Mr. Kovach 4th and 5th period reading group discussion

reading questions of the week due 11-27-13

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mr. Kovach (new)

Mr. Kovach (ckovachfranklinboeorg) | 25 comments Mod
1) In Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed, why did Harry Bittering and his family move to Mars? Use textual evidence to support your answer.

2) Why did they stay there for so long?

3) A "circular plot" in a story is one where the story ends the same way it began. Describe how Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed contains a circular plot (how does it end the same way it began??).

4) See page 485 and answer the following question: What happens in the story that gives the story its title?

5) Describe the setting in this story and how this setting affects Harry Bittering. Write at least as long as the example you saw in the mini-lesson today. USE YOUR POST-ITS to help you with this! Use at least two examples of TEXTUAL EVIDENCE to support your answer, and at least TWO THOUGHT PROMPTS.

6) Is the book you are currently reading on your "currently reading" shelf?

7) Are all the books you have finished reading since September on your "read" shelf?

message 2: by Barkisu (last edited Nov 27, 2013 07:53AM) (new)

Barkisu | 20 comments 1.) Harry Bittering and his family moved to Mars because there is an Nuclear Attack on Earth and Earth is slowly blowing up. "A radio flash just came. Atom Bombs hit New York."
2.) They stay on Mars because Mars is much more safer than Earth. "One day the atom bomb will fix Earth. Then we'll be safe here."
3.) The Dark they were and Golden-Eyed the story ended the same way it began because there still on Mars but there making the Mars the permanent home.
4.)What happen in the story to give it this title is the Martians are actually dark and golden eyed so it makes a lot sense to call the story " Dark They were and Golden-Eyed " because that how they were.
5.) The setting of the story is Mars. Everything is red, They have strong winds ,and odd hills and towns. At the beginning Harry is not into staying on Mars to because of how bad it looks and seems. All the children don't like it either because of how creepy and weird it is.This makes me think that Mars is weirder than it seems. Though Harry wanted to leave his wife did 'nt want to be on Earth when there might be and atom bomb about to blow Earth. In a lot of movies when a character is weird or crazy the say there from Mars.Thought they hope things get better.

message 3: by Kaihree (new)

Kaihree | 18 comments 1. they moved because new york was going to be bombed and they were scared of it happening.
2. because they were still scared about the bombing and it was safer there.
3.in the end it was dark because when the sun came it got brighter and when the sun went away it dark just like it was in the beginning.
4.it gives it the title by it being dark out on mars with no sun and the author wanted to give it a title he named it that because it was dark.
5.because where he was it was really dark so he decided to not use the sun because to him he was used to being dark outside and mostly everyone else was not and thought that it wasn't suppose to be that dark that he really wanted to see the sun.and this effected him by he was able to see the sun and to him that was the nice side of his life because he was in the dark so long that he forgot what it was like ti see the sun.
6.yes
7.yes

message 4: by Kyana (last edited Nov 27, 2013 07:51AM) (new)

Kyana | 20 comments 1. Harry and his family wanted to move to mars because they heard that new york were they were from was going to get boomed. I know this because in the book it said that was why they left from
new york to mars.

2. The family stayed there because they found out that it was really boomed and they had to stay because there was no more rockets because the got ruined in new york. My evidence was that on page 485 it should a whole paragraph about it.

3.The story ends the same as the begining because it talks about how they have landed on mars and they are staying there until the boom is gone but they have to stay there because the rockets are gone but they find out there are more.

4. The reason why the story got its title is because in the story it says on page 485that it was a dark night and they could not see anything and then the martians came and dark they were.

5. The setting in dark they were was that it was a dark but colorful place that was weird the setting describes harry because het was scared on mars because he was worried he will be there forever and the martians would get him. My evidence is on page 482 when it said harry was worried that they would be stuck there forever. this makes me reliaze that the world is something you would wanted to live in forever and never would want to be serrated. This is simalaer to diary of a wimpy kid when they talk about how greg would never want to leave his house or world.

6.yes the book i am reading is in my currently reading shelf and is about to be on read shelf.

7.yes all the books i have read since september are in my read shelf.

message 5: by chris (new)

chris | 19 comments 1. Harry and his family wanted to move to mars because they heard that new york were they were from was going to get boomed. I know this because in the book it said that was why they left from
new york to mars.

2. The family stayed there because they found out that it was really boomed and they had to stay because there was no more rockets because the got ruined in new york. My evidence was that on page 485 it should a whole paragraph about it.

3.The story ends the same as the begining because it talks about how they have landed on mars and they are staying there until the boom is gone but they have to stay there because the rockets are gone but they find out there are more.

4. The reason why the story got its title is because in the story it says on page 485that it was a dark night and they could not see anything and then the martians came and dark they were.

5. The setting in dark they were was that it was a dark but colorful place that was weird the setting describes harry because het was scared on mars because he was worried he will be there forever and the martians would get him.

6.yes the book i am reading is in my currently reading shelf and is about to be on read shelf.

7.yes all the books i have read since september are in my read shelf

message 6: by Alan (last edited Nov 27, 2013 07:52AM) (new)

Alan | 15 comments 1) Harry and his family went to mars because they were good to bomb new york. The textual evidence is when one of the characters said "One day is the atom bomb will fix Earth." As in the saying that one day earth will blow up.
2.) They stayed their so long because the rocket ship got damaged.
3.) In the end of the story people come back to come rescue the family but then the people that came back to rescue the family got stuck in mars because the rocket ship got destroyed.
4) On page 485 they found the title when it said "lying abed, Mr.Bittering fle his bones shifted, shaped, melted like gold. His wife, lying beside him, was dark from many sunny afternoon. Dark she was and golden-eyed, burnt almost black by the sun, sleeping, and the children metallic in their beds, and the wind roaring forlorn and changing through the old peach tress, the violent grass, shaking out green rose petals.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael | 25 comments 1.they moved to mars because of a nuclear war.some evidence is that the book said that a nuke lear bomb struck new york.also,more evidence is that it plainly said that they moved there because of a nuclear war.
2.they had to stay there for so long because a nuclear missile struck new york and destroyed all the rockets so the people on mars cant be picked up to go back to earth.
3.it starts off them being on mars and them ending up turning into Martians and saying on mars.
4.the story gets its title because everybody mutated.
5.the setting of the story takes place on mars.when all of the humans landed on mars,they didn't know they where going to mutate.the main character,harry bittering really didn't want to go to mars but they have to because of a nuclear war.I know this because in the book is says that there was a nuclear war going out on earth and that they had to go to mars so they don't get killed.Also i know this because in the book one of the characters said that the rockets to come pick them up from mars was destroyed by a nuclear bomb.like i was saying harry bittering didn't want to move to mars because he was getting home sick.I think harry bittering is sort of a sensitive guy because everybody in his family really didn't care if they are on mars but harry really isn't sure a bout living on mars.this book is similar to another book i read called all sumer in a day.the main character is margot.margot and harry are alike because they really didn't want to be on the other planets.Also,in addition harry and margot really miss earth.since all of the rockets where destroyed on earth all the humans are stuck on mars including harry and his family,they will never see earth again.
6.yes it is.
7.yes.

message 8: by Coolster (last edited Nov 27, 2013 07:52AM) (new)

Coolster Freeman (TheBeast1239) | 15 comments 1. They moved because new york was going to be bombed and they were scared of it happening.

2. They stayed because they were still scared about the bombing and it was safer there.

3. in the end it was dark because when the sun came it got brighter and when the sun went away it dark just like it was in the beginning.

4. it gives it the title by it being dark out on mars with no sun and the author wanted to give it a title he named it that because it was dark.

5. The setting in dark they were was that it was a dark but colorful place that was weird the setting describes harry because het was scared on mars because he was worried he will be there forever and the martians would get him.

6. yes it is

7. yes it is

message 9: by Josue (last edited Nov 27, 2013 07:52AM) (new)

Josue | 11 comments 1)Harry and his family left because there was a war currently going on.I think this because "Mother, Father-the war,Earth!".

2)They had to stay there for so long because the war and atom bombs destroyed New York along with rockets.They say this in the radio."Atom bombs hit New York. All space rockets blown up.

3)It starts with harry and his family arriving at a settlement and then becoming martians. Five years after the events with harry and his family,help

message 10: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana | 14 comments 1) In the story dark they were, and golden eyed Harry Bittering and his family moved to mars. They did this because there was an atom bomb on Earth that would "fix" it. TE: "One day the atom bomb will fix Earth, then we'll be safe here."
2) They stayed their for a very long time. There was many reasons why. One big reason was because when the Atom bomb went off in NY and all of the rockets from Earth to Mars had been broken. This started a war. TE "a radio flash just came. Atom bombs hit New York! All the space rockets have blown up. No more rockets to Mars, ever!"
3) Its amazing how the story starts and ends. In the begging the family (un including Mr.Bittering) was mesmerized by the beauty of Mars even if fear was still in the picture. At the end of the story, 5 years later, when the war was one more people were sent to rescue the people on Mars. They were also mesmerized by the beauty. TE: "The lieutenant snapped his gaze from the blue color and quiet mist of the hills beyond town. What? Oh yes sir."
4) The sun made their skin go dark, because they were so close to it because of the heat and sun it also made their eyes become a lot lighter. So they had dark skin and golden eyes.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 7 comments 1.) Harry and his family moved to mars because there's a nuclear attack on planet Earth and its getting destroyed place by place. "A radio flash just came.Atom Bombs hit New York."
2.)They stayed there because they think that its safer then Earth now.
3.)The end is the same as he beginning because its how they landed on earth ...to be continued bro.

message 12: by Fefeta (new)

Fefeta Lalonde (RougeofHeart) | 20 comments 1) Harry Bittering moved to mars because there is a nuclear Bomb attack on Earth and it isn't safe. TE: "A radio flash just came in, Atom Bombs just hit NewYork! All the space rockets blown up. No more rockets to Mars, Forever!"
2) The family stayed there for so long because Earth wasn't safe anymore due to the war. As much as they wanted to leave the atmosphere in the air changed them and their minds. Turning them into Martians which wanted to stay on Mars.
3) So the story begins with humans coming to Earth, slowly they changed to Martians. Their memory erased and their whole past changed, them the second rocket came 5 years later to inform that the war was over. But i had a feeling that the people on the second rocket would try to make a civilization on Mars but slowly the atmosphere in Mars would change them to Martians too.
4) "Dark they were" as in their change in skin color which turned into a dark blackish grayish and "golden-eyed" as in the change in their (their as in humans) eye color from hazel, blue ect to a bright golden color. TE; "Sam," Bittering said. "Your eyes--" "what about them Harry" "didnt they use to be gray?" "Well now I dont remember, why do you ask, Harry?" "But now they're kinda Yellow"
5) It took place in a dry desert which had some trees and rivers. The Bittering family brought earth soil. Carrots were different colors and the cow grew a third horn!
6)yes
7)Yes sir! *smiley face* NOT DONE YET

message 13: by Ayessa14 (last edited Dec 06, 2013 07:28AM) (new)

Ayessa14 | 16 comments 1.)Mr.Harry Bittering and his family move to mars because the earth will be destroyed by atom bomb war..
T.E:at pg.480 "one day the atom bomb will fix Earth.then will be safe here"laura said.
2.)Because THERE'S a WAR happening on earth and it destroyed the rocket ships that picks them up.
3.)What happened in the end,is that after five years soldiers from earth came to rescue the other people on earth that stayed on mars and they said that they won earth,but they were already too late to save them because they already turned into martians,and the soldiers didn't realize that the martians that they spoke to..are the people on earth that they left in mars...and the soldiers after seeing the place around they'd planned on staying on mars too!..so it's like it would be like the same thing that would happened just like those 1st people who first landed on mars.
4.)T.E:"Dark she was,and golden-eyed,burnt almost black by the sun."
5.)The one part of the setting in the story is that made Mr.harry bittering felt worried and scared..

message 14: by Jocelyn (last edited Nov 27, 2013 04:05PM) (new)

Jocelyn Galindo | 18 comments 1.) Harry and his family moved to mars because there's a nuclear attack on planet Earth and its getting destroyed place by place. "A radio flash just came. Atom bombs hit New York."
2.) They stayed there for so long because they only had one rocket ship and that rocket ship got damaged.
3.) In the end of the story people come back to come rescue the family but then the people that came to rescue the family got stuck in Mars because the rocket ship got destroyed.
4.) On page 485 they found the title when it said "Lying abed, Mr.Bittering felt his bones shifted, shaped, melted like gold. His wife, lying beside him, was dark from many sunny afternoons. Dark she was and golden-eyed, burnt almost black by the sun, sleeping, and the children metallic in their beds, and the wind roaring forlorn and changing through the old peach trees, the violent grass, shaking out green rose petals.
5.) The setting in the story was in Mars. The setting affects Harry because he starts feeling weird in Mars feeling that he does not belong there.At first in the beginning of the story he said "lets go back to Earth." But his wife said "No, Earth Is going to get bombed." They had no choice but but to stay on Mars because their rocket ship got blown up/damaged. Later on in the book there come some other people and to rescue them but then the same thing happens to the people that came to the rescue they also get stuck in Mars because the rocket ship got damaged.
6.)Yes the book i am reading is in my currently reading shelf and is about to be on read shelf.
7.) Yes all the books I have read since september are in my read shelf.

message 15: by Janally1220 (new)

Janally1220 | 21 comments 1).Harry bittering and his family moved to mars because there is an nuclear attack on earth and earth is blowing up. 'A radio flash came. Atom bombs hit new york."

message 16: by Amor (new)

Amor | 10 comments 1] Harry and his family moved to mars because there is" an Atom bomb hit New York" said Harrys daughter.
2] The Bittering's stayed there for so long because its so much better than earth. And that Mars wasn't exploding like earth was.
3] It ended the same way it started because they started in mars and ended in mars.
4] Dark They Were, And Golden-Eyed it ended the same as the title. Because the story says the same thing as the beginning.
5] The setting

message 17: by Aaron (last edited Nov 27, 2013 11:04AM) (new)

Aaron | 23 comments 1) The family moved to Mars because there is going to be a nuclear war. Textual evidence is ''One day the atom bomb will fix Earth.''
2) They stayed there so long because there is no more rocket ships to get back to Earth because the bomb destroyed them.
3) The circular plot in the story Dark They were and Golden Eyed is that they are still on Mars, because at the start of the story they were on Mars and at the end of the story they are still on Mars.
4) The book got the title Dark They Were , And Golden Eyed by because there were periods of darkness when the martians came and no sun and it told how his wife was burnt by the sun.
5) The setting is Mars. Mars is red and hot with strong winds. It also has odd hills. Harry feels scared and not safe on Mars. He also does not want to stay on Mars. Textual evidence to support this is when Harry went to bed he felt scared because of the rocks hitting the glass and the strong winds. In another instance Harry shows how extremely worried he is about being stuck on Mars forever and never getting home. A thought prompt for this story is that this is similar to the Hunger Games because in both books the character is fighting to get home and does not want to be there. Another thought prompt is the relationship Harry has to me because I also feel scared and unsafe if I go to a new place that I am not sure of just like Harry.
6) Yes, the book I am currently reading is on my currently reading shelf.
7) Yes, all the books I have read since September are on my read shelf.

message 18: by Yusef (new)

Yusef Cole | 8 comments 1) in the book Dark they were and golden-Eyed Harry Bittering and his family moved to mars because Harry explained to his family that they were there because they were going to blow up earth on page480

2) they stayed there so long because they waited for the atom bomb to fix earth.

3) story ended like it started because the sun came and it went away like in the beginning

4) bcause its dark on mars

5) theb setting is dark because the family is doing wrong because the are blowing up earth and the sun didnt come up

6) yes the wizard of oz

7)yes they are

message 19: by Taj (new)

Taj (UhTaj) | 21 comments 1} The Bitterings moved to Mars because on earth there is a nuclear war happening.
2} They stayed longer on Mars because of a bomb that exploded on earth.
3} It ends by the Bitterings going to back to planet earth.
4} During the story the Bitterings make a garden to make food to eat. They find out that the soil on Mars changes the color of the plants but not the taste. To the Bitterings this is fascinating.
5} Harry is feeling homesick and he doesnt like the fact that they are living on Mars.
6} Yes it is.
7} Yessir

message 20: by Amor (new)

Amor | 10 comments 1]The Bitterings moved to mars because Earth has a nuclear war happening.
2] They stayed on Mars for a long time because a bomb exploded on earth.
3] The book ends with the Bitterings go back to earth.
4] In page 485 the soil changed and the Bitterings found it amazing.
5] Harry is felling homesick and doesn't want to live on mars any more.
6] No its not.
7]No.