2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni, #1)
This topic is about The Golem and the Jinni
ARCHIVE 2013 > The Golem and the Jinni: General Discussion *Spoiler Free*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Craig (new) - added it

Craig | 826 comments Our Group Read for December will be The Golem and the Jinni, by Helene Wecker.

Chava is a golem, a creature made of clay, brought to life by a disgraced rabbi who dabbles in dark Kabbalistic magic. When her master, the husband who commissioned her, dies at sea on the voyage from Poland, she is unmoored and adrift as the ship arrives in New York in 1899.

Ahmad is a djinni, a being of fire, born in the ancient Syrian desert. Trapped in an old copper flask by a Bedouin wizard centuries ago, he is released accidentally by a tinsmith in a Lower Manhattan shop. Though he is no longer imprisoned, Ahmad is not entirely free – an unbreakable band of iron binds him to the physical world.

The Golem & The Djinni is their magical, unforgettable story; unlikely friends whose tenuous attachment challenges their opposing natures – until the night a terrifying incident drives them back into their separate worlds. But a powerful threat will soon bring Chava and Ahmad together again, challenging their existence and forcing them to make a fateful choice.

Our leader for this discussion will be Brian.

message 2: by Brian (last edited Dec 08, 2013 03:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments Yay! I'm so happy my nomination was picked, and I'm very excited to lead my first group read discussion.

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker

I know December can be a very busy month because of the holidays, but I would love to have you all join me in discussing this book if you are able and willing!

I will get a copy in the next couple of days and figure out how to split up the discussion threads for Craig to set up. Then, I'll be kicking off the discussion as soon as I can to try to get more of you involved early on before the holidays hit (also, I have to begin a major project for work around December 20th-22nd which will eat into more of my spare time).

I encourage you to check it out even if you're not into magic/fantasy themes. Here are some quotes from editorials highlighting the novel's unique blending of many different genres:

"A dazzling debut…You’ll be hooked by the vivid interplay of historical fiction, magical fable, and philosophical musing and the colorful supporting cast…Read it in one long, guilt-free gulp (it’s serious literature!).” (San Francisco magazine)

History, magic and religion braid together in old New York’s tenements…The interplay of loyalties and the struggle to assert reason over emotion keep the pages flipping.” (New York Times Book Review)

"Wecker maintains her novel’s originality as she orchestrates a satisfying and unpredictable ending. The Golem and the Jinni is a continuous delight — provocative, atmospheric, and superbly paced. ” (Jane Ciabattari, Boston Globe)

The author makes you care enough about the humanity of these magical spirits to not only see them through to the end but also to regret that you’ve reached the last page.” (Patricia Cohen, New York Times)

I have not read any books published in 2013 yet, so this will be my first. Looking forward to it.

Sarah Sounds like a great book. I would love to join in the group read but unfortunately my library do not stock the book and as it is a recent release, it's still priced high and I need to buy Christmas presents. Just realised it's a pretty long book too so no chance I'll fit it in in December with all the other challenge books I have to read. I might get to it in the new year though. It does look good though! I hope you enjoy it.

message 4: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments So thrilled this is our book! I'm in for sure.

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments @Kara Yay!

@Sarah I totally understand. I'm not expecting a huge number of people will be able to fit this one in for the reasons you've stated, but it will be fun either way! A few of the libraries in my area have it, but I think I'm going to buy the hard copy for the pretty cover.

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments My Thanksgiving was busier than I anticipated, so I still need to get a copy of the book tomorrow. Sorry for being a bit behind - will post again very soon.

Cassandra | 5832 comments I just put the book on hold at the library... There's no wait, so I should have it within the next couple of days. It's not a book I've heard of before, but it sounds interesting, and I'm excited to get in on my first group read! I've never been part of a book club of any sort, so this should be fun. :D

message 8: by Craig (new) - added it

Craig | 826 comments I got the book on my kindle....now just need to make the time to read it :)

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments @Cassandra Awesome! Welcome again to the group.

@Craig I'm getting a copy this evening.

Ashleigh Langan (ashleighreads) | 54 comments I have my copy waiting to be picked up at the library this evening - looking forward to it, this is not normally a book I would stick on my TBR list so I am happy to be breaking out of my "comfort zone!"

message 11: by Megan, Challenges (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan (lahairoi) | 6431 comments Just checked my copy out from the library and going to start today!

message 12: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments I started last night! I'm finding it really enjoyable so far.

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments @Ashleigh It's definitely not a book I'd normally consider either - I'm breaking out of my comfort zone this month for this and my TBR read The Night Circus.

@Megan great! happy to have people :]

Feel free to post in the discussion threads when you're ready- I just started reading it myself today and will post there soon when I have some ideas but may be a bit behind. So far I'm really enjoying it as well.

message 14: by Jack (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jack Hansen | 331 comments I just downloaded this book, all 3 parts. After meeting my 2013 Challenges and the Nanowrimo first draft, I resumed the one book I stopped to meet those challenges. I've been recharging and getting involved with family and groups once again. It's time for Fantasy and Science Fiction; I am looking forward to the discussions.

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments @Jack Great Jack, happy to have you!

Londa (londalocs) | 117 comments Have the book but won't get to it until the end of the month.

I did want to comment on how gorgeous the hardcover edition is though. The front cover is stunning, and I love the deep blue dyed page edges! I am a sucker for a pretty book. I hope it reads as good as it looks.

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments @Londa Great, feel free to chime in whenever you get to reading it! I agree, the cover is indeed stunning. My family used to take our dog to the dog run at Washington Square Park all the time when I was a kid, so I know that archway well.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

So far so good! I just started reading it, and find it enjoyable so far. Can't wait to finish and compare notes :)

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments @Joyce Welcome! I'm glad you're enjoying the book as well.

Laura | 28 comments I'm in too! Only at 7% on my Kindle but I'm already invested.

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments @Laura Glad to have you. Welcome to the discussion!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

@Brian: Thanks! Unfortunately, I am a bit of a slow reader. Hope to finish it time to join in the discussion(s)

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments oh @Joyce, no worries, take your time! I actually finished the book last night (I was in a bit of a rush to get it completed for my end of the year challenge as I have a number of commitments coming up).

Not many have really posted in the discussion threads yet, so I'm sure you'll finish in time assuming everyone else does too!

PS Loved the book - gave it 5 stars. Granted, it is LONG and around 3/4 into the book (our part 3) I had to really motivate myself to get through but in the end I thought it was a completely magical and heartwarming fairytale, that totally deserves to be completed. Very excited to hear what everyone else thinks (and please! no one feel pressured to love it - if you hate it or just find you couldn't finish, post in one of the threads and explain why!) I'd love to hear any and all thoughts :]

Ashleigh Langan (ashleighreads) | 54 comments I am only on page 75 and having a hard time finding the time to get into it ..it is a very long read but from what everyone is saying it is a very good book and I a PUSHING myself to finish. This will be a great way for me to explore new genres!

message 25: by Brian (last edited Dec 12, 2013 11:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments @Ashleigh When I was at your place in the book, I felt it started to pick up quite a bit after that.

There are a lot of different story lines and many characters to keep track of which can be disorienting at first. I am actually beginning to like authors who weave many characters together using an omniscient third person point-of-view more and more.

I did read through this book rather quickly and finished on Sunday. I had to get onto my buddy read, and I wanted to be able to respond to people's comments so i could continue to participate in the discussions throughout the month.

I have also enjoyed Helene Wecker's descriptions of moments where a spark or glimmer of magic happens amidst the humdrum and gritty streets of New York City life and right under the noses of its weary, disinterested human residents. I was drawn into the interactions and variety of responses and saw the book as an urban fairytale.

There's no rush for you to get through it, though! Take your time and comment whenever you feel like you want to say something, Perhaps due to its length, this book might be better experienced in small chunks at a time - a couple chapters here and there every day.

Also, if you continue to read on for a while and find that you are forcing yourself to make time and pushing yourself to keep going, then please! By all means feel free to put it down and read something you enjoy. There is never any pressure in this group to read anything you don't want or to finish books you might not like. We all have SO many different tastes (that go beyond just genre) when we read. My strong enthusiasm for the book certainly stems from being the leader of the discussion and encouraging anyone and everyone to participate, as well as the fact that I did happen to love the book and gave it 5 stars.

If you find yourself getting more into the book, you can talk about what changed for you, or if you felt like you had to put it down, you can discuss what it was you didn't like. Happy reading!

Karena (karenafagan) I read this one earlier in the year and loved it. It did have a couple slow parts, but the whole of the book made up for it. The characters, the magic, the descriptions of the city and people were all very well done.

I am a little disappointed I bought it in eformat after seeing how lovely the cover is. I may end up buying a hardback copy soon!

message 27: by Brian (last edited Dec 12, 2013 04:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments @Karena I also agree there were some slow parts - I think it was around 3/4 of the way in I felt it started to slow down and bore me just a bit. I rated based on my overall impression of the book, though I do feel those parts could have been condensed and perhaps made the book 60 pages shorter.

I caved and bought the hardcover book, and the cover is GORGEOUS -- an impressive addition to anyone's library.

Kevin | 4 comments My first book club read ever. So great flu that it is so well written. My mind is taking the wonderful journey to the desert and back to NY in my favorite time period. Can't wait to see where this takes me.

Cassandra | 5832 comments Something seriously wacky was going on with my hold at the library, and it was just filled. I don't think I'll be able to pick it up until Monday. Unfortunately, since it's such a long read, I probably won't be able to participate in much or any discussion. I'm still looking forward to reading the book, though, and am glad to hear that you all seem to like it!

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments @Kevin I found it to be a wonderful jounrey too! NY is my favorite city, and I don't know very much about the time period but LOVED reading about it. Am now reading The Night Circus which is in the same time period and also takes place in New York and other places across the globe like London.

@Cassandra I hate when library holds take longer than expected, it's never too late for you to participate! You can comment on anything whenever you feel like saying something in one of our threads - we have them split up into three parts of the book - ch.1-10 (which seems to get the most discussion anyway), 10-20, and 20-29. If not, no worries at all and hope you enjoy the book.

Welcome and happy reading to you both!

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments I'll be joining once the book comes off hold at my library.

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments @Theresa Yay! I'm glad you'll be joining our discussion, and I hope you will enjoy the book.

I actually only very recently started using my tiny local library again after moving back to my hometown a couple months ago. It's amazing how much has changed from when I borrowed books there as a kid. Now there's a very useful online search catalog that connects me to an extensive network of about 15-20 libraries in the region and allows me to search for all available copies, place a hold on the first available copy, and then get it delivered to pick up at my own library. When I searched my library network's online catalog to check for this book, they were sadly all checked out or on hold for me as well, so I just bought it. I hope your copy comes off hold soon!

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments Brian, I put the book on hold this past weekend, and it was ready for download tonight. I guess I got lucky. Anyway, I'll get to this one after I finish my current reads...definitely finishing it before the end of December.

Laura | 28 comments This book is SO enjoyable although I'm not quite finished (about 20% to go). I'm reading it on my Kindle but I think it may be one I'll have to purchase for the bookshelf!

message 35: by Brian (last edited Dec 25, 2013 08:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments @Theresa Great!! It's of course totally okay if you don't manage to finish by the end of December - I'm finding it hard to finish books this month. This book was my first priority since I nominated it and would feel pretty depressed if I hadn't made sure to finish it -- I'm in kind of a reading lull now though. It's the holiday laziness I think. The New year with all its resolutions will be a new and welcome spark of inspiration.

@Laura I'm so happy you find it so enjoyable!!! I read the hardcover version - I'm not sure how it would compare on the Kindle. It is a pretty long book, I think it took me about 5 days. It does get a little bit slow at some parts about 2/3 in, but if you're enjoying it this far, I think you'll be really happy with the book overall and won't regret finishing it. For me, it's one that has stuck with me still weeks later. And like I said to Theresa - don't feel pressured to rush yourself through to finish by the end of December. I anticipated that this monthly group read would be a challenge -- it's been my busiest month all year too and I didn't think about that when nominating a really long book during the busiest month at the very end of a year, when people are all understandably more excited and thinking about 2014.

I'm still very glad I did though :)

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments Brian, I actually started reading, or more correctly, listening to it today. I clipped on my iPod when I got up and listened while I fixed our Turkey Dinner. It was a quiet Christmas here, so I actually got through almost half the book today. I'll continue during my work commute the next two days and will certainly finish it this week.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

@Brian: I am reading this novel on the iPad and believe it would be similar to the Kindle version. It is just as long as in pages I believe (maybe longer, depending on text/font size?)

But I do have to admit, there is nothing like reading the physical book. There's just something about it.

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments Theresa~OctoberLace wrote: "Brian, I actually started reading, or more correctly, listening to it today. I clipped on my iPod when I got up and listened while I fixed our Turkey Dinner. It was a quiet Christmas here, so I a..."

@Theresa Great! I think it's kind of a good book to read around this time of year with much of the book set in the winter in New York City - at least for me being a northerner :)

@Joyce Yeah I meant more the experience of reading it on the Kindle I wouldn't know - I've only really read short books on eReaders. I'm actually currently reading two textbooks for school on eReaders....or trying to...biggest mistake of my life.

Also this book's cover is so beautiful that it would draw me in any time I sat down at my desk - getting not much work done for a few days.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Brian wrote: "Theresa~OctoberLace wrote: "Brian, I actually started reading, or more correctly, listening to it today. I clipped on my iPod when I got up and listened while I fixed our Turkey Dinner. It was a ..."

Although there is a picture of the cover on the ereader, the experience is not the same.
I find the desire/eagerness to read is not there. Since I read mine on the iPad, I tend to get distracted by other things I can do (i.e stream tv shows I've missed, etc) :P

Laura | 28 comments Brian, an urban fairytale is a very good description of this book...for adults of course. I finished today and loved it! Gets 5 stars from me as well. This story is incredibly descriptive and well written. It might be rather long but it seems like it would make a good movie too.

message 41: by Brian (last edited Dec 27, 2013 04:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments @Laura Yes, this book is the quintessential urban fairytale. You're totally right! I'm so glad you enjoyed it too. I don't often give 5 stars, but yeah, the writing and imagery are so atmospheric and beautiful, and this has to be one of the most creative stories I've ever read. The characters were all for the most part a joy to read about and wonderfully endearing.

I loved how Chava and Ahmad's philosophies bounce off of each other so fluidly. I won't spoil anything specifically since this is general discussion, but I felt like there were so many great philosophical discussions between them about free will and struggling to live according to separate yet equally strict moral codes. They might be mythological creatures that don't exist, but they faced ethical dilemmas and struggled with problems that affect us all.

Most humans unfortunately don't even think about these things - like what constitutes accountability for one's actions exactly -- some people seem to consistently get away with doing terrible things without ever being held accountable, while others are sometimes punished for most of their lives for a misfortune brought on them by another person or external force. The more I read people's reactions to the book, the more I realize how much the book's themes affected me and stuck with me - an excellent urban fairytale :)

message 42: by Brian (last edited Dec 26, 2013 10:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments Laura wrote: "It might be rather long but it seems like it would make a good movie too. "

I meant to comment on that but got carried away and forgot. Whenever I read a book that hasn't yet been made into a movie - this especially applies to new books that are still relatively unknown like I believe The Golem and the Jinni is - I am constantly imagining how it might work as a movie.

As you say, the book is incredibly descriptive and therefore there are some scenes and events with the potential for some visually stunning and breathtaking cinema. However, I have a really hard time conceiving the entire book as a movie. So many things happen in so many different places around the world. I think the full story is definitely too long for a movie.

I also worry about a film version because there are potentially so many things that can go very wrong in the process of adapting any book to film - but this one especially would be an ENORMOUS artistic challenge. I'm not sure any team could pull it off. You'd have to have a period piece transitioning from scene to scene with flashbacks you're not sure are flashbacks, jumping from New York City to Syria to Poland to maybe a dozen characteristically different neighborhoods in New York City.

Also, I would love for anyone to prove me wrong, but I can't think of many good movies that are set primarily in 1899-1900 NYC. That's a big reason why I learned so much from this book about New York at that time. I was shocked that I really didn't know about a lot of what it was like back then, like the glowing gaslights, the streetcars, the sheep in central park (I thought that was a rumor! Maybe it is I forget), overhead trains, and even much Ellis Island. I just haven't seen it much in film before, which makes me want a movie like this to be made really really badly. I've lived in New York City for several years, and I actually had no idea that there used to be trains above ground and am sort of embarrassed...I knew the subway wasn't always there, but I kind of just thought there were normal trains and streetcars and horse carriages...I just never learned it or saw it portrayed I guess. Or maybe I never thought about it, but I'd think some movie's imagery should have stuck with me - like how awesomely different did The Bowery look in 1900?!

Missed opportunity film makers!

Another thing is that in my opinion, when it comes to period pieces, epic fantasy, and fairy tales, filmmakers' minds are instantly like "MUST BE ENGLISH". Movie directors seem to feel that if a movie takes place more than 50 years ago, regardless of where it is, it makes perfect sense for everyone to have a British accent. Somehow it's *~authentic*~ for everyone in a period piece or fairy tale to be English. I have nothing wrong with English accents. In fact I think they're brilliant and find them quite lovely! (I really do love them - am just teasing). But, there are just so many examples of them being over-used, and I don't know if most people even care but it bothers me.

I saw the new-ish movie Anna Karenina recently, and it annoyed me that most of the actors had full-blown British accents. This is Russia! Not England! They're actors! Make them act! Only the cinematography and art design made it feel anything like Russia, and even then it was kind of just European aristocratic generica-land.

So there's the visual accuracy, the challenge of finding actors that can act like they're from anywhere other than the U.S. or England - primarily speaking in Yiddish and Syrian accents, but also a whole range of New York City accents from 1900 ranging from the lowest to the most upper classes. Helene Wecker had to do an insane amount of research I'm sure to give her book its authentic feel, but I can't even imagine how research the filmmakers would need to do to portray this accurately.

And finally, there's the magic and fantasy elements. That's actually the hardest part that is in my opinion has the most potential of making the movie a flop. How do you portray a creature made out of clay that looks like a woman to almost everyone else - only slightly off, walks heavily, but still a woman - and a man who is made out of fire, but just looks like a charming handsome man, who might occasionally exude a slight glow (I just see so many ways for this to go wrong) look like a man?

That's my long take. I very often discuss specific details and challenges that would go into adapting a book that I love into a great film. Then I decide whether I think it should be done or not. This is one story that I'd have to go with should definitely not. If it does happen, and a movie is made (and you KNOW they'd call it "The Golem and the Genie" because Jinni would confuse moviegoers) and by some miracle it's done well, I will be very shocked. Delighted, but shocked.

message 43: by Jack (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jack Hansen | 331 comments I started this audiobook just before Christmas as I was reading a few other books, one that I finished for another challenge. This book is one of the longest, 19.7 hours, unabridged, and downloaded in three parts. I am on Chapter 11, Part II.

Having just written in November for Nanowrimo, I am so aware of the story's quality of writing, research and imagination. The Golem and the Jinni is so intricate that I must stop any possible distraction to stay current with the story-line. For example, writing this post while listening is actually writing a post while hearing. Listening gets lost in the writing. Maybe women do this better than men; I know cannot absorb this beautiful, fantastic story well enough if I am focused on something else. I guess the point I am trying to make is, The Golem and the Jinni is so involved that even a short venture away from listening causes me to miss what happens which affects why things happen.

Thus far, I must say, I enjoy the use of the non-human characters to bring out the most human attributes which most humans take for granted. The author writes from a deep space to reveal this to the audience. Each character is also uniquely developed so that their individual traits, thoughts, and actions are not a repetition of another character.

message 44: by Brian (last edited Dec 27, 2013 05:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments @Jack I can definitely see it being very difficult to concentrate by listening on an Audiobook! Theresa listened to it the same way, but said she had a peaceful and quiet time to sit and get through it. There are so many characters, and scenes often switch rapidly and without notice. In the book, it is much clearer within each chapter when a shift in narrative will take place with stylized curly line breaks, so you know when you're about to change to another character's perspective or another scene entirely.. I'd imagine a third-person omniscient narrative like this would be hard to follow with an Audiobook without undivided attention.

I am glad that you are sticking with it though and that you also enjoyed the way the fantasy characters delve into the core of human characteristics despite not being humans themselves. I saw them just as beings I suppose - like outcasts. And in that, I felt there were definite parallels between the two main characters' struggles to understand and assimilate into human society and culture and immigrants' same struggles to understand and assimilate into the culture of America - New York of course being a major city for immigrants since most passage from Europe traveled to New York City.

Immigrants of every nationality were treated terribly at this time and for several decades after. It's interesting that Irish and Italian immigrants are not brought up in the book - not that they needed to be - but back then, they were treated with contempt and signs for job openings on shops "No Irish Need Apply". Back then, our country was extremely anti-Catholic among other things. With the talk of religion I had hoped to see maybe a bit more, but it wouldn't really have fit into the story (unless of course they had decided to include a third creature -a leprechaun - into the mix - Kidding!)

But in the end they are all just beings, regardless of whether they are human or not - just like all immigrants are obviously human, regardless of their religion or nationality. And similarly, as Chava and Ahmad are products of some master's design, the immigrants sort of became products forced to isolate themselves and behave a certain way by the dominant xenophobic population that wanted nothing to do with them.

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments I finished listening to the audiobook tonight and definitely found it a good read. George Guidall read at an unhurried pace, so I had no trouble following the many shifts in the tale. I'll write a review tomorrow and pop in on the other discussion threads as well. I'm thankful to those who promoted this as the December group read.

message 46: by Jack (last edited Dec 28, 2013 10:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jack Hansen | 331 comments The attraction of the Jinni to the Golem, which really develops in the second 10 chapters, is a familiar sense of being different together. The Golem is such an interesting character with her abilities and naivite. The Jinni is more sophisticated but still an outsider. They both are experiencing the joy of freedom which leads to problems because they let down their guards and their secrets become exposed requiring quick-thinking explanations.

message 47: by Jack (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jack Hansen | 331 comments Brian wrote: "@Jack I can definitely see it being very difficult to concentrate by listening on an Audiobook! Theresa listened to it the same way, but said she had a peaceful and quiet time to sit and get throug..."

I had to remove this statement and put it appropriately as a reply to Brian since Theresa's comment precedes my last response to Brian:

"The Northeast has some of the best ethnic food in the world as a result of immigrants settling where they landed because so many were conned when they tried to expand westward, alone and vulnerable."

Laura | 28 comments Brian, you make a very good case as to why this book should not be made into a movie. I had not thought of the language aspect and you're so right...it does take something away when it's not portrayed in the original story's language. The magic and fantasy elements would absolutely be a challenge for film makers but I was truly surprised with the special effects throughout The Hunger Games movies so perhaps it's possible!

Also, I was fascinated by Chava and Ahmad's philosophical conversations as well. I noticed that in the beginning she had much more of a moral compass than he did but that he came around in the last chapters of the book and seemed to have developed more integrity. His was obviously learned where hers was innate.

I've never been fortunate enough to visit NYC but reading this book has painted some pictures in my mind that I hope to confirm one day.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I have to be honest, I am starting to find it hard to get through the book. Maybe it's cause I'm reading it on my iPad. I find myself distracted..I think I need to have the actual book so I can actually finish it! LOL

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments Joyce wrote: "I have to be honest, I am starting to find it hard to get through the book. Maybe it's cause I'm reading it on my iPad. I find myself distracted..I think I need to have the actual book so I can a..."

No worries! I'm glad you participated and tried :) Never too late to finish, or if it's just not your style of book, totally understandable too!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Golem and the Jinni (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Helene Wecker (other topics)