Amazon Kindle discussion

Reading more?

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by BookAddict (new)

BookAddict (bookaddictgirrl) | 26 comments Is anyone reading more now that they have a Kindle than they were before? My husband is starting to worry because I can barely tear myself away. I can't even read normal books anymore ... the print is too small, it's harder to read in bed, the normal page resolution isn't as good... although I do miss sharing great books with friends...

message 2: by Elena (last edited Jun 17, 2009 05:45PM) (new)

Elena Yes, I am reading a lot more! I find I read faster and it takes longer for me to get tire.

message 3: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig I am reading more with my Kindle, too. Elena, I agree I think I do read faster. I think the other part of the reason is that it is so easy to carry around with me than a large fat book. Of course, I say that now as I am reading a large fat book right now, but I wish it was on my Kindle.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth K (callaflower) | 19 comments i think i'm reading more with my Kindle. right now i'm trying to read some more of my physical books to get them out of the way and i have little desire to pick them up and carry them around. reading on kindle is so effortless.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (threeundertwo) | 3 comments I think I'm reading more because I'm simply less distracted, so I get through books faster.

message 6: by Heather (last edited Jun 19, 2009 04:32AM) (new)

Heather (lovingmyhusbandandmybooks) | 5 comments I read tons more! lol I carry my kindle around with me everywhere I go. I love showing it off too! My husband is giving me grief too lol I think it's normal but in the end the books are cheaper and that makes him happy. (except I buy more lol)

message 7: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Coleman (jacqden04) | 8 comments I have read more books on Kindle then in paperbook this year. It seem to be easier for me to get into the books or read faster.

message 8: by Gina (new)

Gina (so_vintage87) | 16 comments I find the same thing. I got my Kindle in March. It is the most amazing thing ever. It seems to just dissolve away and all that is left is your imagination. I find myself reading books that would have normally taken me weeks in days.

message 9: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidimar) | 5 comments I just looked last night, in 4 months I have read 18 books on my Kindle. I thought I read a lot before but this is more than I read last year alone.. I'm so excited to read each book and start on the next. I love it

message 10: by Elena (last edited Jul 26, 2009 12:12PM) (new)

Elena As an example of how I read more on Kindle. I started "One Hundred Years of Solitude" the other day on a "real" book since it was not available on Kindle. The story wasn't that good, the letters were very small, and the pages were yellow. I gave up. I am sure that was I reading in on my Kindle I would have finished the book, and I will very probably had been able to get into the story.

message 11: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 12 comments I am definitely reading more. I used to have to wait till I took a trip to the Barnes & Noble to get books. Now with Amazon, it's instant gratification. I also get the newspaper on the Kindle, so I start my morning with a coffee and a Kindle.

message 12: by Richelle (new)

Richelle (rahlvers) | 1 comments Let see... read 5 books on my Kindle DX in the first day. Yep, reading more. :) I too "cleaned out" my to-do pile of regular books while I was waiting (impatiently) for my DX to arrive. I also read 14 books on my husband's Kindle 2 (he only read 1) while waiting.

Normally I'll try to limit myself to 6-8 a month - otherwise I don't get anything else done, and can't really spent *all* my free time reading...

message 13: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 12 comments I'm reading much more since I got my Kindle, partly because I can get a new book even if I don't have time to get to the bookstore and partly because it's easier to read, since I can adjust the font size. I got mine in November and have read 49 books on it. Like others, I'm also alternating with some of my "real" books that are backlogged. I find that I prefer reading short story collections, books with photos or illustration, and professional books in "real" books - everything else on my Kindle!

message 14: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Has anyone tried to use their Kindle on a treadmill or other exercise machine? I think it would be well suited with the increased font size. Another way to read more Kindle books!

message 15: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Coleman (jacqden04) | 8 comments Yes, I have and it works just fine for exercise equipment.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 43 comments My husband says the same thing! I can't tear myself away...

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

i spend more time reading and consequently read more books now that i have a kindle.

tell you what, that change-the-font thing is a GODSEND!

message 18: by Jeanne (last edited Aug 19, 2009 06:04AM) (new)

Jeanne (jeannef) | 4 comments Bryan wrote: "Has anyone tried to use their Kindle on a treadmill or other exercise machine? I think it would be well suited with the increased font size. Another way to read more Kindle books!"

Yes, I took a wire hanger and bent the bottom middle piece out, turned the hook backward and hooked it onto my treadmill. My Kindle stays put and yes I have to change to font to the largest!

Oh, and yes I'm reading so much more now than ever.

message 19: by Kip (new)

Kip Williams (kipwilliams) | 6 comments I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one who is reading more since getting the Kindle. As others here have said, the page resolution is so nice that I can read for hours without straining my eyes. The portability is especially nice because I'm not limited to a single book or two when I'm out and around. I carry it with me and can easily have a number of books going at once. I've told people the Kindle is the most exciting thing for me since learning how to read.

message 20: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) I am reading more too! My hubby walks by me and says: "Kindle, kindle, kindle!" I told him at least I am out of my craft room (my other hiding place!) LOL!

message 21: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I read over 100 books a year most years. I'm never without a book. What the kindle has done is make it less likely that I will be killed by my bookpile falling over on me. The bookpile still grows, but more slowly. And I'm loving it for reading books like Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle ... each book is over 800 pages, and weighs a ton, even in paperback.

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) I'm reading much more. I've read 40+ books since June, which is pretty decent for me. I'm constantly in a book, and it's much easier now.

message 23: by Mary E. (new)

Mary E. (jujjy) | 8 comments I've definitely been reading more since I got my Kindle in February of this year. I'm closing out 2009 with over 120 books read. I'm shooting for 144 in 2010. :)

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessers) Absolutely. I love the thing so much I'm constantly finding things to download and read even if I don't care too terribly much about the subject or synopsis. I got it for xmas this year and I've already knocked out three and a half books. I can't put it down!

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 109 comments Yes! I do read more. I am about 1/3 of the way through a book I just started reading at 1 AM (it's 6:30 PM now). I didn't want to put the Kindle down to sleep. I am setting a goal to read 100 books this year. I hope I can do it :) It seems so much easier to read, carry, hold and I wish I could own all my books on Kindle. I actually repurchased The Twilight Saga on Kindle since I just had to have it in Kindle form. I wish I could have the Inkheart Trilogy on Kindle :( My wonderful boyfriend bought me Inkdeath and I plan to start it next month but is SO BIG I fear it will take forever to read!

message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 8 comments I read more - definitely. Part of it is that it is easier to take everywhere. I know I read a lot on the treadmill at the gym now because of the change in font makes it easier.

message 27: by Regina (new)

Regina Well, I received my Kindle DX for Christmas and so far (one week, one day later), I have read two books. However, the first was a tome by Wally Lamb (724 pages in print) and the second is Tolstoy's 'Anna Karenina'. So I guess that qualifies me in the category of "definitely reading more":-)

message 28: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments re: Wally Lamb: I really liked The Hour I First Believed, but thought I Know This Much is True was a better book. She's Come Undone annoyed me.

message 29: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 42 comments You read Anna Karenina in half a week!?

message 30: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 93 comments Cathy, I was thinking the same thing. Half a week??

message 31: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) I just finished Breaking Dawn (Twilight #4) on Saturday and I started it the day after Christmas. That is a world record for me!

message 32: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Darrow (melaniedarrow) Bryan wrote: "Has anyone tried to use their Kindle on a treadmill or other exercise machine? I think it would be well suited with the increased font size. Another way to read more Kindle books!"

No but I thought about it recently.

message 33: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Darrow (melaniedarrow) I definitely read more on my kindle. The ease of use, the instant gratification of reading what I want when I want (for the most part) is just too good :)

message 34: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
Bryan wrote: "Has anyone tried to use their Kindle on a treadmill or other exercise machine? I think it would be well suited with the increased font size. Another way to read more Kindle books!"

I used to use my Kindle while on the treadmill at the gym all the time. It was great not having to flip pages or find a way to keep the book from shutting itself.

message 35: by Amber (new)

Amber Adamchuk (celticstorm76) I am reading about double the amount of books... and reading books I NEVER Thought to read - it's GREAT!

message 36: by Tammie (new)

Tammie (puddles) | 5 comments I took my Kindle on a plane this past week...and realized at the end of the trip how much faster I was reading. Not sure why. When I mentioned it to my husband he just rolled his eyes and said you already read faster than most people, what comes after speed reading??

but I seriously have to agree ...I think its the ability to adjust the font that works for me.

message 37: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherschultz) Bryan wrote: "Has anyone tried to use their Kindle on a treadmill or other exercise machine? I think it would be well suited with the increased font size. Another way to read more Kindle books!"

Absolutely! Just increase the font and you're good to go:)

message 38: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Great, thanks everyone. I'm giving it a try.

message 39: by Britt☮ (last edited Apr 21, 2010 03:27PM) (new)

Britt☮ (genki_bee) | 55 comments I am not only reading more, but reading a lot of books (classics that are free/public domain) I probably would have never considered otherwise!

As for the ability to change font size, I always thought, "It's a nice option to have, but it doesn't matter to me." Then yesterday, I was at my friend's house looking through a couple of his books, and the print was SO TINY I don't know how I would have read it without giving myself a major headache. Though I took the Kindle's adjustable font size for granted before, I certainly appreciate it now!

message 40: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Oneal (moneal) | 6 comments Bryan wrote: "Has anyone tried to use their Kindle on a treadmill or other exercise machine? I think it would be well suited with the increased font size. Another way to read more Kindle books!"

I LOVE to read my Kindle/Kindle Iphone App on the elliptical and stationary bike. The only reason I haven't done it on the treadmill is because I run and I tried it and it irritated me. I don't even notice the workouts on the other machines when I'm reading. I've read a couple of books at the gym and it's been so much fun... and even though it's a "slacker workout", I'm in much better shape. I always read for an hour.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 109 comments Britt☮ wrote: "I am not only reading more, but reading a lot of books (classics that are free/public domain) I probably would have never considered otherwise!

As for the ability to change font size, I always tho..."

I totally agree with you. I never realize it until I am reading a book in print. I have many books in print still and some that aren't available on Kindle. I appreciate the adjustable font so much more after reading a book with small print. I only have mine set for 4 I think but it is a difference.

I feel like I read so much faster on Kindle than with paper books because it is more comfortable on my eyes and to hold (especially with big books like 400+ pages)

I also have noticed when I read books in the car while my bf drives I get nauseous. I am less likely to have that happen with my Kindle. I think it is because the print is larger and the pages aren't bouncing like with paper... if that makes sense. I can also hold it up more comfortably. Yes I know. I am in love.

Right now I am reading Interview With the Vampire on paper and the print is small and it is going so slowly. Not the easiest author to read either I gather. I miss my Kindle :'( I will probably take a break from Anne Rice after this book and read something on Kindle.

message 42: by Connie (last edited Apr 29, 2010 09:58AM) (new)

Connie Faull | 80 comments Awesomevegan wrote: "I also have noticed when I read books in the car while my bf drives I get nauseous. I am less likely to have that happen with my Kindle. I think it is because the print is larger and the pages aren't bouncing like with paper... if that makes sense. I can also hold it up more comfortably. Yes I know. I am in love."

I take the bus to work and I had a hard time reading because sometimes I would get nauseous as well. When I got the Kindle I noticed if I change to a larger font, I don't get motion sickness.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 109 comments Connie wrote: "Awesomevegan wrote: "I also have noticed when I read books in the car while my bf drives I get nauseous. I am less likely to have that happen with my Kindle. I think it is because the print is larg..."

The funny thing is I never get motion sickness normally any other way. Cars, planes, boats, trains, buses... I am fine. ONLY when I try to read while in a moving vehicle does it happen. I never actually throw up. I just feel queasy. It is the strangest thing. But like I said I don't have that problem with the Kindle. Never knew how big of a difference that adjustable text size would make.

message 44: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (scruffynerfer) | 142 comments I want to say that I read faster and more on the kindle than I do with a normal book but I don't think I do. Maybe I just haven't found that a book that can really suck me in just yet but I seem to be able to ready a couple of percent of a book at a time. I think it has something to do with the short attention span I have, which if it is sucks as I do like reading its just that my mind wonders alot.

I am going to try now and carry on reading 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' and see if I can read for longer.

message 45: by Lanip (new)

Lanip | 7 comments YES! I'm reading tons more and I carry my Kindle around everywhere! The small font/aging eyes thing coupled with the heavy books had really taken a toll on my reading over the years. The Kindle has refreshed my love with the printed page. I love eInk.