Classics Without All the Class discussion

General > Favourite CWatC book of the year?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martin (new)

Martin Waterhouse Looking back at the selection of books CWatC has read this year, I reckon that 'Anna Karenina' was my biggest pleasant surprise but that 'The Handmaid's Tale' was my favourite novel we read this year. What's yours?

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 464 comments Tie between Handmaid's Tale and the Life of Pi.

message 3: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) The assorted Sherlock novels and Fahrenheit 451.

message 4: by Tee (new)

Tee Fahrenheit for sure.
And I read The Handmaid's Tale ages ago. If not, it might have been my favourite.

message 5: by Martin (new)

Martin Waterhouse We sure do have a liking for those dystopian novels, don't we? ;-)

message 6: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments I really like Life of Pi, more then I ever thought I would! I also really liked the Midwich Cuckoos! I also might have been the only one to like Persuasion :)

message 7: by Pam (new)

Pam Hard for me to choose between AGE OF INNOCENCE, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and MIDWICH CUCKOOS.

message 8: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Martin wrote: "We sure do have a liking for those dystopian novels, don't we? ;-)"

There seemed to be quite a few this year, that's for sure!

message 9: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) I forgot about phantom of the opera that would get my vote

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth (k9odyssey) On pure enjoyment, Phantom of the Opera. On literary excellence, Age if Innocence. Worst for me was Handmaids Tale but then I am one who really doesn't care for dystopian novels.

message 11: by Martin (new)

Martin Waterhouse Age of Innocence has really stuck with me too; it was probably the most literary book we read. And I missed Phantom of the Opera, so will have to go back and catch up.

message 12: by Shelia (new)

Shelia Age of Innocence was my favorite. I'm not really a fan of the dystopian genre. Didn't realize so many were considered classics. I appreciate this group for exposing me to things I would have never read otherwise. Looking forward to more good reads next year.

message 13: by Reija (last edited Dec 21, 2013 02:19AM) (new)

Reija I think maybe Age of Innocence, it was kind of haunting, it still linger in my mind. I gave better stars Anna Karenina but I guess it was more because of I finally finished it. I haven't finished Persuation and Bell jar yet and I really liked Sherlock too, I have been reading all those Sherlock stories whole year, and hoping to finish it soon. So many classics were really not my style this year, hopefully next year is better.

message 14: by Gary (new)

Gary I've read many classics over a long reading career, and this year I've finished five; Light in August, Native Son, The Sound and the Fury, Oliver Twist, and Great Expectations. None of these are my favorite though. If a person asked me which one over all should he read I'd say Native Son. With a wealth of information on the internet available looking up different titles is really easy. I've also, learned that every classic is in a class all by itself. The more I read, the broader my knowledge base gets. Reading is a passion that has to be satisfied in a life time.