Mr. Kovach 1st and 2nd period reading group discussion

reading questions of the week due 11-27-13

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mr. Kovach (last edited Nov 27, 2013 04:04AM) (new)

Mr. Kovach (ckovachfranklinboeorg) | 28 comments Mod
1) In Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed, why did Harry Bittering and his family move to Mars? Use textual evidence to support your answer.

2) Why did they stay there for so long?

3) A "circular plot" in a story is one where the story ends the same way it began. Describe how Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed contains a circular plot (how does it end the same way it began??).

4) See page 485 and answer the following question: What happens in the story that gives the story its title?

5) Describe the setting in this story and how this setting affects Harry Bittering. Write at least as long as the example you saw in the mini-lesson today. USE YOUR POST-ITS to help you with this! Use at least two examples of TEXTUAL EVIDENCE to support your answer, and at least TWO THOUGHT PROMPTS.

6) Is the book you are currently reading on your "currently reading" shelf?

7) Are all the books you have finished reading since September on your "read" shelf?

message 2: by Sam (last edited Nov 27, 2013 04:56AM) (new)

Sam | 46 comments 1)they moved to Mars to be safe from that atom bomb on earth. TE: " we will be safe here after the atom bomb attacks earth!"
2) they stayed there so long because the atom bomb blew up their home planet so they can't go back and don't have a rocket.
3)A group of men came to mars from earth and got good news about earth that it didnt explode, but only new york was bombed.
4)the family got very dark and had golden eyes.
TE: "his wife, lying beside him was dark from many sunny afternoons. dark she was, and golden-eyed."
5) the setting was hot and had meadows and canals, this affected all of them because it was not like earth summers. they turned very dark because of this.This makes me realize that there is a big diffrance between the two planets.
6) yes, Uglies.
7)yes

message 3: by George (last edited Nov 27, 2013 05:18AM) (new)

George | 21 comments 1)they moved to mars because of the atom bomb TE "one day the atom bomb will fix earth.Then we'll be safe here"

2)because the rocket was destroyed and they couldn't go back

3) the people that came changed into martians and the people that wanted to save them came and they would turn into martains to.

4)their eyes changes to a gold color and their skin changed XD

5) the setting was cool and descriptive it was windy but hot the platform was full of hills and dust

message 4: by Alan (last edited Nov 27, 2013 05:20AM) (new)

Alan | 15 comments 1:the reason why Harry and his family move to Mars is because Earth was soon to be attack by a atom bomb so they went to Mars to be safe from Earth.

2:the reason why they stayed so long is because staying away the atom bomb and because the space ships blew up.

3:at the end all the humans became Marsians and the war ended so humans went to rescue the humans,but they found out that all of them became marsians and the humans began to make settlement in mars.

4:all of the humans skin began to become dark and their eyes began to turn gold.
5:In the story a man named Harry and his family went to Mars to create settlement there because earth was soon about to be blow up by a atom bomb,but Harry start to wonder should they go back to Earth (TE we should go back to earth,harry said )because it is so cold and all the food they planet to survive all start to change(for example the peach tree started to change color) and also all the farm animals started to change.
and even the people started to changed because their eyes began to golden(TE harry said,sam didn't your eyes were blue and now their gold) and their skin started to become darker.
And Harry is really want to go back home .(i really think this book is interesting because talks about this science fiction story that has kind of a mystery part in it which i think is amazing)

message 5: by Mohamed (new)

Mohamed | 21 comments 1)They Moved to Mars to be safe from that atom bomb on earth. TE: " We will be safe here after the atom bomb attacks earth"!

message 6: by Ebonique (new)

Ebonique Felix | 14 comments 1.)they moved to mars to be safe from the atom bomb that was going to blow up earth
2.)the rockets got blown up so there was no way of getting back
3.)At the end new people from earth came to mars just like the Bittermans did
4.)His wife turns dark and golden eyed because she was mutating into a martian and he described her
6.)no
7.)no

message 7: by Mohamed (new)

Mohamed | 21 comments 2) They Stayed There So Long Because The Atom Bomb Blew Up Their Own Planet So They Can't Go Back And Don't Have A Rocket.

message 8: by Zyhonna (new)

Zyhonna | 23 comments 1) Because the atom bomb was going to hit hurt. TE we will be safe here after the atom bomb hits hurt
2 because the earth was getting attacked
3 harry his family and their friends all turned to martins and the other people that came to rescue them turned into martins too
4 idk
5 the setting is that they are at mars. they build a house and and they were in the house and in the barn and in the front of the house
6 yes
7 yes

message 9: by Mohamed (new)

Mohamed | 21 comments *They

message 10: by Mohamed (new)

Mohamed | 21 comments Thier Eyes Changed To A Gold Color Nd Thier Skin Changed

message 11: by Alan (new)

Alan | 15 comments 6:no

7:yes

message 12: by Drew (last edited Nov 27, 2013 05:23AM) (new)

Drew | 18 comments 1) they moved to mars to be safe. TE " we will be safe here after the atom bomb attacks earth!"
2)THEY STAYED SO LONG BECAUSE THE ATOM BLEW UP THE EARTH AND THE REST OF THE ROCKETS
3) in the begining they saved them selves and at the end the earth people came back to save them.
4)the family got dark and had golden eyes.
TE: "his wife, lying beside him was dark from many sunny afternoons. dark she was, and golden-eyed."
5)In the story a man named Harry and his family went to Mars to live there because earth was about be blow up by a atom bomb,but Harry was worried and started to wonder that they should go back to Earth because it is so hot and all the food had started to mutate. to survive all of them had too start getting away from the mutated things
and even the people started to changed because their eyes began to golden and their skin started to become darker.
i realize that all of the people are starting to change accept harry. 6)yes
7)yes

message 13: by Mohamed (new)

Mohamed | 21 comments *4.

message 14: by Cbranscomb (new)

Cbranscomb | 18 comments 1) They went to mars because they wanted to be safe from the war on earth I know this because in the text they said when the the atom bomb destroys earth they will be safe.

2)During the war on earth the rockets to pick them up were destroyed so they couldn't go back till later on.

message 15: by Deibi (last edited Nov 27, 2013 05:20AM) (new)

Deibi Tejada | 27 comments 1.They moved to mars for safety waiting for the nuclear war to end so they could go back home in the book it said they were waiting for the atom bomb to make things better.
2.They stayed there because there was an atom bomb that blew up the rockets at New york.
3.It ended the same way because at the begining they arived at mars and at the end the human soldiers arrived at mars to do what they did.
4.In the story the people on mars were turned into dark and yellow eyed martians.
5.The setting of the story was on mars were there were huge meadows,large deserts,and valleys.This setting affects Harry because as he said in the story T.E.]he felt like there was someone in the room whit him and his wife,it also said that he felt like T.E.] the martians were still up there watching from the ruins.The plants were changing T.P.in the story his peach tree was making different fruits.T.P] another reason why he thought things were changing was because the cow grew a third horn.
6.No because i finished it.
7.Yes they are.

message 16: by Cbranscomb (new)

Cbranscomb | 18 comments 3)At the end all the humans became Marsians and the war ended so humans went to rescue the humans, but they found out that all of them became Marsians and the humans began to make settlement in mars.

4)The family got very very dark and got golden eyes

6)Yes.

7)Yes.

message 17: by Andry (last edited Nov 27, 2013 05:20AM) (new)

Andry (CaptAndry) | 20 comments 1.Harryand his family moved to mars because the atom bomb was going to fix the earth from the war.
2.They stayed in mars for so long because the atom bomb destroyed the rockets leading to mars.
3.The story ended how it started because the rescue team is going to turn into martians.If they stay there to long.
4.A.What happens in the story that change the title is people eye color is changing to yellow.And there transforming
5.The setting in the story is mars a red planet with red sand.The setting in the story change Harry because all the animal change people eye color changes.Then Harry changes his eye because he's eating the animal that are transforming.Everything that the human brought flowers,cows,grass,food. Then people eat them which i think leads to them from transforming.
Finally at the end people from Earth comes and maybe if they stay there to long they too will transform.The people in mars who lived there and they where humans they change because in the story it says TE:"at any moment the Martians air might draw his soul from him,as marrow does from a white bone."People who breath the air in mar to long will change to martians.I think is that mars is coursed who ever come will change to martians.So its like the old martians coursed the planet with the planet.Made by Andry .
6.Yes,it is .
7.I have finished 4 books from september.

message 18: by Ebonique (new)

Ebonique Felix | 14 comments 5.)In the story a man named Harry and his family went to Mars to create settlement there because earth was soon about to be blow up by a atom bomb,but Harry start to wonder should they go back to Earth because it is so cold and all the food they planet to survive all start to change and also all the farm animals started to change.
and even the people started to changed because their eyes began to golden and their skin started to become darker.
And Harry is really want to go back home .

message 19: by Owami (new)

Owami | 57 comments 3.
In the beginng they saved themselves and at the end the earth people came back to rescue them

message 20: by Mohamed (new)

Mohamed | 21 comments 5) The Setting Was Hot and Had Meadows And Canals, This Affected All Of Them Because It Was Not Like Earth Summers. They Turned Very Dark Because Of This.This Makes Me Realize That There Is A Big Difference Between The Two Planets.
6) Yes
7)Yes

message 21: by Rushi (last edited Dec 05, 2013 02:42PM) (new)

Rushi Patel | 33 comments 1) Harry Bittering and his family moved to Mars because Earth was going to be blown up so they planned ahead before the planet blew up.
2) They stayed there for so long because when they go back the planet will be blown up.
3) It started by when they came to Mars and than they stay there but when they first came to Mars they wanted to go back but than they didn't care.
4) The family got very dark and had gold eyes.
5) The setting of the story was on Mars. There were huge meadows,large deserts,and valleys. This setting affects Harry because as he said in the story T.E. the room felt like there was someone in with him and his wife. T.E. The plants were changing T.P.in the story his peach tree was making different fruits.T.P] another reason why he thought things were changing was because the cow grew a third horn.
6) The book I am currently reading is on my goodreads shelf.
7) All the books I have read from September are in my good reads shelf.
<(^_._^)>
LOL!

message 22: by Owami (new)

Owami | 57 comments 1. they moved to mars to be safe from the nuclear bomb that is going to strike earth.

message 23: by Owami (new)

Owami | 57 comments 2 the earth was being attacked

message 24: by Ahmad (new)

Ahmad Mayfield | 18 comments 1:The reason why Harry and his family move to Mars is because Earth was soon to be attack by a atom bomb so they went to Mars to be safe from Earth.
2):The reason why they stayed so long is because staying away the atom bomb and because the space ships blew up.
3)at the end all the humans became Marsians and the war ended so humans went to rescue the humans,but they found out that all of them became marsians and the humans began to make settlement in mars.
4) the family got very very dark and got golden eyes.
5.the setting of the story was on mars were there were huge meadows,large deserts,and valleys.This setting affects Harry because as he said in the story he felt like there was someone in the room whit him and his wife,it also said that he felt like the martians were still up there watching from the ruins.I think he felt like this because of fear that if they were there they could kill them.
6.no because i finished it.
6) Yes.
7)Yes

message 25: by Amir (new)

Amir Lewis | 16 comments 1.Harryand his family moved to mars because the atom bomb was going to fix the earth from the war.
2.They stayed in mars for so long because the atom bomb destroyed the rockets leading to mars.
3.The story ended how it started because the rescue team is going to turn into martians.If they stay there to long.
4.A.What happens in the story that change the title is people eye color is changing to yellow.And there transforming
5.The setting in the story is mars a red planet with red sand.The setting in the story change Harry because all the animal change people eye color changes.Then Harry changes his eye because he's eating the animal that are transforming.Everything that the human brought flowers,cows,grass,food. Then people eat them which i think leads to them from transforming.
Finally at the end people from Earth comes and maybe if they stay there to long they too will transform.The people in mars who lived there and they where humans they change because in the story it says TE:"at any moment the Martians air might draw his soul from him,as marrow does from a white bone."People who breath the air in mar to long will change to martians.I think is that mars is coursed who ever come will change to martians.So its like the old martians coursed the planet with the planet.
6.Yes,it is .
7.I have finished 4 books from september.

message 26: by Owami (new)

Owami | 57 comments 4. there eyes changed to a yellow color

message 27: by Sak786 (last edited Dec 06, 2013 03:52PM) (new)

Sak786 | 20 comments 1) Harry and his family moved to Mars because Earth was under attack and an Atom Bomb war was going on.
2) Harry and is family were stuck on Mars because all the rockets on earth had blew up so no one could rescue them.
3)In the begging of the story Harry and his family were sent to rescue the humans that went to Mars before them.Then they found out that the humans before them had died. At the end of the story humans were sent to Mars to rescue the Bittering family.
4)What happened in the story that gave the story its tittle is the way the way Mr.Bittering
and Mrs.Bittering felt.TE:" Mr.bittering felt his bones shifted, shape, melted like gold. His wife lying beside him, was dark from many sunny afternoons.
6) yes the book I am current ly reading is on the currently reading shelf
7) yes my read books are on the read shelf.

message 28: by Owami (new)

Owami | 57 comments 5. the setting was hot dry and in the meadows.

message 29: by Owami (new)

Owami | 57 comments 6. yes the uglies
7. yes

message 30: by Cbranscomb (new)

Cbranscomb | 18 comments 5)The setting was hot and dry I know this because in the text it said they are on mars, this put changed Harry's mood because he did not like it there and wanted to go back home to earth but he couldn't cause there was a atom war going on this was also stated in the text. He is also scared because no one was safe intill the war was over I know this because it said in the story that once the atom bomb fixed earth meaning destroyed it they would be safe. Harry also started to realize that people were changing into Marsians even the plants were changing no one saw the difference except for his family, I know this because in the story Harry showed them the plants and they burned them but when Harry went to town and asked one of his friends if things like grass and plants were changing to him he saw the grass but didn't care and his eyes started to change yellow he asked were his grey before the friend said yes Harry said they are yellow now this is not natural. These are some things that effected
Harry's Bittering.

message 31: by Melina (new)

Melina Garcia (Garcia_x3) | 42 comments 1)they moved to Mars to be safe from that atom bomb on earth. TE: " we will be safe here after the atom bomb attacks earth!"
2) they stayed there too long because the atom bomb blew up their home planet so they can't go back and don't have a rocket.
3)A group of people came to mars from earth for good news about earth , but only new york was bombed.
4)the family was dark and had golden eyes.
5) the setting was hot and had meadows and canals, this affected all of them because it was not like earth summers. they turned very dark because of this.This makes me realize that there is a big diffrance between the two planets.
6) no it is not

message 32: by Melina (new)

Melina Garcia (Garcia_x3) | 42 comments 7) they are all on it .

message 33: by Kerrifox12 (new)

Kerrifox12 | 20 comments 1)they moved to Mars to be safe from that atom bomb on earth. TE: " we will be safe here after the atom bomb attacks earth!"
2) they stayed there so long because the atom bomb blew up their home planet so they can't go back and don't have a rocket.
3)A group of men came to mars from earth and got good news about earth that it didnt explode, but only new york was bombed.
4)the family got very dark and had golden eyes.
6) yes, gone.
7)yes