What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fantasy book with disturbing ending. King, invasion of inhuman creatures.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bunnyman (new)

Bunnyman | 4 comments About ten years ago in Stockholm I was visiting a book shop and became enthralled by a fantasy book whose explicit ending really haunted me for many years. Due to sentimental reasons with the trip to Stockholm it would mean a lot to me of I could get hold if the book.

The fantasy ends with a king suffering an invasion of inhuman creatures, that rape his wife and children, before doing the same to him. I recall the phrases "seed" and "sacks of skin". The king is horrified because the pain is so extreme that his loved ones actually seem to enjoy their own suffering in the end and that breaks him.

As I say an utterly grizzly extreme and depressing end but the raw gall of the ideas really left an impression. I am sure that the scene is so stark that it must be a well known piece of writing.
Thanks in advance for your time!

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Bunnyman, how many years ago did you read this book? Do you remember anything else about the book? The plot, other characters, villains, setting?

message 3: by Bunnyman (last edited Nov 27, 2013 05:36PM) (new)

Bunnyman | 4 comments Hi Tab, thanks for responding, as I wrote- about ten years ago. It was a new book then but it must be at least eight years old now (sorry those few years were rocky! :D). I only browsed through the book alas, but the ending was so intense and disturbing I was sure it would have been a famous book for the genre. The 'invaders' were not really human, that's about as much as I can remember. I know it isn't much to go on. I was hoping that the ending itself might jog some memories.
It was a big book, one of those fantasy yarns!
Thanks

message 4: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Lol, how did I miss where you stated you read it 10 years ago :D It was the first words in your post (this is what I get for replying to posts at 7AM!)

The story sounds very memorable. I'm sure there are some sci-fi/fantasy readers who will recognize it.

Do think it may have been part of a series?

message 5: by Bunnyman (new)

Bunnyman | 4 comments It does seem like it should be, I think it's a genre requirement these days isn't it?! :D

message 6: by Bunnyman (new)

Bunnyman | 4 comments Bump for this, if that's okay. I'm really desperate to find this book!

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 257 comments Bunnyman, are you still looking for this?

message 9: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments bumping - sounds very creepy :(

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1516 comments Still looking for this?