Ocean by Neil Gaiman and I have to say that it is by far my favorite book of the year.

message 8: by Molly (new)

Molly | 10 comments I have to say the two best books I've read this year are "Sarah's Key" by Tatiana de Rosnay and "Game of Thrones" by George R.R. Brown. Could not put either of them down and was sad when they were finished. Fortunately, I have MANY more pages to savor in the Game of Thrones series.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.