What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > childrens/YA fantasy book possibly involving shapeshifting?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Joy | 5 comments I’m trying to find a book.

I started to read it back in either 6th or 7th grade and found it in the school library so I’d assume it was either a children’s or YA novel, but mostly likely YA.

My memories of it are pretty weird and I really want to know what was up with it but I don’t remember enough to help me find it with an internet search.

Anyway, here’s what I remember:

1. I think it was a fantasy novel. Possibly science fiction or horror.

2. The main protagonist was a girl. I think she was on the cover, looking frightened with another girl (or boy?). She lives with her grandmother or maybe her mom was just older…?

3. The society they lived in was very strict for some reason. Their way of living was simple and the setting wasn’t in modern times, though I’m not sure if it was supposed to resemble a time in the past or not. They seemed to be afraid of something and I think that was the reason for all the rules.

4. I remember that at one point the girl was admiring her mom/grandma’s hair, I think because it was long and streaked with grey/silver but she didn’t say anything because she knew her m/g would not acknowledge that she was beautiful. I don’t know if it was because of the rules or not.

5. The girl had a place she would go. Like a hole or a cave or something? She had some kind of instrument there, pretty sure it was against the rules. I think it may have been a violin.

6. At some point—and this is where it gets confusing— there’s some kind of weird transformation that starts happening?? Like, I can’t remember if it was physical but I think it was a result of breaking the rules. And there was this other girl (or maybe it was a boy??) who told the girl that if she feels it happening again to let her/him know and well…that’s when I stopped reading.

The transformation was maybe happening to the children and maybe some children were missing...I'm not really sure.

Any suggestions are appreciated, I don't know how accurate any of this is.

message 2: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2112 comments What year was that?

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Joy | 5 comments Oh, sorry, I thought I included that.

I'm not sure, but I read it about ten years ago. I think it was an older book though. Possibly somewhere between the 70s and 90s. I know that is a wide range.

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Joy | 5 comments Additional information: I think I remember the mountains having some sort of significance.

message 5: by Kris (last edited Nov 30, 2013 04:49AM) (new)

Kris | 33505 comments Mod
A guess - The Maestro by Judd Palmer? The Maestro (Preposterous Fables for Unusual Children #2) by Judd Palmer

Here's one reviewer's description on Amazon:
"A little girl moves to a town where music is banned because of a maestro who stole all the
children. She is caught singing and told she has to leave. She goes to a mountain cave where
the maestro and his orchestra are. She wants to join the orchestra and sing but the maestro says
singing is not required. The rats the Maestro killed and the townspeople come to kill the
Maestro but Hannah sings to stop them and tells to take home their children. She asks the
Maestro if she can stay and be a student and he says yes and then they live happily ever after."

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Joy | 5 comments You know what... that is very different than what I remember, but that does actually sound really familiar. I think I may be mixing memories from two books.

But I really think that's correct! I remember now that it did have something to do with a pied piper type character.

I'm going to call this solved. Thank you so much! I've been looking for this for years.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Great, glad we could help! So pleased you found your "friend" after many years. :)

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37834 comments Mod
Hannah discovered that wasn't her book after all.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 9: by Kris (new)

Moved this thread to the "Unsolved" folder, and removed the shelved book from post #5.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Hannah, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Hannah, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Maestro (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Judd Palmer (other topics)