Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Winter horror

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 74 comments Hello, I'm looking for some horror books that have a winter theme- not a holiday theme necessarily, but something that is set in a cold, harsh environment.

The Terror by Dan Simmons and Snow by Ronald Malfi are both great examples of this; I'm just looking for more of the same basically.

message 2: by Armand (new)

Armand Rosamilia (armandrosamilia) The anthology "Undead of Winter" offers cold-themed zombie tales. I put it out, so I'm biased as to whether it is good or not.

Armand Rosamilia

Undead of Winter

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 730 comments Dan Simmons's A Winter Haunting, which is a loose sequel to Summer of Night is really good.

Also, have you ever read A Simple Plan by Scott B. Smith. Its outstanding, but more of a thriller.

message 5: by Robb (new)

Robb Bridson Yeah, I thought one of the most terrifying parts of The Shining was the winter-driving up the mountain.

message 6: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Dead of Winter by Brian Moreland

message 7: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 34 comments agree with andrew a simple plan is so good

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 74 comments I've read The Shining and A Simple Plan. I attempted to read Ghost Story, but despite all of the extremely positive reviews I've seen about it, I found it to be one of the most dry, dull books I've ever read, and I couldn't get past two chapters.

Dead of Winter is already on my TBR list, and I am adding Dead White. Keep the suggestions coming!

message 9: by Pierre (new)

Pierre | 200 comments Yesterday was the coldest winter day (even though it is still fall) here in Ottawa, Canada, in the last five years. The temperature in the morning was -29ºC or -20.2ºF and with the wind chill it felt like -40ºC or -40ºF (believe it or not), I thought it would be fun to get a discussion going on winter and deep cold themed horror books. You beat me to it. :-)
Here's a short story to add to the list:

Who goes there? by John W. Campbell, Jr. - The classic SF horror that inspired several great horror films including John Carpenter's classic The Thing.

I also enjoyed these which have already been named:
The Terror by Dan Simmons
Ghost Story by Peter Straub
The Shining by Stephen King

message 10: by Bookfan (new)

Bookfan How about At the Mountains of Madness by HP Lovecraft?

message 11: by James (new)

James Campbell (tjcams) Snow by Ronald Malfi?

I haven't read it, but the synopsis sure sounds pretty cool.

message 12: by William (new)

William (wmcc) | 41 comments Hive (Hive, #1) by Tim Curran Borealis by Ronald Malfi and Dark Matter A Ghost Story by Michelle Paver are all excellent.

message 13: by Pierre (last edited Dec 26, 2013 08:41AM) (new)

Pierre | 200 comments I created a winter-horror shelf in my profile for my convenience to keep track and for yours if you are interested.
A few more for the list:
The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket & Related Tales by Edgar Allan Poe Ice Station Zombie by J.E. Gurley
and a suggestion made for the aficionados reading in January:
Snowblind by Michael McBride

message 14: by Pierre (new)

Pierre | 200 comments Melissa wrote: "I've read The Shining and A Simple Plan. I attempted to read Ghost Story, but despite all of the extremely positive reviews I've seen about it, I found it to be one of the most dry, dull books I've..."

I agree that Ghost Story can get tedious at times. It lacks momentum and tends to be episodic. The winter storm scenes are very good but you have to shovel through a lot to get to them :-). There are much better books on this list.

message 15: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Hains | 140 comments There's a few here that I haven't read... so thanks for the tips. What I consider that "winter classics" have already been mentioned...
The Shining and Ghost Story (both are on my all-time-favorites list).

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Only thing I can think of is Koontz writes thrillers with people trapped with blizzards or snow storms sometimes, and also Thing from Another World. It's not technically winter, but they're in Antartica and you can't get much colder with much more snow

message 17: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 85 comments I'm reading The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon right now. I haven't finished yet, but judging by the early chapters, I think it qualifies.

message 18: by Pierre (new)

Pierre | 200 comments Good stuff. Every time I come across a book. I add to my winter horror shelf. In Canada, winter is all too brief. SO I am getting ready for next winter already. Only 8 months 'til Christmas! :-)

message 19: by K4tie (new)

K4tie (nonzombieleader) | 484 comments I recently picked up winter people! I haven't read it yet but I love books with winter as part if the story. I'm not sure why, well perhaps Stephen King's The Shining, but winter is synonymous with horror for me. :)

message 20: by Keith (new)

Keith Blackmore | 18 comments Stephen King's "Dream Catcher" was a winter book--I liked it (will read again).

message 21: by DJ (new)

DJ | 1 comments Although The Terror by Dan Simmons is my overall favorite novel, Dream Catcher and The Shining are wonderful reads as well. I think Blood and Ice by Robert Masello is also an excellent novel that falls right in place with all of these great suggestions as well.

message 22: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 34 comments I loved icebound

message 23: by Cuniculus (last edited Aug 01, 2015 02:53PM) (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2707 comments Pierre wrote: "Who goes there? by John W. Campbell, Jr. - The classic SF horror that inspired several great horror films including John Carpenter's classic The Thing."

Beside Campbell's original, there's also a novelization of the movie, written by Alan Dean Foster:

The Thing by Alan Dean Foster

Further winter horror:

Toybox by Al Sarrantonio

It's a collection, but at least two stories in the volume have a winter/christmas theme :).

message 24: by S.A. (new)

S.A. Softley (sasoftley) Sorry to recommend my own book, but it fits your description perfectly. If you'd like to review it I'd be happy to send you a free copy.

Ain't No Grave A Novel (The Penance of Leather #1) by S.A. Softley

It's about a man trying to survive a zombie apocalypse scenario in an isolated arctic Canadian town.

message 25: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 3 comments S.A. wrote: "Sorry to recommend my own book, but it fits your description perfectly. If you'd like to review it I'd be happy to send you a free copy.

Ain't No Grave (The Penance of Leather #1) by S.A. Softley

It's about a..."

I would love to read this, I looked to buy a copy on amazon but cant find it. Where can I get a copy?

message 26: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 3 comments Anyone know where to get a copy of Dead White? It seems that they don't print it anymore.

message 27: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I should add this to go with the Holiday Horror Books blog post I created. Give people easy access to Holiday and Winter themed books.

message 28: by S.A. (new)

S.A. Softley (sasoftley) Hi Christopher,

Here's a link to Ain't No Grave on Amazon. Thanks for the interest! It's available in both ebook and paperback formats.

http://amzn.to/1MjvRjJ

message 29: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 3 comments S.A. wrote: "Hi Christopher,

Here's a link to Ain't No Grave on Amazon. Thanks for the interest! It's available in both ebook and paperback formats.

http://amzn.to/1MjvRjJ"

Awesome, thanks so much! I don't know why I couldn't find that, I kept coming up with some poetry book. Either way I am going to buy a copy and will leave a review when I finish.

message 30: by S.A. (new)

S.A. Softley (sasoftley) Christopher wrote: "S.A. wrote: "Hi Christopher,

http://amzn.to/1MjvRjJ"

Awesome, thanks so m..."

Thanks a lot, hope you enjoy!

message 31: by William (last edited Dec 17, 2015 05:39PM) (new)

William (williemeikle) Can I plug mine here... THE DUNFIELD TERROR takes place during a winter storm in Newfoundland.

The Dunfield Terror by William Meikle

Out now in ebook and paperback from DarkFuse, and I know some of the group have already read and reviewed it....

message 32: by Randy (new)

Randy | 103 comments Dark Matter by Michelle Paver This is fantastic and takes place in the artcic. Doesn't get much colder than that, and there a great pack of dogs that play a role in the story, oh and it's damn creepy.

message 33: by Paul (new)

Paul Roberts Cosmic horror in the Canadian cold.

Psychros by Paul Roberts

Psychros (short story) Two brothers travel north to their Grandfather's winter cabin, only to discover a world threatened by an insidious invader.

message 34: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments There is now a sequel to Snowblind: Snowblind II: The Killing Grounds. Both are excellent! I can also vouch for how good Willie's The Dunfield Terror is - one of my favorites of his!

message 35: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments It's been a long time since I read it, but Tim Lebbon's White is quite good, from what I remember, and got quite a bit of acclaim when it was released.

message 36: by Rob (new)

Rob Twinem (runner56) | 197 comments I would certainly go with Snowblind and Snowblind 2 The Killing Grounds I gave both 5 star reviews listed below

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 37: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments There is a Listopia on here called "Horror Novels set largely in Winter/Snow" -

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

message 38: by John (new)

John | 22 comments I Remember You by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

Icelandic horror.

message 39: by Blight (new)

Blight (wolfcreed) Randy wrote: "Dark Matter by Michelle Paver This is fantastic and takes place in the artcic. Doesn't get much colder than that, and there a great pack of dogs that play a role in the story, oh and it's damn cr..."

I echo your review - a most excellent book! Spooky and suspenseful. I loved it!

message 40: by Marco (last edited Dec 21, 2015 05:24AM) (new)

Marco (marcofr) | -21 comments The Shuddering

Highly recommended!

30 Days of Night: Official Novelization of The Film

If you didn't see the movie, read the book. Very suspenseful.

Snowbound

This one is on my TBR pile.

message 41: by Eric (new)

Eric Compton (goodreadscomdenimandletters) | 54 comments William wrote: "Can I plug mine here... THE DUNFIELD TERROR takes place during a winter storm in Newfoundland.

The Dunfield Terror by William Meikle

Out now in ebook and paperback from DarkFuse, and I know so..."

I live in warm sunny Florida and needed SOMETHING to at least give me a teaser of cold weather in December. 'Dunfield Terror' was a fun read and the snowy isolation factor really adds to the "chill". Check it out new readers and hat's off to you for another great work William. I always enjoy your stuff and looking forward to reading 'Pentacle'.

message 42: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments I was going to make a thread for this topic, glad I searched and found this! I definitely want to read some winter horror/thriller books this upcoming season, so I'll go through these old posts and see what books people have recommended. Maybe some new replies will come, too! :)

message 43: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments Rachel I can give you some suggestions after my trial is over which should (HOPE) be over by the end of the week

message 44: by Rob (new)

Rob Twinem (runner56) | 197 comments Snowblind by Michael McBride excellent story and very cold setting!....here is my review....

message 45: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2894 comments Mod
The Final Winter by Iain Rob Wright

message 46: by James (new)

James Hartley Winter, storm, creepy stuff - its YA, though, but just in case anyone´s interested...

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view... Heart of Winter by James Hartley

message 47: by Kelly B (last edited Oct 30, 2016 01:47PM) (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 595 comments Great thread! Just in time for the colder weather coming soon.

I'll second (or third?) The Winter People, which I thought was so spooky.

My favorite winter horror novel: The Terror.

message 48: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 595 comments How could I forget this one?? I'm looking so forward to reading it! Valancourt just released:

Devil in the Darkness. I plan to start it sometime tomorrow.

Devil in the Darkness by Archie Roy

message 49: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2894 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "Great thread! Just in time for the colder weather coming soon.

I'll second (or third?) The Winter People, which I thought was so spooky.

My favorite winter horror novel: [book:Th..."

I hope we have colder, or at least cooler, weather soon. I live in AZ and it has been unbelievably warm even for us.
I like to read books with snow and ice in the winter just to get a glimpse of what I'm not missing by living on the desert. :)

message 50: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Hains | 140 comments The Boy Who Drew Monsters fits the bill pretty well as a chiller.

« previous 1