GOOD REVIEWS discussion

Debut author > Free ebook for honest review

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I notice that many people have put my book on their to read shelves. I would love to offer the file for free to those of you willing to read an review. This is my debut novel and my goal is to gain readership,learn what my readers enjoy,and how I can give they what they desire in my future books. If you have forgotten what WTHL's is about you can check it out hereon GR's or: http://www.amazon.com/When-Heart-Lies...

message 2: by Sean (new)

Sean | 2 comments No! No! No! Forget about readers or how you can satisfy their desires! Look within, write from the heart. Strike a chord and you strike a chord in the heart of Everyman. More on this on my website: www.sean-walsh.me
Sincerely... Sean.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Watson (lastleaf2fall) | 10 comments Amen Sean!

message 4: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Keefer | 4 comments I'm with Sean...I write what I love and what provokes passion from within...

message 5: by Marlowe (last edited Nov 27, 2013 10:25AM) (new)

Marlowe Sr. (Ariindam Chakrabortiy) (mrmarlowe) | 4 comments Christina wrote: "I notice that many people have put my book on their to read shelves. I would love to offer the file for free to those of you willing to read an review. This is my debut novel and my goal is to gain..."

I have been thinking somewhat like you too. My paperback is costly so I can understand if people would hesitate to invest 17 or 18 bucks on an unknown author. So I plan to give them away the kindle version. The thing is, I just don't know how the readers would react to it: I have read here before about how much GR readers detest being bugged by authors.

>>No! No! No! Forget about readers or how you can satisfy their desires! Look within, write from the heart. Strike a chord and you strike a chord in the heart of Everyman.

Sean's comment is a good one but of course the reality remains that reviews from readers are what help sell books; even bad books too can get big sales figures if there are enough endorsements behind it lol! There are way too many new books coming out every day and readers are basically spoiled for choice; so it is easy for them to ignore you as 'just another indie' unless you 'do' something to get their attention!

>>Teresa wrote: "I'm with Sean...I write what I love and what provokes passion from within..."

Me too...and that is basically where my problems starts anyway. If I had written on more mainstream topics I would have been rich and famous by now (kidding)!

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 27, 2013 12:13PM) (new)

Sean wrote: "No! No! No! Forget about readers or how you can satisfy their desires! Look within, write from the heart. Strike a chord and you strike a chord in the heart of Everyman. More on this on my website:..."
I think you may have gotten the essence my comment wrong, Sean. I write completely from the heart, but also believe writers who don't listen to what their readers have to say about their stories will never grow as writers. It is impossible to know what is lacking in your own writing if you don't get feedback. What one does with that feedback would be up to them. I suppose that is why writers have have beta readers and editors. I do totally agree with your comment though, about writing from the heart. I just wanted you to know that wasn't exactly where I was coming from. And Marlowe is right on! My stories are anything but people pleasing, with many unlikable characters. But the way I figure, that's real life. I write to get those feelings we don't want to talk about out in the open so people can relate, and know they are not so different from everyone else.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 27, 2013 12:19PM) (new)

Marlowe wrote: "Christina wrote: "I notice that many people have put my book on their to read shelves. I would love to offer the file for free to those of you willing to read an review. This is my debut novel and ..."
Marlowe, I agree it's easier to make money when you are willing to simply write for the market, which I'm not. Writing s cathartic for me, so it has to be something I feel passionate about. Most often there is a great deal of myself shared in my stories.Fictionalized of course.
I don't think offering a free book would bother people if you put it on an open forum. I only do it that way. The last thing I like is when people try to sell me something in my inbox and they don't know me.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Amen Sean!"

I second that!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Teresa wrote: "I'm with Sean...I write what I love and what provokes passion from within..."

And isn't that the fun in writing and reading! I love doing both. :)