Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Nancy's May

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nancy (Hrdcovers) (TheReader23) | 30 comments I only read three books in May....two were excellent and one was just okay.

The Boleyn Inheritence by Philippa Gregory -- I thought this book was fabulous and was definitely one of my favorites of the series. I rated it a "10". Does anyone know if there are plans for any more in this series?

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak -- Ha ha....I orginally bought this book because I thought it was a mystery. It was anything but. I thought it was so well written. The first 30 pages were tough and I didn't think I was going to like it but it ended up being one of my favorites for the year. I have the review posted here on Goodreads if anyone wants to read it. Rated 9 of 10

The Turnaround by George Pelecanos -- I just wrote a long post about Pelecanos and the fact that I'm ready to give up on him. I'm so so so sick of all the music and sports references in his books. I get it...he's a music aficionado but I'm sick of it. Lose your security blanket or lose this reader. Rated 7 of 10.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments Nancy (Hrdcovers) wrote: "I only read three books in May....two were excellent and one was just okay.

The Turnaround by George Pelecanos -- I just wrote a long post about Pelecanos and the fact that I'm ready to give up on him. I'm so so so sick of all the music and sports references in his books. I get it...he's a music aficionado but I'm sick of it. Lose your security blanket or lose this reader. Rated 7 of 10..."

I love Pelecanos, and loved The Turnaround, too. I think one of the things I like about the books IS the music references. They set a time, a place and a mood for me. Especially with the definite period type books like Hard Revolution.