The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

121 views
WINTER CHALLENGE 2013 > 25.3 - Sandy's Task: Settlers of Catan

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 27, 2013 05:33AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17838 comments Mod
25.3 - Sandy's Task: Settlers of Catan

My family loves board games - but our absolute favorite is Settlers of Catan. In that game, the players roll dice to acquire resources, which allow them to build roads, settlements and cities.

For this task, therefore, you will roll 2 dice, Dice Roller, to determine which resources you get, and the books you will read. If you roll doubles, do the same option twice. REQUIRED: Each book must have at least 250 pages.

NOTE: ebooks without print versions cannot be used for tasks requiring a specific number of pages. If you read an ebook or audiobook use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition.

NOTE: No books with the genre "children" may be used for this task, regardless of length.

Option 1. Mud. Mud is represented in the game by a card showing bricks. For this option, read a book the title of which contains a word of at least 4 letters from the lyrics of the song Brick by Ben Folds Five. Brick lyrics. Words must match exactly, no variations. REQUIRED: Indicate the word you are using and the line in which it appears

Option 2. Timber. Timber is a resource needed to construct roads and buildings. For this option, read a book with a road or a building on the cover. The road or building must clearly appear on the cover. REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post.

Option 3. Sheep. Sheep are represented by the astrological sign Aries the Ram. Read a book by an author born under that astrological sign. For purposes of this task, we will use the dates March 21 - April 19 for Aries. REQUIRED: If no birthdate is included in the author's GR profile, link to an external source for the birthdate.

Option 4. Wheat. In 2012, some of the top wheat producing countries in the world were China, India, France, Russia, Australia, Canada, Pakistan, Germany and Turkey. (The U.S. is also in the top 10, but not included for purposes of this task). Read a book set in one of these countries. If the setting is not clear from the Goodreads description, please explain in your post how your book fits the task. The book must be set more than 50% in the target country.

Option 5. Rock. When I hear the word rock, I think of music. Read a nonfiction book about music - that would include a biography, autobiography or memoir of a musician or a book about a specific musical group, as well as a book about music in general or a type of music or the music industry. If music is not listed as a main page genre, please explain how your book is about music.

Option 6. Can't leave out the Settlers! Read a book whose author's initials are adjacent in SETTLERSOFCATAN. Letters must be immediately adjacent reading from left to right, but the letters will wrap, so "NS" works. Middle names or initials should be disregarded - only the initials of the first name and surname count. Examples: Amy Tan, Nevil Shute, Suzette Haden Elgin

Required: State the numbers you rolled when you post


message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Reserved


message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Reserved


message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17838 comments Mod
This help thread is open!


message 5: by Bea (last edited Nov 27, 2013 06:03AM) (new)

Bea | 4078 comments Oh, my goodness! I would roll a 6!

Most of my personal library is packed for a move next year, but I am trying to read the books I have despite that. I thought I was going to have to go to the library for this option, but I found one not yet packed that will work!

Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler


message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "Oh, my goodness! I would roll a 6!

Most of my personal library is packed for a move next year, but I am trying to read the books I have despite that. I thought I was going to have to go to the lib..."


I just recently finally read Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant, and I really liked it.


message 7: by Susan A (last edited Nov 27, 2013 08:09AM) (new)

Susan A Great task! I've never heard of this game. After checking out, I bought it for my 11 yr old son for xmas.


message 8: by Sassafrass (last edited Nov 27, 2013 08:32AM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Great Task, Sandy! Settlers of Catan is my favorite board game. I can't wait until my kids are old enough to play. :)


message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Sassafrass wrote: "Great Task, Sandy! Settlers of Catan is my favorite board game. I can't wait until my kids are old enough to play. :)"

We love it. And the nice thing is that it doesn't stop being fun - my kids are in their 20s and 30s now and it's still our "go to" game. It's the acid test for their new partners, too, LOL - they come to visit and always are invited (forced?) to sit down to a game of Settlers!


message 10: by Bea (last edited Nov 27, 2013 11:53AM) (new)

Bea | 4078 comments Sandy, for option 2, it could be a castle or a house as a building, right? Or a lighthouse?

ETA: A building not necessarily made of wood


message 11: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Sandy I was wanting to use

Starry Night A Christmas Novel by Debbie Macomber for your option 2. I would be listening to the audiobook but there are several different ppb versions listed for it. Some above 250 pages, some below. I don't see where any of them say mass market so I was wondering if you would approve it or not.


message 12: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1744 comments I love the task, Sandy, and I also can't wait to check out the game itself. I hadn't heard of it before. I rolled a 4 and a 6 and I have a question about 4. I have lots of possibilities, but I wondered if Gene Luen Yang's newest historical fiction graphic novel, Boxers, would work for China. It's about the Boxer Rebellion. I saw that no childrens books were allowed and it doesn't have that genre, but I wondered if that meant you were going for regular format as well?


Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (eepa) | 188 comments Those dies hate me. I rolled 2 and 5 and I have no idea at all what I'm going to read for non-fiction music. I don't even read fictional books about musicians, much less non-fiction. This is so not fair! =P


message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Karen GHHS wrote: "I love the task, Sandy, and I also can't wait to check out the game itself. I hadn't heard of it before. I rolled a 4 and a 6 and I have a question about 4. I have lots of possibilities, but I wond..."

graphic novels are not allowed for higher point tasks unless specifically allowed by the task creator - and they're not here. sorry.


message 15: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Sheila wrote: "Sandy I was wanting to use

Starry Night A Christmas Novel by Debbie Macomber for your option 2. I would be listening to the audiobook but there are several different ppb versions listed for i..."


Looks like there's only one outlier under 250 pages, and the top pb and hb copies in the list are both >250 pages, so you're okay. Just remind me when you post.


message 16: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "Sandy, for option 2, it could be a castle or a house as a building, right? Or a lighthouse?

ETA: A building not necessarily made of wood"


yes, any building, not necessarily made of wood, as long as you can see an actual building (i.e., not just a window or a door or some other part). After all, in the game, you need timber and mud (bricks) to build a settlement, and you have to have rock to build a city!


message 17: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Sandy wrote: "Sheila wrote: "Sandy I was wanting to use

Starry Night A Christmas Novel by Debbie Macomber for your option 2. I would be listening to the audiobook but there are several different ppb versio..."


Okay Sandy thanks. I love that game.


message 18: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1744 comments Sandy wrote: "Karen GHHS wrote: "I love the task, Sandy, and I also can't wait to check out the game itself. I hadn't heard of it before. I rolled a 4 and a 6 and I have a question about 4. I have lots of possib..."

Sorry, I totally spaced on the wording of that rule.


message 19: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments I have a question about option 2. Would this book cover meet the requirement?

The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, #14) by Alexander McCall Smith


message 20: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Wanda wrote: "I have a question about option 2. Would this book cover meet the requirement?

The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, #14) by Alexander McCall Smith"


Is that actually a building, or some sort of billboard or sign? The reason I ask is because the window in what looks like a door shows the blue background through it, so it looks as if it's not actually a building.


message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7685 comments Sandy - does the building need to be complete for option 2 or would framing for like a house work ? Baby, Don't Go (Southern Roads, #3) by Stephanie Bond


message 22: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "Sandy - does the building need to be complete for option 2 or would framing for like a house work ? Baby, Don't Go (Southern Roads, #3) by Stephanie Bond"

Sorry, Dee, it needs to be a complete building.


message 23: by Prajakta (new)

Prajakta | 150 comments Can i use:

Option 2: The Believers by Zoë Heller


message 24: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Prajakta wrote: "Can i use:

Option 2: The Believers by Zoë Heller"


yes, those are clearly buildings on the cover.


message 25: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4078 comments Books I am considering for option 2:

Silent Mercy (Alexandra Cooper, #13) by Linda Fairstein Acceptable Loss (William Monk #17) by Anne Perry The Jester by James Patterson The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom Reap What You Sew (A Southern Sewing Circle, #6) by Elizabeth Lynn Casey Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1) by Janet Bolin The Diva Digs Up the Dirt (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #6) by Krista Davis Threaded for Trouble (Threadville Mystery, #2) by Janet Bolin

I think any of these would work.


message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7685 comments Figured but thought I would ask anyways ;)


message 27: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1385 comments I rolled two 4's

From my understanding I do both books with this task

Do these work?

Touch by Gayleen Froese Touch Victoria BC

and

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay Sarah's Key for France


message 28: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Deborah wrote: "I rolled two 4's

From my understanding I do both books with this task

Do these work?

Touch by Gayleen Froese Touch Victoria BC

and

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay[book:Sarah'..."


yes, those work just fine.


message 29: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "Books I am considering for option 2:

Silent Mercy (Alexandra Cooper, #13) by Linda FairsteinAcceptable Loss (William Monk #17) by Anne PerryThe Jester by James PattersonThe Birthing House by Christopher Ransom[bookcover:Reap What You..."


yes they would


message 30: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Just wanted to confirm, for option 2, can I use Paper Towns by John Green ?
It looks like a map with a road on the cover.


message 31: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Erin (NY) wrote: "Just wanted to confirm, for option 2, can I use Paper Towns by John Green ?
It looks like a map with a road on the cover."


yes, looks like a road to me.


message 32: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3523 comments Does this cover work for a building, i.e. the lighthouse?
Loss of Innocence by Richard North Patterson


message 33: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Andy wrote: "Does this cover work for a building, i.e. the lighthouse?
Loss of Innocence by Richard North Patterson"


yes


message 34: by Natalie (new)

Natalie  | 153 comments Eepa (Eija) wrote: "Those dies hate me. I rolled 2 and 5 and I have no idea at all what I'm going to read for non-fiction music. I don't even read fictional books about musicians, much less non-fiction. This is so not..."

I've rolled a 5 as well and I'm planning on reading Keith Richard's biography Life. From what I've heard, Patty Smith's biography is also pretty good. I hope you'll find something tempting...

My other roll was a three and I have found exactly ONE Aries author on my tbr (among countless Virgos, Aquarius', Sagittarius' and Capricorns :-), thankfully the book meets the page requirement, yippie!

This is a very fun and creative task, thank you Sandy. We're fans of Settlers of Catan, too!


message 35: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Natalie wrote: "This is a very fun and creative task, thank you Sandy. We're fans of Settlers of Catan, too!
"


Thanks, Natalie. Actually, as soon as the basketball game is over, we're starting tonight's Settlers game!


message 36: by Prajakta (new)

Prajakta | 150 comments Can i get approval for The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot for Option 6?

RS from SETTLERSOFCATAN.


message 37: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Prajakta wrote: "Can i get approval for The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot for Option 6?

RS from SETTLERSOFCATAN."


sure. Please understand that you do not have to get pre-approval for all books - in fact, you do not need to get pre-approval for any book. This is simply available for you to check on options that may be questionable, to make sure they fit the task, before you read/post them for a task.


message 38: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1763 comments So I rolled 2 3's. Can I read the same Aries author 2 times (two different books)?


message 39: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Cindie wrote: "So I rolled 2 3's. Can I read the same Aries author 2 times (two different books)?"

yes you can


message 41: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3523 comments Sandy wrote: "Andy wrote: "Does this cover work for a building, i.e. the lighthouse?
Loss of Innocence by Richard North Patterson"

yes"

Thank you!


message 42: by Ana (new)

Ana | 355 comments Does this work for a road?
The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2) by Jeffery Deaver


message 43: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Ana wrote: "Does this work for a road?
The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2) by Jeffery Deaver"


yes, I can see the road there.


message 44: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 819 comments City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) by Cassandra Clare

Are the buildings clear enough on the bottom?


message 45: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
KSMary wrote: "City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) by Cassandra Clare

Are the buildings clear enough on the bottom?"


yes, I see them. Mention this when you post, so I don't have to think about it again!


message 46: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 819 comments Thank you!


Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (eepa) | 188 comments For option 2. Do you accept either of these as building enough?

Perilous Partnership by Ariel Tachna Conflict in Blood (Partnership in Blood, #3) by Ariel Tachna


message 48: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Eepa (Eija) wrote: "For option 2. Do you accept either of these as building enough?

Perilous Partnership by Ariel TachnaConflict in Blood (Partnership in Blood, #3) by Ariel Tachna"


yes, I see the buildings on the cover.


message 49: by Megan (last edited Dec 02, 2013 01:33PM) (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments I rolled a 2 and a 6.

For 2, can I use Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth ? It looks like there's a factory on the bottom.

For 6, could I use Being Henry David by Cal Armistad? I know name-wise it works, but I'd kinda like to get the lack of children's locked in. Just in case. Because GR is troublesome sometimes.

ETA: I lovelovelovelovelove Settlers of Catan!


message 50: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Ms Anderson wrote: "I rolled a 2 and a 6.

For 2, can I use Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth? It looks like there's a factory on the bottom.

For 6, could I use Being Henry David by Cal Armistad? I know ..."


Yes, there's a building on the cover of Allegiant. For the other, it's noted - I don't think you'll have a problem since I didn't see Childrens in the first 100 shelvings, but just in case..................

And, yes, terrific game!


« previous 1
back to top