What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. young adult book from the early 90s where the mother is killed in the first chapter.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne (annex10) | 2 comments This was a book I picked up and started reading in the library in the early 90s (so It's possible that the book was written before that). I only read the first chapter, that's how horrified I was by it. I think it was a girl and her mother driving (maybe a truck, maybe it was snowing) and they got into an accident. After the accident (warning: this gets pretty gross) the girl shakes her mother's shoulders to try and wake her and her mother's head falls off and into the girl's lap. I loved reading scary books when I was young, I couldn't get enough of them, and yet I couldn't get past that first chapter...too real. Now I'm really curious about it. Unfortunately, I don't remember anything helpful like a title or author. I THINK that the cover had a lot of colors on it and maybe had a tribal mask? I might also be making that cover up in my head. Thanks so much in advance, I can't find it anywhere.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Here are a couple of horror novels w/ a mother getting killed in an accident
Witch's Fire Witch's Fire by Beverly Butler
More info:Two years ago a car accident killed Kirsty's mother and older sister, and left Kirsty confined to a wheelchair. After recuperating in Florida with her grandmother, the 13-year-old is in Wisconsin, where her father has a new job--and a new family. His wife, Rita, a divorcee, seems pleasant enough, but her nine-year-old daughter, Pam, irritates Kirsty with her chirpy manner and boundless energy. Worse, Pam has ingratiated herself with Kirsty's father, who takes the younger girl's side during altercations. The house they've all moved into is reputedly haunted, and one stormy night, Kirsty and Pam share a terrifying experience that just may be attributed to forces stronger than both of them.

Speak to the Rain
more info: When Janna Miles, 17, and her sister Karen, 9, arrive at their new home deep in the forests of Washington State, their little family is in serious trouble. Mom was killed a year ago in an accident caused by a drunk driver; Karen, who was with her, feels responsible and is chronically depressed; Dad has turned testy and taciturn, abdicating responsibility to Janna and hiding behind alcohol. With the help of new friend Kyle, Janna is coping--until she realizes that Karen's fascination with the lake in the forest and the ancient totem she finds there is linked to an unknown past tragedy. (Thanks to a prologue, readers know that the uneasy spirits belong to 57 Native Americans drowned years ago in an earthquake-precipitated flood.)

Do you remember what type of horror elements were in the book? Ghosts, witches, demons, etc?

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne (annex10) | 2 comments Thank you so much for these. I don't believe either of them are the one that I'm looking for. I really don't have anymore information than what I gave. I only read the first chapter, so I'm not actually sure what the book was about. I figured I really liked to read horror so it must have been in the horror section. I know none of this is helpful, and it's a long shot, but I figured I would see if anyone else was traumatized by this book. Thanks again for your help!

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Anne.harrigan, are you still looking for this book?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
No response in 2+ years. Moving to Abandoned.