The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2013 > 25.2 - Bamaace83's Task: Christmas Memories!

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 28, 2013 03:59AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17878 comments Mod
Task 25.2 Bamaace83's Task: Christmas Memories!

Christmas is always one of my favorite times of the year. I love the smells of fresh cookies baking and the sounds of carols playing in the background. Growing up, my family had many traditions during Christmas. We always attended Christmas Midnight Mass, ate a huge breakfast afterwards, and "tried" to sleep for Santa to appear. Christmas morning consisted of fresh cinnamon rolls, hot chocolate, and family memories.

In honor of Christmas traditions, select two options from below and read one book from each.

Each book must be at least 250 pages.

NOTE: ebooks without print versions cannot be used for tasks requiring a specific number of pages. If you read an ebook or audiobook use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition.

Option 1: Midnight Mass is still a special and sacred activity for me to spend with my family. Read a book with one of these exact words found in the title, subtitle or author's name: Joseph, Mary, Jesus. Plurals, possessives, variations or alternate spellings are NOT allowed.

Option 2: It seems like Christmas carols are playing as soon as we sit down the Thanksgiving turkey. My all time favorite Christmas carol is "We wish you a merry Christmas." Read a book with a word of at least 3 letters found in this song in the title or subtitle. Here are the lyrics and another variation. Plurals, possessives, and other variations are NOT allowed.
Required: Specify the word used when you post

Option 3: I love to open presents! Even at 30, I still love the surprise and excitement that comes with sitting around the tree opening presents. Read a book with one of these exact words in the title or subtitle: Bow, Ribbon, Box, Paper, Bag, and Tape. Plurals, possessives, and other variations are NOT allowed.

Option 4: Finally, what is the holidays without food or drinks, especially in my family! Read a book with either a drink or a food item on the cover.
Required:Please post the cover.

Required: Indicate the options when you post

Optional: Have a cup of hot chocolate with your family. One never knows when this could be your last Christmas together!

message 2: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Reserved!

message 3: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Reserved!

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17878 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 5: by Susan A (new)

Susan A I would have bet serious money that the lyrics to We wish you a Merry Christmas were

"Good tidings we bring to you and your kin"

and not

"Good tidings we bring to you and your king".

However, I suppose King is much easier to find than kin!

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Susan A wrote: "I would have bet serious money that the lyrics to We wish you a Merry Christmas were

and not

However, ..."

You know, I thought the same thing!

message 7: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Nov 27, 2013 01:28PM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Susan A wrote: "I would have bet serious money that the lyrics to We wish you a Merry Christmas were

and not

However, ..."

I am betting with you because we always said "kin" I have looked at other sources for the lyrics and they were written with the word "kin" But you are right "king" is much easier to find :)

message 8: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Yeah, I think we actually said kin as well but I just did a google search for lyrics and didn't read close enough. I wonder where they use the word king. We can probably add both sets of lyrics so people could use kin, if they wanted to. Now, when I go to church Sunday, the first thing I'm going to do is find the song in the hymnal!

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7696 comments its always interesting hearing what the lyrics *are* vs what we think they are/sing

message 10: by Prajakta (last edited Nov 28, 2013 04:16AM) (new)

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1183 comments The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay for option 4?

message 12: by Natalie (new)

Natalie  | 154 comments Are cookbooks allowed for Option 4?
I'm thinking of this: The International School of Sugarcraft Book One

The International School of Sugarcraft Book One by Nicholas Lodge

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Dee wrote: "its always interesting hearing what the lyrics *are* vs what we think they are/sing"

LOL what is even funnier is when you know what the lyrics are and what people **think** they are and sing.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments bamaace83 wrote: "Yeah, I think we actually said kin as well but I just did a google search for lyrics and didn't read close enough. I wonder where they use the word king. We can probably add both sets of lyrics s..."

My mom has 4 hymnals here at her house and I just looked and I couldn't find it in there :( So I asked her and she said "ummm I think it is kin or maybe it is king" LOL thanks mom you are a lot of help

message 15: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 422 comments Will this work for option 4 drink? Falling Together by Marisa de los Santos

message 16: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Will this work for option 4 drink?

Mrs. Queen Takes the Train by William Kuhn

message 17: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Prajakta wrote: "Will These work:

Option 1: Wedlock: The True Story of the Disastrous Marriage and Remarkable Divorce of Mary Eleanor Bowes, Countess of Strathmore by Wendy Moore
"Mar..."

Both are approved! Happy reading. :)

message 18: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Elizabeth wrote: "The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay for option 4?"

Approved, looks good to me. Why would anyone want to spill ice cream though?

message 19: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Natalie wrote: "Are cookbooks allowed for Option 4?
I'm thinking of this: The International School of Sugarcraft Book One

The International School of Sugarcraft Book One by Nicholas Lodge"

Sure, I will approve this book.

message 20: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Valerie wrote: "Will this work for option 4 drink? Falling Together by Marisa de los Santos"

Approved, looks like a good book.

message 21: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Wanda wrote: "Will this work for option 4 drink?

Mrs. Queen Takes the Train by William Kuhn"

Sure, approved!

message 22: by Natalie (new)

Natalie  | 154 comments Thank you!

message 23: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 372 comments Is this book ok for option 1 - The Plot Thickens by Mary Higgins Clark
One of the authors is Mary Higgins Clark

message 24: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Skandia wrote: "Is this book ok for option 1 - The Plot Thickens by Mary Higgins Clark
One of the authors is Mary Higgins Clark"

Yes, it looks good to me. I just marked it to read as well.

message 25: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments For Option 1; I have wanted to read Frankenstein by Mary Shelley for a long time and this is the link to the actual version I will be reading but there are a number of versions and some of them are listed with less than 250 pages. I just want to make sure that is ok, if the version I am reading has enough pages?

thanks!

message 26: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Jecca wrote: "For Option 1; I have wanted to read Frankenstein by Mary Shelley for a long time and this is the link to the actual version I will be reading but there are a number of v..."

Sure, as long as your version is over 250 pages then it will work fine.

message 27: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1092 comments Option 1: From Dawn To Deceit by Terry Joseph (Joseph)

Option 2: Just One Wish by Janette Rallison (Wish)

message 28: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Claire wrote: "Option 1: From Dawn To Deceit by Terry Joseph (Joseph)

Option 2: Just One Wish by Janette Rallison (Wish)"

Both of those work! Have a Happy New Year!

message 29: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Just wondering for Option 4-could the food item be a live animal such as a sheep?

The Prophet: Amos

message 30: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Sorry, no, I think that might be stretching it a little too far.

message 31: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Would Crunch Time (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery #16) by Diane Mott Davidson work for option 4?

message 32: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 264 comments Yes, that will count as a food item.

message 33: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Thanks