The Kindle Chronicles discussion

Tech Support for Your Kindle > Software Update for Kindle Fire HD

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Campbell (stevecampbellfl) | 8 comments I set about trying to update the software on my Kindle Fire HD yesterday and see that the software update supporting the Goodreads integration is only available for something called the 2nd generation Kindle Fire HD. I bought my Kindle Fire HD on the day it was released last year (September 2012) so its only 14 months old. It seems strange that after about a year I'm 2 generations behind, and won't be getting this latest software update. Am I missing something here?

I intentionally skipped the Kindle Fire knowing something like this could happen, but I'm surprised to see that it happened with a second generation devise. I'm rarely disappointed by anything Amazon does, but this really disappoints me.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Bready | 8 comments I think from what I've heard on one of the TKC sessions Len posed that question to a Mayday Tech and was told to "stay tuned". It very well may be that Amazon just needs additional time to update the code for both the Paperwhite (original) and the Kindle Fire HD (and I have one of those too). Don't give up hope just yet!

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Campbell (stevecampbellfl) | 8 comments Thanks Susan - I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

message 4: by Tom (last edited Dec 03, 2013 09:44PM) (new)

Tom | 98 comments I thought I was going to make it through the year without buying a new Kindle but could not pass up the $50 off Cyber Monday deal on the 'new, improved' Fire HD 16GB @$119 (I was actually hoping there would be such a deal so I was Primed for it as it were).

The HDX deal was also good but after I saw the 'blue bleed' phenomenon on a demo unit at Best Buy (which Amazon claims is 'normal') I could not consider getting one, it was really distracting to me, at least with that particular unit (but people were reporting multiple failed attempts to get one that was not distracting to them). It is mostly only the reading app that would be affected but that is where I would be spending most of my time.

Though it does not seem to be getting a lot of attention, new Fire HD is a more or less complete redesign: lighter, narrower, faster, while shedding some of the hardware features of the original (no camera, mic, MiMo wifi, HDMI output). Plus it is running on Android 4.2.2 instead of 4.0.3, which should confer some performance gains over and above the faster CPU gains. Apparently it supports Second Screen and maybe Miracast.

I doubt the original Fire HD will get 'Mojito' features (given they may be tightly bound to underlying Android) but I think it would be smart for them to add Goodreads integration and Cloud Collections. However the track record on Fire devices is not encouraging: the only feature-bearing update the original Fire (which I still have) got once the next generation Fires shipped was parental controls I think. I had hoped for improvements to the reading app.

message 5: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Campbell (stevecampbellfl) | 8 comments That makes senses, but is disappointing. I hadn't heard about the 'blue bleed' issue and nearly pulled bought an HDX on Cyber Monday, but didn't. I did get the new paperwhite when it was released, so I'll eventually get the goodreads integration that way.

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom | 98 comments Stephen wrote: "That makes senses, but is disappointing. I hadn't heard about the 'blue bleed' issue and nearly pulled bought an HDX on Cyber Monday, but didn't. I did get the new paperwhite when it was released..."

There is another sale today, almost as good.

Obviously there are a lot of people who are loving their HDX (there is some variability with the screen issue) and I'm not here to tell them they should not do so. But for my requirements, I've saved $60 and getting everything I want from a Fire by going with the HD2, with (in my mind) less risk of needing to return.

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Campbell (stevecampbellfl) | 8 comments Ugh - I missed it, but presumably they'll be running another. I going to start keeping an eye out. Thanks.