Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Past nominations (closed) > January 2014 Classic Novel Discussion Nominations

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

How shall we kick off 2014?

Please use topic to nominate a Classic Science Fiction or Fantasy Novel you wish to discuss as a group next year in January, 2014 (beginning January 1 - New Year's Day, 2014.)

(A Classic novel would typically have been published prior to 1990 and be considered a popular, trailblazing or important work of science fiction or fantasy. It's best if the novel doesn't require having read previous novels in a series, so anyone can participate. Presumably, any actual "classic" is still in print!)

You can review past nominees and winners in the group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of our past group selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to.

Nominations will be open through Thursday, December 5, when we will collect the nominees and post a poll for one week so members can choose among them.

Note that this nomination is for January, 2014. Our December, 2013, Classic novel for discussion, The Man in the High Castle, has already been selected.

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark O'Donnell | 5 comments Hello

I would like to nominate Halcyon Drift by Brian Stableford published in 1972.

Mark

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele | 274 comments I'd like to nominate something by Octavia E. Butler, either Dawn or Kindred. (sorry can't do links from my tablet)

message 4: by Andreas (new)

Andreas I found another gap in this groups bookshelve: Arthur C. Clarke.
As a good contrast to Red Mars's space elevator, I'd like to nominate his The Fountains of Paradise which won Hugo and Nebula 1979/80. Someone told me that it's a great read!

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Areland (benebee) | 21 comments Moonsinger by Andre NortonMoonsinger

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2177 comments I'll nominate Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny again.

message 7: by Gene (new)

Gene Seconded to Lord of Light.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the fine nominations! Nominations are now closed. The poll is now open for final selection for January. Please Vote Here for the Classic Novel you want to discuss in the group in January, 2014. (Poll is open through Friday, December 13 - not to jinx anything.)

message 9: by Allynn (new)

Allynn Riggs (allynnriggs) | 45 comments Oh yes, I vote for Moonsinger by Andre Norton. It has been a while since I've buried myself in her books. I've just added a bunch to my "want to read" list even though I read most of them many years ago. Please let's read this one.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Allynn wrote: "Oh yes, I vote for Moonsinger by Andre Norton. It has been a while since I've buried myself in her books...."

Hey, Allynn. I'm glad you're interested in Andre Norton. I've set the voting up in the group's "Polls" section (see the collection of group navigation links in the upper right-hand section of this page. (assuming your using a desktop browser and not the Goodreads mobile app.)

I should probably have labeled the link in my previous message Click Here to Cast Your Vote .

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

It's Friday the 13th, and it's your bad luck that this is the final day to vote for the Classic Novel you want to discuss with the group in the new year.

Click Here to Cast Your Vote

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 14, 2013 04:27AM) (new)

Our group selection for January, 2014, Classic Novel Discussion is:

Moonsinger by Andre Norton Moonsinger by Andre Norton

The discussion is scheduled to begin January 1, 2014, New Year's Day! Bring your hangover treatment of choice.

("Moonsinger " is a compilation of "Moon of Three Rings" (1966) and "Exiles Of The Stars" (1971))

message 13: by Allynn (new)

Allynn Riggs (allynnriggs) | 45 comments Excellent. I just picked it up along with a couple other Norton books. I will start reading as soon as I finish a western romance I was given, "Colorado Promise" by Charlene Whitman. A present from a friend who thinks I need to switch to her favorite genre. I am already about halfway through so I will be reading Moonsinger before Christmas.