Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Waking Up Dead (Callie Taylor, #1)
This topic is about Waking Up Dead
Dec 2013: Guilty Pleasures > Official Discussion Thread for Waking up Dead *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
This is our ALT pick for December! DISCUSS IT ALL!

message 2: by Michele (new) - added it

Michele | 128 comments Hmm Amazon has 6 books with that title. The android app for Goodreads doesn't have a link so who's the author please?

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
Michele wrote: "Hmm Amazon has 6 books with that title. The android app for Goodreads doesn't have a link so who's the author please?"

I saw that too. Waking Up Dead (Callie Taylor, #1) by Margo Bond Collins is the right one.

message 4: by Tegan (new)

Tegan (joggiwagga) | 276 comments I can't find a copy of this in any of my consortium's libraries OR in any of the library ebook collections I have access to. :(

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
Tegan wrote: "I can't find a copy of this in any of my consortium's libraries OR in any of the library ebook collections I have access to. :("

It was only published in October of 2013, so libraries may not have it yet. Mine doesn't either. That's the problem with doing a recent book as a pick; it's not always going to be available to those who rely low-cost alternatives. Fortunately the main pick, Guilty Pleasures, is ten years old and should be widely available. The Sword & Laser is having similar problems for next month. Their pick won't be released until February 2014 in the UK & Australia.

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Whaley (beckers77) | 80 comments This book is only $2.99 right now on the Kindle of you have one. Just fyi.

Julia (ollie03) if you have amazon prime you can borrow it for free for your kindle

Caitlin It's funny - I'm in Canada and I couldn't buy the Kindle version from the website, but when I put the Kindle app on my phone, it let me. I didn't even try to trick it into thinking I was American. I'm going to try and read this pick quickly, in case they pull a Big Brother and take it back.

message 9: by Tegan (new)

Tegan (joggiwagga) | 276 comments I've secured a copy thanks to the absolutely amazing author, and my library should have a copy soon (so it will be in the C/W MARS system if you're from Western MA)

Kellios I was not impressed with it. I picked it up for my kindle, and it was a very easy read. I just felt it was lacking. Am I the only one?

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris (ckorhon) | 5 comments I've been wanting to read a book where the protagonist is a ghost for awhile, so I liked that part a lot. I liked how she spent her time hanging out with her pretend friends. But I agree with Melissa. It's a very simplistic book. The characters are there for plot purposes only. I especially felt bad for Maw Maw home by herself all day watching tv. At a minimum she should have made everyone go to church.

message 12: by Toni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Toni White (dejaentendu) I read this in one shot last night and really enjoyed it as a light, throwaway read. Though it is not something that I would necessarily want to read further, if it was something that became a series.

Kellios The whole thing felt kinda forced to me. The whole fun of reading a romance, at least for me, is the developing of the romance. In this book, it was a side issue at best. It felt like an afterthought, and thrown in because that's what the book was classified as.

As for the paranormal aspect (being ghostly) it was interesting, but if you're going to limit your main character in such a way, you really need to make the secondary characters pop. I felt that they were essentially cardboard cutouts. They were very flat and didn't really interest me at all. As Chris said above, Maw Maw sat home watching tv all day. Seriously? That was the best you could do with that character?

I just wasn't impressed. I feel that the potential for a great story was there, but the execution was lacking.

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) | 31 comments I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. Though, I really felt as if it were more of a mystery than either a paranormal or a romance. It will certainly never win any literary awards, but is that really necessary to the enjoyment of it? I enjoyed it for what it was. A lighthearted, easy read with a dash of paranormal and romance.

Though, the thought of Maw Maw making everyone go to church certainly made me grin. Still can't find that darn 'like' button.

Caitlin I definitely enjoyed the story, but I felt like the characters were basically tropes with absolutely no character development at all. It's too bad since it was a very short book and it wouldn't have been too long with the extra work on the characters.

message 16: by Anna (new) - rated it 1 star

Anna | 135 comments I lemed it...

Kimberly (mskimandtwins) | 36 comments I liked the premise, and the first few chapters caught my interest, but I didn't connect with any of the characters...they seemed like stereotypes, and were pretty flat (as others have mentioned). I wonder what the book would have been like if MawMaw had been the one telling the story.

JackieR (readthat) | 16 comments Started off interesting. I like the idea of a main character hanging around as a ghost. It didn't develop the characters enough and I grew bored after awhile. Could have done much more with the idea.

Adelaide Blair I disliked the main pick enough to stop reading about 1/4 in, so I wasn't sure how this was going to go. Happily, it was a quick, fun read. Nothing too deep, but a nice way to spend some time.

TRIGGER WARNING: There is a pretty unpleasant attempted rape towards the end of the book. Just a word of warning to those who are sensitive to that sort of thing.

Richard Roe Overall, I liked the book. I liked the criminal plot best but also enjoyed the easy and harmless humor. Most of the time. The novel has a weak beginning and a weak ending. The first is pretty loveless, scribbled and latter is pretty artificial. This novel is primary a crime novel. As for mystery, the main character is a ghost. As for romance, there an old "love story" and a current one. Neither of both play any substantial role. Are just there for decoration purposes.

The whole story was pretty stereotyped with little to no new or own ideas. It felt like a day-dream where things just happen when they are needed. That's what I enjoyed.

REPETITIONS.
I could hardly stand the repetitions that Callie was a ghost and that as ghost you do "ghost business". It was pretty unpleasant in the beginning but became more bearable later. ("Brrr".) Actually, I was temped to stop reading the book after the first pages due to this issue. Later, Ashara sometimes has to stress out that she is not interested in chasing the murderer but then gives in without a noteworthy resistance. Quote: "So is my job. So is my life..." - Yes heard this already.

CHARACTERS.
Very flat. Stereotyped. There is barely any information about them. Callie was killed. Point. Maw-Maw loves watching TV. Point. Stephen reads classic books. Point. Howard is a racist. Point. Jeffrey is a racist. Point. Actually, Ashara is the only character with a personal background. She is working in a bank, way below her best. Could do a much better job but doesn't want to leave Maw-Maw. Nice. Of course, she is also a hard-working person and never ill and beautiful and no boyfriend. Enough.

EMOTIONS/MOTIVATION.
That is my main point of criticism. Things happen in the book and you don't really know why. Missing personal motivation. Characters don't SHOW any emotions. In detail...

Callie wakes up and is dead, a ghost. Is she sad? Frantic? Does she show any emotions at all? No, instead she does her small jokes about it. Oh yeah, by the way, she was murdered. But that happens. What the hell ...? Later, we hear that she was raped and that she was tortured several days ("had me tied up in his basement, playing with me for day after day after day"). All this presented as facts, without any emotion. How did that happen? Or what did she do before? What kind of person was she before?

Maybe I didn't understand it correctly but after the reading the passage with the horrible murder, I thought this guy must be some psychopath.(Callie: "What he did to her body was horrible.") And maybe he is. All we get to know is that he is racist. But that is not enough for me. I would to know more about this man. Something like he was torturing animals etc... There is something missing here. Btw, in this same section Callie makes a joke "I was glad she didn't show up next to me as a full-blown ghost."

Ashara is being almost raped and Maw-Maw has to watch. Yet, both refuse psychological help like nothing happened (Maw-Maw: "...that’s just what happens when bad times come around... and Ashara "No way, I ain’t crazy.”) What is this good for? Is this the way "strong women" have to be? They are as detached from all of this as Callie is from her own death. Callie actually does one of her jokes ("It was kind of cool.") after the attempted rape. Creepy.

THE END.
ANGER as a way to stop the killer? As a way to be STRONG? Phew! All the time before she must concentrate, must calm down, in order to interact with things in the real world. And now she must be angry? A dubious statement. Especially, when you consider why Howard is doing all this. Hate anger. Action reactio. An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth "moral"?

message 21: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (vegansonfire) I absolutely LOVED this novel!

First and foremost, I'll say that this wasn't as romance-y as I thought it would be, but I still enjoyed the small bit that was present.

It took me a chapter or two to actually get into the book, but after that I couldn't put it down and read it in just a few hours. I loved all of the characters, though they could have had a bit more...substance, backstory...something. What kept me riveted was the storyline! It was a great detective/crime story. Very believable (yes, even the ghost part - at least for me). It was fun to try to figure things out along with the characters, and I felt myself becoming just as anxious when they found themselves in dangerous situations.

While parts of the storyline was predictable, it did not take away from my overall interest in the book. The book is well written, though I did find a few mistakes (typos) in the ebook edition I read.

I will definitely read any follow up books in the series!

Gunnhildur Rúnarsdóttir (grafarholt) | 173 comments This was a very fast read for me.

Enjoyed it for what it was. The murder mystery was interesting and even kept me guessing a bit.

The characters were typical and served their purpose. I wish they had been fleshed out a bit more and I actually really wanted to know what happened to Callie. I imagine that is being saved for later.

Frakki Karu | 509 comments Loved it!

It was funny, creative, suspenseful. I loved the relationship between Maw-Maw and Ashara. Then, the romance with Ashara and her white boy. It was so sweet.

The only thing I didn't like was that god awful cover art. This story deserved so much better. I think we should start a fund drive to buy a better one.

Deborah Cornette | 18 comments This was a fast read for me. Excellent murder mystery.
My main problem with the story was with Callie, how she died and ended up in a place she has never been kinda kicked me out of the story a bit. Checking the author's profile I saw she is not planning to write a sequel to this book so the question if why will never be answered I guess.
The hand wave of the end rape scene and the suggested counseling really bothered me as well.

taranova | 25 comments Quick,easy read. Simple, but entertaining enough. I liked it.

Laura (theloudlady) | 180 comments This was a quick read & I did feel like it was a bit incomplete & left me with a lot of questions.

I enjoyed that it was a mystery where you knew the killer but did not know the motive.

I think the element of race was the most interesting part. The characters were a bit static & the world building was a bit flat but that is pretty common place for a mystery.

message 27: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat | 27 comments Over all, I thought it was a decent quick read.

One thing that bothered me: Why didn't Ashara or Stephen think to just hold their cell phone up to their face when talking to Callie in public?

Jonathan (calijonathan) I really liked it. Callie's sassy, sarcastic attitude made for some funny lines, especially with Maw-Maw. It reminded me of the movie Ghost, although there were some clever twists on being a ghost that I liked.

Nicole (lunakaos) | 165 comments I really really liked this book.
A good quick read that was pretty entertaining. Some great twists and I was vested in the mystery.
The snippets of what happened to Callie before she died was heartbreaking and made me felt that there would be more books.
The only romance in the book is very understated, so didn't really feel like a vf pick but still very enjoyable