Mr. Kovach's 7th and 8th period reading group discussion

reading questions of the week due 11-27-13

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mr. Kovach (new)

Mr. Kovach (ckovachfranklinboeorg) | 25 comments Mod
1) In Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed, why did Harry Bittering and his family move to Mars? Use textual evidence to support your answer.

2) Why did they stay there for so long?

3) A "circular plot" in a story is one where the story ends the same way it began. Describe how Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed contains a circular plot (how does it end the same way it began??).

4) See page 485 and answer the following question: What happens in the story that gives the story its title?

5) Describe the setting in this story and how this setting affects Harry Bittering. Write at least as long as the example you saw in the mini-lesson today. USE YOUR POST-ITS to help you with this! Use at least two examples of TEXTUAL EVIDENCE to support your answer, and at least TWO THOUGHT PROMPTS.

6) Is the book you are currently reading on your "currently reading" shelf?

7) Are all the books you have finished reading since September on your "read" shelf?

message 2: by Sydney (new)

Sydney  Quinto (sydneyquinto) | 5 comments 1) They moved to mars because the earth was no longer safe.
2) the rockets in NY blew up
3)

message 3: by Sydney (new)

Sydney  Quinto (sydneyquinto) | 5 comments 3) a circuler plot is when the character ends up in the same place they started
4) its called dark they were and golden eyes because the martians had dark skin and gold eyes

message 4: by Kamari (new)

Kamari Kelton | 17 comments 1.) In Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed Harry Bittering and his family moved to Mars because there was a war on Earth. (TE)" Atom bombs hit New York!'
2.) The Bitterings stayed on Mars for so long because (TE) " All the space rockets blown up!" I found this answer on page 481.
3.) In the beginning of the story it talked about the Martian landscape. At the end of the story the lieutenant talked about the landscape. The beginning are both talking about the scenery of Mars but, they are worded differently.
4.) The title Dark They Were and Golden Eyed got its name from the character's in the story. The Bittering's were mutating to martians, they had dark skin and yellow eyes. I found my answer on page 485.
5.) The setting effects the character Harry Bittering because he is scared. He is scared because he is not familiar with the surroundings and how to deal with the changes that are happening. For example (TE) the roses that they grew turned green and their cow was growing a third horn. From my understanding a cow is supposed to have two horns and roses supposed to be red. Harry probably was concerned to eat the things that they have grown on Mars because they might mutate just like the crops, the flowers, and their cow. I found this answer on page 483.
6.) I changed my currently reading book to my read shelf. I was reading Hunger Games Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins.
7.) No I don't think so but I will update it today.

message 5: by kv (new)

kv (kellysopinion) | 19 comments 1) Harry moved to mars because the atom bomb was going to hit Earth one day.
2)They stayed there for such a long time because atom bombs hit New York and all the space rockets have been blown up.
3)The humans that traveled to Mars changed. Their skin got darker and their eyes were golden so the humans thought they were martians.This is what happened in the beginning and the end.
4) What gave the story it's title was the way the humans began to change. T. E. ''Dark she was and golden eyed.''
5) The setting of the story is on Mars where it's so sunny and hot.It has never even rained there. This is important because it makes whoever goes to Mars have dark skin.This is part of the reason Harry wants to go home. Harry doesn't like adapting to Mars. Harry doesn't want to change,for example the T.E is ''Well eat this stuff and then we'll change.'' This causes Harry to want to go home. T. E ''Let's go back on the rocket.''
Another important setting was in their house in Harry's garden.This is important because T. E. it helps Harry ''keep his mind free from earth. ''It also shows when he feels alone. Harry is the only one who wants to go back to Earth so he feels very alone. Because Harry is the only one who wants to go home,he has to make a rocket by himself. T .E '' We must get away!'' Nobody else want to get away with Harry.
6) yes
7) yes

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex | 25 comments 1. They went to Mars to avoid getting bombed on, on earth. TE-"one day an atom om will fix earth''.

2. They stayed there because a bomb hit earth were the rockets are.

3.It ends by people coming to rescue them 5 years later when the first humans turned into Martians. Then they will turn into martians.

4.The story has the title because the people turn into martians which are golden eyed and dark skinned.

6.Yes it is.

7. Yes.

5.In this book the setting is on mars, were it is windy dark and scary.TE-''his hair fluttered'' (in the wind).The setting effects the main character harry because he is scared of what mars is doing to his family and friends. Mars is making his family want to be like a marsian. THey want to change there names and want to stay on mars. This makes me realize that harry does not like mars.

Another setting in this story is the town on the hill. They want to move up there but harry doesn't. He is the only one not hypnotized by mars. TE-''everyone is going'' (to the village).
THis makes me realize that harry wants to go back to earth.

message 7: by Nil (new)

Nil Patel (firedestroyer) | 20 comments 1)because of a war on earth TE:"A atom bomb will fix earth and we'll be safe on mars ..."
2)they stayed because there were no rockets and because nobody came for them
3)the story started on mars as a problem to survive and it ended on mars
4)harry's family member's were dark and their eyes were yellow like the title "dark they were and golden eyed"
5)the setting in this story is on mars.its windy and dirty and red.harry and his family have moved to mars to stay away from the war.in the book it says-"one day the atom bomb will fix earth and we'll be safe here ...."they learn that all the rockets are destroyed and nobody will come and get them.
one more important detail is that when their friends came to save them they didn't know them.they had all turned dark and golden eyed.in the book it says that-"they hadn't the foggiest notion of what happened to them...."this is important because those are the people from earth.they don't remember any thing.
6)yes
7)yes

Jordanjamilmann | 14 comments 1.Harry Bittering and his family moved to mars because there was going to be a nuclear war on earth.
2.They stayed there for so long because there was a war going on at the planet earth.
3.The circular plot is when another rocket ship comes to mars and in the begging a rocket ship comes to mars.
4.There skin color gets darker and their eye color changes to bright gold.
5.The setting in the story effects mr.bittering in a couple of ways.It changes him physically because the food he grew started to change because mars was starting to change.This makes me realize that not just earth is the only planet changing.Also it makes him realize that mars might not be a bad place to live.Mr.bittering came to mars with his family because earth was in a nuclear war.Things might not seem as they appear is a theme i picked for a part in this book.it showed that life on mars is hard when the planet starts to change when you adapt to the place where you arrived before the changes.This is similar to moving to a new place because when you lived some where for a while you get used to that place forever.Mr.bittering and his family are getting used to it but they still are still getting used to mars.
6.yes
7.yes

message 9: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Grant | 15 comments 1.They moved to mars because they wanted to get a diffrent mix of wars

2the rockets blew up in new york

3 it is a when a character ends up in the same place they started

4it is called that because martin had dark skin and gold eyes

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Jaquez | 17 comments 1) They they moved to mars because earth wasn't safe anymore.
2) The rockets in new york exploded
3) the story ends the same way because in the begining because now they have to stay there and try to make a living there.
4) That they are realizing that a martian disease is spreading
5) it is dry and scary it makes it scary and now they know a disease is spreading.
6) no i have to find a new one because i just finished my book.
7) Yes.

message 11: by Ajay (new)

Ajay (captainkilljoy) | 19 comments 1.) In Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed Harry Bittering and his family moved to Mars because there was a war on Earth. (TE)" Atom bombs hit New York!'
2.) The Bitterings stayed on Mars for so long because (TE) " All the space rockets blown up!" I found this answer on page 481.
3.) In the beginning of the story it talked about the Martian landscape. At the end of the story the lieutenant talked about the landscape. The beginning are both talking about the scenery of Mars but, they are worded differently.
4.) The title Dark They Were and Golden Eyed got its name from the character's in the story. The Bittering's were mutating to martians, they had dark skin and yellow eyes. I found my answer on page 485.
5.)The setting of the story is on mars and on mars it is yery dry, hot, and windy. People have just moved to mars to be safe since there is a war going on, on earth.Harry is one of the people that came to mars from earth and was noticing changes in thinds and how friends and family.Because of this the other people that have already almost changed thinks that hard is crazy.Harry dosent like mars and was trying to build a rocket from metal parts without any help.I think the theme of this book is that "Some things arent ment to be done".
6.)yes
7.)yes

message 12: by Edstelle (last edited Nov 27, 2013 01:28PM) (new)

Edstelle Jacques | 22 comments 1.) They moved to Mars because the Earth was no longer safe."Let's get back on the rocket."
2.) They stayed there for so long because, where they had come from,New York, the rockets had blown up and they couldn't go back.
3.)Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed is a circulator plot because in the end the people that came to save them became martians as well as the people in the beginning.
4.) What happened in the story that gave the story a title was that Cora became a martian and it quoted " Dark she was and Golden-Eyed."
5.) The setting in the story affects Harry Bittering because he felt different all the time and he wanted his family to believe him ,but they didn't.This is important because it could mean that he is right and that his family and his life is in danger.
6.)Yes the book I'm currently reading is on my "currently-reading" shelf.
7.) Yes,all my books I finished reading since September are on my "read" shelf.

message 13: by Samya (new)

Samya Reid (APEX_QUEEEN) | 16 comments 1)Harry and his family moved to mars cause their rocket went to mars and they were stuck on mars
2)They were on mars 4 a long time because their rocket was broke and mr.bittering was trying to fix it
3)the ppl go to mars and then they turned to martians

message 14: by Avani (new)

Avani | 27 comments 1).Harry Bittering and his family moved to Mars because there was a bomb on Earth. T.E.="One day the atom bomb will fix Earth."
2).They stayed there for so long because all the space rockets on Earth blew up and there was no way of getting back.
3).Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed contains a circular plot because in the begining of the story things started to change like the cows and the roses and then in thew end Harry and his family were changing too.
4).The thing that gives the story the title on page 485 is when the kids eyes start turning yellow.
5). The story Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed is about a guy named Harry Bittering and his wife and kids who have to go to Mars because there is a bomb on Earth. Harry really hates Mars and wants to go back home. That's why when he hears that the rockets to take people to Earth have been blown up he is not happy. T.E.="Atomb bombs hit New York!All the space rockets blown up. No more rockets to Mars, ever." What is really interesting about this book is that it takes place in Mars and describes what it would be like to live on mars.The real turning point in the story is when everything starts changing. I WILL FINISH LATER

message 15: by Rusil (last edited Nov 27, 2013 11:20AM) (new)

Rusil | 22 comments 1)They went to mars so they can protect themselves from the war on earth. TE-"One day the atom bomb will fix Earth. Then we'll be safe here."

2)They stayed there for so long because all the rockets blown up when the atom bombs hit New York.

3)In the story "Dark they were, And Golden Eyed," the family which came from to the earth to mars to protect them selves they turned in to Martians,and also at the end other humans turned into martians too.

4)Harry started saying in martians language, and his eyes turned golden like a martian,and Harry became thinner and taller.

5)The setting of the story is on Mars where the place looks like a desert. TE-The picture at the beginning.Harry and his family came to Mars to protect themselves from the war on earth. This connect with the another story all summer in a day, in that story a girl went to Venus and lived her life there.So Harry feel a little safe there but was scared because of the martians.TE-"Something made him check everything each morning – warm hearth, potted blood-geraniums - precisely as if he expected something to be amiss." Harry brought some seeds from earth to plant earth food there, but when he saw the crops they were all mutated. The carrots and onions changed their color and the cow started growing third horn. I thing this happened because of the atmosphere in Mars. After that Harry and his family were also turned like Martians. Their eyes turned Gold their eye ball looked like the Earth. Then Harry decided to make his own rocket to go back to earth. Because on earth all the rocket blown up when the bomb hit New York. So Harry decided to go to earth in autumn because it is cooler in autumn.

6)Yes

7)Yes

message 16: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 1 comments 1) they moved to mars because they wanted to not be in the mix of the war
2)they stade there for so long because they where making a rocket to go back to earth
3)in the beginning of this story he tried to get off of mars at the end the same thing he wonted to go to earth.
4) they where wonting to go theta earth but could not.

message 17: by Samya (new)

Samya Reid (APEX_QUEEEN) | 16 comments 4) when the wife and the kids started turning into Martians

message 18: by Avani (new)

Avani | 27 comments T.E.=" The roses are turning green and the cows were growing a third horn. I think that Harry is just overwhelmed by his surroundings and misses his home.
6).Yes
7). Yes

message 19: by Jared (new)

Jared Michael Lugo (jaredlugo) | 3 comments 1.) In Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed Harry Bittering and his family moved to mars because there was a war on Earth. TE. "Atom Bombs hit New York!!!!!!!" 2.) They stood on Mars because all of the rockets blew up. TE. "All of the space rockets blew up!" 3.) Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed is a circular plot because towards the beginning of the story the plants and the cow mutated into something else and then towards the end of the story the family mutated too. 4.) The title Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed got its name from the character's in the story. The Bittering's were mutating to martians they had dark skin and yellow eyes. 5.) The setting affects Harry because he is scared. He is not used to his surroundings and to deal with the weird things that are happening. TE.)For example the cow mutated and grew a third horn and the roses turned a different color. Harry was probably freaking out because he didn't know what was going on because he has never seen anything like it, I would probably freak out like Harry! Harry was probably worrying about mutating just like the cow and the roses. We all can just say that he wasn't adapting well to the planet. I found this information on page 483. 6.) Yes, the book I am currently reading is the "Hunger Games" and it is on my reading shelf. 7.) No, because I am a new student and I have arrived here only a week ago. Sincerely, Jared Lugo

message 20: by Aleria (new)

Aleria | 13 comments 1)In Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed Harry Bittering and his family moved to mars because there was bombing back on Earth.TE."Atom bombs hit new york!!!!1!!1!!!!!"
2)they stood n mars because all of the rockets blew up.TE."all of h space rockets blew up!"
3)

message 21: by Tamir (new)

Tamir | 20 comments 1)Harry bitter man went to Mars because in the book it said just wait till the war over then we will go back home.
2)They stayed there so long because the rocket that brought them there just left them there.
3) the similar story plot is that the humans become mations if they stay on the plant with the mars oxygen that can change them then when someone tries to save them they might stay there to long and also to become Martians.
4)the story has this title because in the book it said there eyes were turning golden and Harry was in a dark place at that time.
5)

message 22: by Dar'rosa (new)

Dar'rosa | 21 comments 1)Harry Bittering and his family moved to Mars because one day the atom bomb would hit Earth.
2) They stayed there for so long because the atom bomb hit Earth and blew up all the space rockets.

message 23: by Dar'rosa (new)

Dar'rosa | 21 comments 3) The circular plot with the beginning and end is when Harry and his family turn into Martian.
4) They turn into Martians with dark skin and golden eyes.
5)The setting of the story is on Mars, it's a windy and dusty place. Any moment the Martian air might draw his soul from him, as marrow comes from white bone. Another is he felt submerged in a chemical that could dissolve his intellect and burn away his past.
6)yes
7)yes