Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry discussion

Ground Floor > Staff Room

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§», Headmaster (last edited Dec 03, 2013 02:35PM) (new)

s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§» | 1149 comments The Staff Room. For professors and other school staff.

A comfortable room with a large fireplace and plenty of high-backed, beautifully upholstered armchairs. A magical urn in one corner pours out tea, coffee, or even the fruit juice of your choice, when you turn the tap and call out the name of your chosen beverage.

The Staffroom is located on the ground floor of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and is a long, panelled room with mismatched, dark wooden chairs. There is a wardrobe inside it which was once home to a Boggart before the 1993 Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Remus Lupin, taught his third year class how to vanquish it.

The entrance to this room is guarded by two stone Gargoyles that can talk. These gargoyles were partially destroyed during the Battle of Hogwarts on 2 May, 1998.

At some point, Professor Cuthbert Binns sat in front of the staffroom fire and fell asleep. He died during his sleep and rose as a ghost, leaving his body behind but continuing with his History of Magic classes as usual.

The staff room is located off the Entrance Hall. The doorway is flanked by two stone gargoyles. It is a long panelled room with mismatched, dark wooden chairs and a large wardrobe, sometimes inhabited by a boggart.

s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§» | 1149 comments Our Description

—currently N/A—

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) [Enter David Parnell.]

David had just arrived at Hogwarts the night before--spending most of his summer at home with his aging parents and then a month of it traveling Europe--and after a good night's sleep (he still hadn't unpacked, but he'd get it) he decided to see if anyone was already milling about. Seeing the gargoyles, he nodded to them as he always did and then strolled inside.

Whistling a soft tune to himself, David ran a ran through his messy dark blond hair and walked over to the magical urn to have a cup of... "Coffee," he said as he turned the handle.

message 4: by Ross (last edited Dec 03, 2013 05:42PM) (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) [Enter Rick Stanton-Hayes]

Hugging himself with adolescent glee, Rick watched invisible as the Ancient Runes professor approached he decanter with his wands, expecting coffee, getting coffee, but tasting..."That's right Dave, Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Undetectable Drink Flavourings, in this case, mud, good isn't it?" Still in the loom of his teenage notoriety, Rick felt it was his duty, among other things, to remind the academic staff of what they once were; "laughter keeps the heart young after all." as he was oft heard to quip. Slapping his colleague and friend on the back, he withdrew his wand and tapped the mug. "Amando!" he said calmly, his smile infecting his face with light, as the coffee as magically cleansed of its silty texture. "Be interesting to see how old stick-in-the-mud takes to it eh?"

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) "Jesus--bloody-Christ--Joseph and Mary!" David cursed as he sputtered on the god-awful concoction in his mouth, barely making it to the sink to spit out the nastiness before turning to scowl at his coworker. Unable to contain his mirth though, his countenance soon changed into a grin as he shook his head ruefully. "Ya got me there, laddie," he chuckled as he poured himself some tap water and rinsed his mouth. Glancing down, David noticed that he had some of the mud on his new dress shirt and he groaned. He would need to remember to clean it off before he wore it again for class. "You're lucky it was me and not... Professor Vitale who came in here," he told Rick as he walked over then to shake the man's hand. "How've you been? How was your summer?" he asked good naturedly.

message 6: by Ross (last edited Dec 03, 2013 06:10PM) (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) "Oh what's he going to do, use an unforgivable curse on me because I made old snake-in-the-mud swallow some?" Rick grinned clasping the other man's hand and shaking it with his trademark vigour. "Wonderful summer as it so happens, followed the lads on a tour of Siberia, bludgeringly cold, but the flying, incredible, have you ever played Quidditch by the illumination of the Northern Lights? Absolutely magical!" His jubilation fell slightly as his eyes snared onto the splotches of mud on his friend's robes. "Here, let me get that." he flicked his wand, making the brown stains vanish in a puff of what smelled like fresh peppermint. "There, no harm done eh, oh, and how was yours, summer I mean?"

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) "Ah, thank you," David said, seeing his stains disappear. "I never think to do that..." he admitted. "Must be the old muggle ways, still stuck in my head," he added cheerfully. At the mention of Quidditch, David's eyes lit up although there was--as there always was--a hint of sadness in the back that he hadn't played professionally. "No, never, sounds absolutely grand," he admitted. "We must have a go at it some time this year." David was always looking for opportunities to play a little Quidditch and who better with than the referee of Hogwarts? "Summer was grand," he continued. "Spent most of it in Dublin with the folks," he told Rick as he walked over to the magical urn again for some real coffee this time.

message 8: by Ross (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) "And how are they?" there it was again, that barely restrained note of curiosity when it came to his friends parents. "Muggle-lover" ha always been something of a badge of pride to him instead of the stain of dishonour some other more backward thinking wizarding families perceived it to be. It was rather ironic how their fascinations seem to head in opposite directions, his in the direction of David's Muggle upbringing, and David's aspirations to the Quidditch ovals of Rick's youth. The smile was never far from his lips as he listened with rapt enthusiasm as his friend outlined his summer spent in his native Eire. "Ahh Ireland, best country in the world if you ask me." he reflected, his eyes momentarily glazing over, "Ah the green, it's like nothing else in the world, and the Quidditch! Home of the only team to win the World Cup three times in a row!" Reaching into an inside pocket he withdrew a shiny sack and offered it to the Runes master. "Butterbob? What? Not everything to do ith me is a trick you know." Chuckling softly as his David suspiciously removed a butterbeer flavoured candy from among its fellows. "As for getting you to register some "airtime" you kno I'm always up for it."

message 9: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (last edited Dec 03, 2013 07:17PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) Chewing thoughtfully and appreciatively on the candy that he had accepted from his coworker, David nodded as Rick spoke and when he agreed to take to the air with him, the Ancient Runes professor's face broke out into a huge grin. "And you're absolutely right about Ireland. It's about time you English blokes finally took notice of the grandness that is the 'land of saints and scholars,'" he added with a chuckle as he slapped Rick's bicep good naturedly. "And of course we kill at Quidditch--we kill at everything!"

Stepping away from the urn then, David took a seat on one of the mismatched chairs, expecting Rick to follow. "You planning on pranking any other professors today?" he asked with an arched brow.

message 10: by Ross (last edited Dec 03, 2013 07:41PM) (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) Rick smirked. "Well they're good to be sure, but not that good!" Typical Irish pride, he thought amused at his friend's patriotic exuberance. "Good thing you're a scholar eh, cos you sure aren't a saint, if my memory of a certain befuddled evening at The Three Broomstick's is any way accurate!" Not being a lightweight, Rick had found it hilarious to observe the effects of several flagons of firewhiskey had on the usually steady Runes master. Naturally he meant the recollection in jest, for nothing untoward had occurred, that is apart from several stray kisses dispensed liberally to a bunch of buxom witches visiting from Sweden. Settling down nest to David in one of the squashy armchairs, he raised a golden brow at his counterpart's wry observation. "And spoil their first day back? How could you suggest such a thing!" Propping his booted feet up upon the coffee table, Rick glanced expectantly at the door. "Well, perhaps not some of our more discerning ladies, wouldn't do to have them sullying their mouths with sludge now would it."

message 11: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) "How very sexist of you," David joked as he crossed one foot over his ankle and leaned back in his seat, sipping his coffee. "And as for that night in Hogsmeade," he began, "I do believe I was still the one to carry you out of there so look who's talking," he laughed. David also couldn't help it if he was popular with the ladies. It was that Irish charm of his--worked every time. "Speaking of women, how's the missus?" he asked, remembering to inquire about Rick's wife.

message 12: by Ross (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) "I always did say being dropped on the head impaired your memory mate." Rick joked good naturedly, as he uncorked his private hip flask and took a short, swift swig of its contents. Something of a connoisseur of the vintage beverages, he had recently developed a keen interest in the distilling of his very own home made pear whiskey which he called "piskey". "Well you kno me, it's off limits when it comes to the ladies, wouldn't want them to get the ludicrous notion that I'm immature eh?" On the subject of Matha, a softness fell upon his features like a dream; his first year in his new position had been one of the most trying of his lie thus far, the announcement of her pregnancy just after he had accepted Professor Zosimos' invitation had seen him caught between two places. "Martha's fine, she's just got back into the swing of things, she's been amazing, taking care of the trips has it's rewarding moments of course, but it's been tough for her, but she's been a real trouper."

message 13: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) "Oh, that's grand," David replied, taking a sip of his coffee. "And how are the kiddos?" he inquired, enjoying the way his friend's face lit up with joy every time he spoke about his family.

message 14: by Ross (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) "Well the trips are three now," Rick basked in the golden light of recollection as he revisited the dates March 17th and 18th earlier that year. Looking back now he saw himself furtively hoping for the school term to end, so that he could disapparate off back home to tend to his heavily pregnant wife as her due date approached. He had managed to gain special dispensation from Professor Zosimos, and left a month before the end of the Summer term. 'I think Anna takes after me, her favourite word is "Fly", I finally managed to convince Martha it was safe to take them up on the old firebolt one at a time. Mana was less pleased, and Dora, bless her, fell asleep, I mean how does one fall asleep while flying?"

message 15: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) David laughed appreciatively at Rick's story, thinking that it must be wondering growing up in a wizard family--you got to experience all of magic's wonders right from the get go. Then again, he wouldn't trade his own family for anything in the world, saying a silent prayer then for his father and for God to keep him in good health. "Your wife has more patience than anyone I've ever met," he complimented kindly as he took another sip of his coffee. "I'm not sure I'd allow my children to be up in the air at such a young age--they have flying laws for a reason, y'know," he added with a roguish wink. "Although, methinks if your babe fell asleep, you must've been flying at a turtle's pace," David chuckled.

message 16: by C, Head of Gryffindor (new)

C (beyondtheveil) | 354 comments [Enter Katya Ivanova]

Warily striding into the room, Katya twisted her bony hands as she walked. She knew that she looked a mess. Her hair had come out of its bun and she sported burns and flobberworm slime all over her robes and face. She had been working on an antidote for the Draught of Living Death in her dungeon classroom and had only come up for a drink of tea to refresh her mind. Click-clacking over to the urn in the corner, she extracted a mug from her robes. Upon finishing her task, she walked stiffly to a chair near where Professor Parnell and Quidditch Instructor Stanton-Hayes were milling about. Collapsing into an armchair, she took a few deep sips of the invigorating liquid, sighing in appreciation as she drank.

message 17: by Ross (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) Rick exploded with a rich pudding of laughter, something he was also known for in addition to his uninhibited enthusiasm for flight. "Patience personified indeed, must be why she chose to marry a man-child like me then, maybe she wanted kids and decided to have me as a sort of guinea pig!" Rolling his eyes to express his disdain for such petty impediments that assumed a lack of common sense, he jerked his head back sharply to remove a long blonde curl from where it had settled over his right baby blue eye. "Pshaw, rules! It wasn't as though I did the 180 on them, no, just a nice skim over the lawn, and what is more," Rick straightened up with a mock serious grimace, "I am as you know, a professional," he preened putting on the most ridiculous posh accent David had ever heard. "In any case all my girls are as comfortable on a broom as anything else, Anna especially, bought her her first Skimsweep the other day, and she's bonkers over it, I think kids like her were the reason the summoning charm were invented, hyperactive kids that parents just couldn't keep up with."
The soft swish of the door made them both look up, and Rick's expression flicked from amusement to disguised alarm as the allegedly forbidding head of Gryffindor clacked her way over towards the urn. Whipping out his wand, he quickly whispered the counterspell which returned the coffee to its acceptable taste and consistency. "You look like you've had...fun?" he raised a golden eyebrow as she collapsed into one of the various lush armchairs.

message 18: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (last edited Dec 09, 2013 07:16PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) When the Gryffindor Head of House walked in, David subconsciously straightened himself in his seat, not wanting to appear a slob, and certainly not entirely noticing Katya's on disheveled appearance. When she made her way to the urn, David's eyes widened slightly and he opened his mouth to say something when he noticed Rick's counter spell and breathed a sigh of inward relief. He waited for the woman to sit down and then greeted her in turn as well. "Hello, Katya," he said warmly with a friendly smile. "And what have you been up to?"

message 19: by Emma, Head of Ravenclaw (new)

Emma | 256 comments [Enter Calla Brunelli]
Calla entered the staff room, mildly surprised by how few people were there. She looked around at the others, grateful that her slightly dishevelled appearance didn't look too out of place. Her hair was falling out of a loose bun and she hadn't put on any makeup. She felt slightly out of place, being one of the few older professors, but greeted everyone anyways. "Hello Katya, David, Rick." She said softly, "I trust you're all doing well?" She walked across the room to pour herself a coffee from the urn in the corner.

message 20: by C, Head of Gryffindor (last edited Dec 08, 2013 07:13PM) (new)

C (beyondtheveil) | 354 comments Katya sighed in exasperation. It had been folly to come here in this condition. It was unseemly to be seen in such an undignified state. Putting her cup down, she stood up, stiletto boots raising her already-formidable height even more, so that she towered over the others. Wrapping her plain black shawl about her thin body, she slipped the mug back into her Undetectable Extension Charm-enlarged pocket and began to pace the room, black silk skirts swirling about her slim figure as she walked. Finally stopping, she lowered herself into another chair. "I've been working overtime, and I think it's having quite the effect on me," she said to the room at large, "I've been trying to get some extra work in before the pupils arrive, and I believe I've almost got it."

message 21: by Ross (last edited Dec 08, 2013 08:03PM) (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) Unlike David, Rick did not bother to realign his casual posture, merely looking up as the Potions mistress made her distinctive entrance, "I'll say you have Kitty," he said smirking at her reaction to the nickname he had given her the previous year. "Tergeo!" The flick of his wand produced a snapping sound and a puff of steam, as the flobberworm goop disappeared. "There, all prim and proper again." His attention as diverted by the arrival of the second head of house, this time the pleasantly amiable Ravenclaw housemistress, leaving Slytherin and Hufflepuff to make their appearances; he rather fancied Scott was being detained by the inclement weather he had read about in Lavinia Watchman's Weather Witch Watch segment in that day's Daily Prophet. "Good morning Calla, yes spiffing in fact, and yourself?"

message 22: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (last edited Dec 09, 2013 08:02AM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) "Oh, hello, Calla," David greeted politely and cheerfully as the woman joined them. "Good to see you, hope you've had a good summer?"

Turning to Rick then, he said, "With all the cleaning up of people's appearances, Rick, I'd say you missed your calling in life. Anyone would be lucky to hire you as their maid," he joked.

"And what sort of work have you been up to, Katya? What project, that is?" he inquired inquisitively.

message 23: by Emma, Head of Ravenclaw (new)

Emma | 256 comments "Yes, summer was good. Today, not so much. I was trying to organize the divination classroom and managed to knock over 30 teacups. I put them all back together, naturally, but it was a pain nonetheless." She sighed and took a seat, planning to simply listen to the conversation from the on out.

message 24: by C, Head of Gryffindor (last edited Dec 09, 2013 06:31PM) (new)

C (beyondtheveil) | 354 comments Katya shot Rick a withering look, and intoned ominously, "Thank you, Rick. I am perfectly capable of cleaning my own robes. Also, I would prefer it if you refrained from calling me Kitty." And she sniffed disdainfully. Turning to David, she answered his question. "I have been attempting to concoct an antidote to the Draught of Living Death. A very complex potion, you see. By Golpalott's Third Law, I have been dissecting the potion and trying to figure out its components. I daresay I've nearly found the cure. And, eyeing Rick again, suspiciously, she said, "I thought I saw you point your wand towards that urn in the niche over there, when Calla came in. What exactly were you doing, may I ask?"

message 25: by Ross (last edited Dec 30, 2013 05:16PM) (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) It was uncanny how Katya always managed to make him feel as though he was once more standing before the Headmistress, trying his very best to look contrite. Professor McGonagall had always managed to make the golden haired mischief maker feel like a 5 year old caught with his hands in the cookie jar. Shivering involuntarily, the smile from David's observation fluttered upon his lips. "Uhm, yeah sure, of course you are," he mumbled, "just thought I'd help is all, and, well I thought the coffee might be getting a little tepid, and I know how much Calla likes hers hot, so," he shrugged, what was it with potions professors and social awkwardness? His pet theory was that it had something to do with dingy dungeons and the negative impact of the blatant lack of fresh air caressing one's face.

message 26: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (last edited Dec 10, 2013 03:30PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) "Oh, good, good," David replied to Calla's review of her day, chuckling when she admitted to her clumsiness. "Well, I'm afraid I'm no better in that department. For some reason, no matter how hard I try to keep myself from making a mess..." he sighed then with a helpless shrug of his well-built shoulders. When Rick lied about what he had done to the urn, David's face would have made a poker player proud, his expression giving nothing away to the contrary.

Turning to the Gryffindor Head of House then, he raised his eyebrows in admiration and nodded along as she spoke. "Boy, if only more of us had half your wit, Katya," he intoned with awe. "When do you think you'll have it figured out?" he inquired inquisitively.

message 27: by Katrina (new)

Katrina [Enter Linda Violette]

Upon arriving in the already fairly busy staff room, Linda uttered a sigh of contentment, excited for another year of school with all the lovely, bright-eyed students. The familiar atmosphere was exciting, but she desperately wanted the students to arrive quickly so they might continue with the feast. Long journeys always worked up ones appetite. She immediately strode to the urn for a cup of tea. "Hello," she greeted to no one in particular as she passed by the gathering professors.

message 28: by Emma, Head of Ravenclaw (new)

Emma | 256 comments Calla sipped her coffee, it was just the way she liked it, with way too much sugar. "Hello, Linda." She greeted the new arrival, and then turned silent to let the others continue their conversation.

message 29: by C, Head of Gryffindor (new)

C (beyondtheveil) | 354 comments Katya flared her thin nostrils at David's quip, which she had taken to be slightly sarcastic. "Well, it's not easy, certainly," she said sharply, "but I feel that I have at least managed to reverse the 'Sleeping Beauty' effect, if you will." Eyeing Rick again querulously, she turned to Linda. "Hello, Linda, I see you've joined us. What have you been up to, incidentally?" She knew that her fastidious manner towards Rick was considered by many to be uncalled-for and rather bellicose in her own way, but he had a certain aura about him that reminded Katya of a mischievous troublemaker, a merry little rascal. Being an overly stern rule-enforcer herself, she disliked these people, and try as she might, could not keep herself from seeming quarrelsome when around them.

message 30: by Ross (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) Personally Rick had never had, and likely never would have anything against the broomstick for a spine head of Gryffindor, but nonetheless he ardently wished that she would cease glowering at him as though he was the homunculus of Peeves, the prank-happy poltergeist had indeed had something of a fruitful partnership with the golden haired Hufflepuf during his student years, and even now, Rick could say with some degree of pride, that he was probably the only one among Hogwarts' many denizens to have actually held a sustained conversation with the waggish mischief maker. Epositioning his booted feet upon the edge of the table, he turned to greet the newly arrival, but noticed the whimsical silence of the divination professor. Thinking that Katya had sufficient attention, he smiled at Calla, rising to his feet and going over to where she was , on the pretext of looking out the window. "When the sky clears a bit, d'you want to maybe take a flight outside, I mean it must be a little close up in your secluded classroom, students'll be here soon, so how about a last taste of freedom before they arrive?"

message 31: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (last edited Jan 01, 2014 12:22PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) ((So posting order will be Sarah, Katrina, Emma, Bellatrix, Woolfie. I'm next and will delete this comment after everyone reads it.))

message 32: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) Not noticing Katya's disapproving tone for he had no malic in his own heart, simply smiled at the Head of Gryffindor and nodded, "Sounds marvelous. I have no doubt that you'll complete it much sooner than even you expect," he told her with a charming, half-absentminded smile. He, too, glanced up when another professor walked in and he gave her a grin as he replied back, "Good afternoon, Linda. How goes?"