The FBI (Fabulous, Bold, Indies) discussion

Review Rage > One Starred on a book that isn't even out yet?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily So I got one stared on a book I haven't even released yet. I had it out to a few beta readers, but this person wasn't one of them.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily Thanks I will keep you posted

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Gardner Yes, get in touch with a Goodreads admin on this. They're pretty good at following up when you alert them to a problem.

I did a free giveaway a few months back, and one winner immediately put my book on Amazon (along with 20 or so others) and undercut the list price. I got in touch with Goodreads about it. They were very helpful and flagged the person as 'trouble'.

Don't stand for it and good luck!

message 4: by Marissa (new)

Marissa Doyle | 11 comments Actually, this isn't all that uncommon. Some people will mark books that haven't released yet with a star or two to remind themselves that they want to read it (or how much they want to read it, or whatever). They're using the star system for their own book-tracking purposes, in other words, and in the past GR has refused to police this kind of personal usage. Maybe they'll change it...disallowing ratings until a book has actually been released kinda makes sense :)...but who knows.

Yes, it's happened to me too.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily Marissa wrote: "Actually, this isn't all that uncommon. Some people will mark books that haven't released yet with a star or two to remind themselves that they want to read it (or how much they want to read it, or..."
Thanks I'll just let this one go for now then see what happens after it's released. I don't think people pay too much attention to one stars with no review anyway. But I wonder if those people realize that is what the To Read button is for.
I'm trying my hardest not to even look at the reviews. Though I have learned some from the bad ones, I will not change certain aspects of my writing for them but the mechanics definitely can be improved on.

message 6: by Marissa (new)

Marissa Doyle | 11 comments Yup. I avoid reading reviews on GR, Amazon, and other social book sites because it's just too crazy-making.

message 7: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Giovanni | 174 comments I've actually seen this happen a few times when I hit the "to read" button. I only meant to hit "two read" and for some reason it gave a One star to a book. The issue is once you star something--accidental or not-- you have to remove the book and add it again. I did that because I didn't want the person to think I One starred them, but I wonder how many people actually notice it happened.