The Sword and Laser discussion

Bay Area Meet-up, Jan 20th

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1661 comments Mod
Hey everyone! As I mentioned on the podcast, we're having a meetup on January 20th (MLK Day) at Borderlands in San Francisco.

Tom will be flying up, and we'll be doing a reading from the upcoming anthology!

There will be a get-together afterwards, and we'll do some book discussion and hanging out.

My question! What time should we do this? It's a holiday, but I'm not sure how many people have work off. Is it ok to do it during the day, or would more people be able to make it later, after 5pm?

Let me know!

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex (ucbstirling) | 3 comments My vote is later--not least of which because Borderlands is a lot cozier at night.

message 3: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
I'm off that day, so I can do anytime that works best for the majority. Hurrah for Tom being able to make it as well!

message 4: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 352 comments I also have the day off, so any time is fine by me.

message 5: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments Any time would be good for me. Any other members up for drinks at the Phoenix after?

message 6: by Rasnac (new)

Rasnac | 336 comments Only if I had a TARDİS... :(

message 7: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 573 comments Later is better here too, and yes to drinks as well. good call on the Phoenix, Amnesia would be too cozy

message 8: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 573 comments I just figured out that my company does give us MLK day off, so I'm fine with whatever time we pick, It's 4 blocks from BART FYI

message 9: by Melinda (new)

Melinda | 4 comments I vote for early evening,
looking forward to the meet up!

message 10: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Mcnair | 1 comments I could be into this, evenings are preferable for me. Never been to Borderlands before...

message 11: by Bernardo (new)

Bernardo | 28 comments I am sad. I do not get that day off. I hope there will be another opportunity for a meetup with you guys in SF in the future

message 12: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Bernardo wrote: "I am sad. I do not get that day off. I hope there will be another opportunity for a meetup with you guys in SF in the future"

I'm sure there will be!

message 13: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (oliviayoungers) | 115 comments yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

message 14: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Here is the RSVP link!
https://www.goodreads.com/event/show/...

message 15: by Alison (new)

Alison | 6 comments What are the chances that I'll have my paperback anthology in time for the meet up? I could get the editors to sign it!

message 16: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Alison wrote: "What are the chances that I'll have my paperback anthology in time for the meet up? I could get the editors to sign it!"

Uhh... close to no chance.

message 17: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (oliviayoungers) | 115 comments This gives me one month to assemble all my sword and laser book club pick inspired recipes.

message 18: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Olivia wrote: "This gives me one month to assemble all my sword and laser book club pick inspired recipes."

I like the sound of that.

message 19: by Sean (new)

Sean Burke (spb273) | 71 comments Wish I didn't live in virginia lol

message 20: by Arrika (new)

Arrika Arrachne | 41 comments Any pointers on a decent hotel close to borderlands ? I won't be driving home but I also don't want to stumble around the mission area after libations.
Should I plan to cab it afterwards to someplace like market street or might the area hotels near borderlands be ok?

I gave my teen daughter my car for Christmas so i don't have a car to drive from San Jose anymore and I will be taking the train into the city then back the next day.

message 21: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 573 comments the "hotels" near borderlands are mostly SRO/transient hotels which I wouldn't recommend to anyone. I'd suggest looking at AirBnB for a room or getting in a cab and ending up downtown

message 22: by Arrika (new)

Arrika Arrachne | 41 comments Thats what i thought. Thanks Fresno Bob.

Fresno Bob wrote: "the "hotels" near borderlands are mostly SRO/transient hotels which I wouldn't recommend to anyone. I'd suggest looking at AirBnB for a room or getting in a cab and ending up downtown"

message 23: by Alison (new)

Alison | 6 comments Hmmm. I'll be BARTing it to & from the east bay. It looks only five blocks from the 16th st station, so I assume it's safe to walk that?

message 24: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 573 comments Alison wrote: "Hmmm. I'll be BARTing it to & from the east bay. It looks only five blocks from the 16th st station, so I assume it's safe to walk that?"

yep

message 25: by Arrika (new)

Arrika Arrachne | 41 comments Any pointers on where a Caltrain and Bart station are semi close to each other? Distance doesn't matter as long as its a safe-ish walk (I used to walk 4 hrs a day as my commute when I lived in Vancouver, but the transit system here is more chaotic and i'm struggling to figure it out).

message 26: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1141 comments Mod
Arrika wrote: "Any pointers on where a Caltrain and Bart station are semi close to each other? Distance doesn't matter as long as its a safe-ish walk (I used to walk 4 hrs a day as my commute when I lived in Vanc..."

The CalTrain in downtown SF is by the ballpark which is a hike to the nearest BART (15 minute walk ish), though you can walk up second or third street and it's pretty safe. I used to walk hat stretch a lot when I worked downtown. You can also get the N-Judah or T light rail near CalTrain and take those to the BART stations on Market and transfer.

Your best bet might be to plot it out on http://511.org/

message 27: by Arrika (new)

Arrika Arrachne | 41 comments Thanks Tom - that helped put it in perspective. I don't mind the walking - I just like to know I am aimed in the right direction so I don't look like a tourist.

I kinda miss long passenger commutes, it used to be where I got all my writing and reading done, I'm looking forward to bringing my notebook along and getting inspired along the way since I'm nearly done reading the Einstein Intersection.

Thanks for everyone's help navigating - its going to be great to hang out next Monday and to see how the anthology is coming along.

Cheers,
Arrika

Arrika wrote: "Any pointers on where a Caltrain and Bart station are semi close to each other? Distance doesn't matter as long as its a safe-ish walk (I used to walk 4 hrs a day as my commute when I lived in Vanc..."

message 28: by M Todd (new)

M Todd Gallowglas (mgallowglas) | 54 comments I think I might actually get to attend this. Now...off to the Build-A-Bear Workshop store to get my wife a build-a-bear "My Little Pony" as an offering when I ask her if I can go.

message 29: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 573 comments M Todd wrote: "I think I might actually get to attend this. Now...off to the Build-A-Bear Workshop store to get my wife a build-a-bear "My Little Pony" as an offering when I ask her if I can go."

Can you marry a nine year old in the US? :D

message 30: by M Todd (new)

M Todd Gallowglas (mgallowglas) | 54 comments Really? That's what you got from that? Are you unfamiliar with the term "Brony?"

message 31: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments Just realized I will be at Borderlands twice this weekend. The meet up of corse and tomorrow for a Scott Sigler signing.

message 32: by Mike (new)

Mike Higashi | 2 comments Arrika wrote: "Any pointers on where a Caltrain and Bart station are semi close to each other? Distance doesn't matter as long as its a safe-ish walk (I used to walk 4 hrs a day as my commute when I lived in Vanc..."

You can transfer directly from Caltrain to BART at the Milbrae station.

message 33: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Christopher wrote: "Just realized I will be at Borderlands twice this weekend. The meet up of corse and tomorrow for a Scott Sigler signing."

Two great reasons! How was Scott?

message 34: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments Lots of fun. Can't speak to the event as I got there an hour late but the signing and party at the phoenix with him afterwards were great.

message 35: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 573 comments The event was great, those sigler fanboys love their dark overlord!

message 36: by Jeane (new)

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 53 comments So ridiculously excited about this! I'll be coming up from Monterey! I'm bringing my daughter, the baby dragon from the video show, so I can't wait!

message 37: by M Todd (new)

M Todd Gallowglas (mgallowglas) | 54 comments Turns out the Monday Terror Gods have smiled on me. I will be in attendance.

message 38: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 352 comments Looking forward to it! I'll even bring along a book review song, in case anyone wants to hear that kind of thing.

message 39: by Alex (new)

Alex (ucbstirling) | 3 comments Sky wrote: "Looking forward to it! I'll even bring along a book review song, in case anyone wants to hear that kind of thing."

Is that a song about book reviews, or a review that's expressed in song? I mean, I want to hear it in either case, but... for science.

message 40: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments Hey guys. The event was a lot of fun. Thank you.
Sorry I didn't actually work up the social nerve to speak to anyone.

message 41: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 573 comments good fun here, I very much enjoyed the GG Bridge story. Thanks to V and T for showing up and going for drinks, and thanks to Borderlands for being its delightful self! Lets do it again in a couple of months (but before Veronica's globe circling convention schedule!)

message 42: by Melisa (new)

Melisa | 7 comments Thanks to Tom and Veronica for the fun event!

message 43: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments Agreed, maybe i will actually speak to people I didn't bring with me next time.

message 44: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 352 comments Thanks for hosting the event, it was a blast! Plus, I picked up one of the numbered editions of The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle: The Dark of Deep Below which I'll need to get signed again by Rothfuss... and probably Sanderson, the next time he's in town.

message 45: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (last edited Jan 21, 2014 06:47AM) (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
It was excellent fun! May it happen again!

And here's Veronica's pic of us Swords & Lasers being audience-y, in case you missed it on Twitter:

message 46: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 25 comments What a wonderful event! Thanks to the fellow who read his story (I've forgotten your name) and Sky for his "singing book review", Borderlands Bookstore, and most especially to Tom and Veronica. I had a great time.

message 47: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6696 comments Mod
I missed sky singing his Dresden song live. :-(

message 48: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 352 comments Rob wrote: "I missed sky singing his Dresden song live. :-("

It was pretty epic when everyone joined in at the end of the chorus. I'm not saying that you missed a once-in-a-lifetime moment or anything... but I'm thinking it. Really, really loudly.

I'll get the whole shebang recorded this weekend, so the full song will be posted soon. Also, I won't be singing it in front of a room full of people I don't know, which may or may not have any bearing on how terrified I sound.

message 49: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6696 comments Mod
Actually they posted it on the site/soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/swordandlaser/...

It's just not the same thing as being there to experience it though..

message 50: by Alison (new)

Alison | 6 comments don't know of everyone was aware, but Patrick rothfuss will be at borderlands this Monday at seven. see you there!

« previous 1