Literally Geeky discussion

The Stupidest Angel > The Stupidest Christmas Films

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ez, The God of Catan (new)

Ez (thevapidwench) | 287 comments Mod
Christmas, love it or loath it.

What makes a good Christmas film (aside from adding Muppets)? What makes the shit-list of absolute Christmas baubles?

message 2: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (trippdigital) | 170 comments Mod
The Christmas films I make sure to watch every year out of tradition are Home Alone, Muppets Christmas Carol, and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

But the films that really put me in the holiday spirit are the Rankin/Bass specials like Rudolph, Frosty, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, and my favorite, The Year Without a Santa Claus (love the Miser Brothers).

There's a ton of bad Christmas movies out there. From the intentionally bad (Santa's Slay) to the just plain awful (those Tim Allen films). Also, this may be holiday blasphemy to some, but I've never cared for A Christmas Story.

message 3: by Vincent (new)

Vincent | 12 comments If I don't get to see Elf, Scrooged and a Muppet Christmas Carol then it just isn't Christmas.

I was only kidding about the Arnie film btw, it is pretty pish.

message 4: by Ez, The God of Catan (new)

I have never seen a Christmas story.

I love the original Grinch - great animation and nice voice work by Boris Karloff, Christmas Eve you'll always find me drinking Babycham and watching the Nightmare Before Christmas, and I'm a sucker for It's A Wonderful Life.

I once made someone cry being mean about Santa Claus the Movie.

message 5: by Lara, Not Laura (new)

Lara (larasaurus) | 109 comments Mod
I haven't seen A Christmas Story either. For me, it's always Home Alone (1 or 2, it doesn't matter - they're exactly the same).

I used to like Elf. I hate Will Ferrell, but that film made me giggle. But it's Jack's favourite, and I've had to sit through it a countless number of times, and.... URGH.

This has reminded me that I haven't watched Muppets Christmas Carol in YEARS, so we'll be doing that on Christmas Eve I think.

I really wasn't a fan of Arthur Christmas, which came out a few years ago. Santa with a weird spaceship sleigh? Stupid. STUPID.

message 6: by Ez, The God of Catan (last edited Dec 08, 2013 10:08AM) (new)

It's not a film, but the Box of Delights (circa BBC 1984) made my childhood Christmases. And adult ones.

Starring Pat Troughton (2nd Doctor) and Robert Stevens (voice of Aragorn in the BBC Radio 4 adaptation). The Box of Delights is a great blend of, ahem, cutting edge animation (for its day), "scrobbling", a magic box, time travel, gangs, guns, nosey little kids, and .... oh it was brilliant.

The wolves are running.