Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Crystal Heart: Beginnings
This topic is about The Crystal Heart
Book Issues > Name change please

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anthony Swinsinski | 1 comments This book is mine, however I'm unable to edit information on it such as adding a cover, because my initial is listed, could you please change the name to match mine, essentially removing the initial.

Thank you

Nucking Futs the Fire Fairy Book-a-holic (firefairyholic) | 348 comments Middle initial removed. But you still won't be able to add a cover because only librarians can edit such details. If you can give the link to your cover we would be happy to add it for you.

message 3: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (last edited Nov 27, 2013 02:36AM) (new)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (karma_bites) | 947 comments Anthony wrote: "This book is mine, however I'm unable to edit information on it such as adding a cover, because my initial is listed, could you please change the name to match mine, essentially removing the initial. ..."

Anthony, you may want to check w/ the appropriate GR staff on this matter. Current policy is that book records reflect the author name as used for publication—meaning, as it appears on the book covers. You include your MI on your covers, which means that GR records will include it. To do otherwise (or inconsistently) will, I imagine, create repeated confusion and work in future.

etc: HTML coding for link

Nucking Futs the Fire Fairy Book-a-holic (firefairyholic) | 348 comments Hmm... I know another author who uses a different name in goodreads and amazon from his books. Maybe he should also be informed of the policy.

message 5: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (last edited Nov 27, 2013 02:48AM) (new)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (karma_bites) | 947 comments Chelssie's~midnight~parade~of~a~hundred~demons wrote: "Hmm... I know another author who uses a different name in goodreads and amazon from his books. Maybe he should also be informed of the policy."

Hi, Chelssie. Use of a different name (e.g., pen name) is a slightly different matter. But there are established guidelines in place for that as well. Pls see hyperlinked 'current policy'.

ETA: Of course, I'm assuming that you mean that the person has two different *author* profiles, as opposed to an author profile for pen name and a different username for a regular account. Also, not sure what you mean about different names for GR vs. Amazon in the context of a person's published works.

message 6: by Nucking Futs the Fire Fairy (last edited Nov 27, 2013 03:08AM) (new)

Nucking Futs the Fire Fairy Book-a-holic (firefairyholic) | 348 comments What i mean is he uses his full name on GR and Amazon but used his initials on his book.

update: nvm. Apparently he only used his initials (as an author) in his earlier works. He now uses his full name on his books.

message 7: by Banjomike (last edited Nov 27, 2013 07:08AM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Chelssie's~midnight~parade~of~a~hundred~demons wrote: "What i mean is he uses his full name on GR and Amazon but used his initials on his book.

update: nvm. Apparently he only used his initials (as an author) in his earlier works. He now uses his full name on his books. "

That means that every edition of those early works (including future editions) will always use the name-with-initial as the primary author and his new no-initial name as secondary author. That is so that all the editions can be combined under the original name. Books that are only ever published under his new name would not use the old name at all.

message 8: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Chelssie's~midnight~parade~of~a~hundred~demons wrote: "But you still won't be able to add a cover because only librarians can edit such details."

Actually, authors can upload covers for records which currently have no cover. What authors can't do is remove a cover image already there and replace it with a new one.