Outlander (Outlander, #1) Outlander discussion

The ghost?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

OutlanderDiana Gabaldon

Who is the "ghost" that Frank bumps into in the beginning of Outlander? Is it Jamie somehow projecting himself into Claire's past? Is this answered somewhere in the book and I just haven't realized?
----------------
Diana Gabaldon answers this question in her FAQ...

Who is the ghost in Outlander? (SPOILER)

The ghost is Jamie--but as for how it fits into the story, All Will Be Explained--in King, Farewell which is Book Five {running and ducking}

But, this answer seems a bit old since the fifth book is not called King, Farewell... And it seems as if she decided not to address the ghost in The Fiery Cross.

Thoughts?

Antoinette Yes,---of course, the ghost is Jamie. He became the most important person in Claire's life, so much so and with such vitality that he followed her into the future,---VERY SEXY !!!

message 3: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee there is a scene in either book 6 or 7 (I think) where jamie talks about seeing claire in the lamplight of that scene...before one of the battles maybe

Abby It's Jamie...she explains in another book.

Ashley I havent gotten to the part in book 5 where she explains it, but ever since I read that part I was convinced it was Jamie.. Just love him!

Lindis Russell I am only on Dragonfly in Amber, but I thought that it was Jamie. Gotta Love Jamie. Mmmmmmm!

Michelle Nelson All of the books are great enough to read again and again!

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann This is the best series I have ever read. I read them one after another. Diana Gabaldon is such a good writer, that after you read the last page of one book,then open the first page of the next book, it is seamless. I am ready to read them again they were so wonderful.

Elayne I've never come across the answer to this question! Always wanted to know, got a bit worried and saddened with the characters getting older with no happy ending in sight!

message 10: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann I'm hoping that Diana will write one more book to complete the circle.

Elayne Ann wrote: "I'm hoping that Diana will write one more book to complete the circle."

me too!!!

message 12: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Elayne wrote: "Ann wrote: "I'm hoping that Diana will write one more book to complete the circle."

me too!!!"

I'm with you Elayne!!! I just downloaded all the books again so I think I'll start reading them again this summer.

message 13: by Thom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thom Swennes Do you really think Diana can do that circle completing with just one more book? I really doubt it.

Holly Blankenship Ann wrote: "I'm hoping that Diana will write one more book to complete the circle."

Better question is life really a circle that can be completed?

message 15: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Complete their circle of life together. Not their family's. Who knows if life is a circle, it depends on how old you are. We start off life small and helpless, and if you live to a ripe old age you can lose height and be helpless. Oh, my God. How depressing. So much for philosophying!!!! I think that I will leave that alone!

Samantha Garman Elayne wrote: "I've never come across the answer to this question! Always wanted to know, got a bit worried and saddened with the characters getting older with no happy ending in sight!"

They got older and flatter. They weren't the same Jamie and Claire in the last book!

Elayne Was feeling anxious for them!

Amy Nielsen How am I not remembering this part of book 1?

Elayne When Frank returned to there boarding house one night, he saw Claire brushing her hair at the window in their room...when he went to enter the building there was a large Highlander standing in his way and appearing to be looking up at Claire, when this apparition moved away he seemed to be unaffected by any movement in the wind. Its quite a few years since I read this book but thats what I seem to remember about it. Hope I'm not wrong and that it helps you Amy

Donna Ann wrote: "I'm hoping that Diana will write one more book to complete the circle."

Book 8 is being written ... bet there will be a book 9 too!

Donna Michelle wrote: "All of the books are great enough to read again and again!"

They are also great books to listen too --- Davina Porter is fabulous!

HeatherJay In book 6 or 7 it is revealed that Jamie has visions from the future in his dreams. He eventually sees his grand-son in the 1960's(whom he has met, but I'll try not to spoil anything more for those who haven't gotten that far).I'm not sure if visions is the appropriate word as he obviously appears in that time as well. Hoping Diana Gabaldon expands on this more in the future books.

Bonnie Carruth Orson Welles said that having a happy ending depends on "how you cut the film". Or where you end the book.

Elayne mmm yes! some things go on too long! I couldn't take any more after book 5. I'm sure it started out as a trilogy!

Nancy Boone The "ghost" was definitely Jamie. I have loved each and everyone of Gabaldon's books. The progression thru the life of Jamie and Claire is excellent. It is always hard for me to wait for the next book.

Christine Bax I'm only on book three- Voyager and I love these books. I can't remember a series I have enjoyed so much.

Karen I am going out on a limb here to guess that at the end of the series there will be a parting between Jamie and Clare, due to death. Jamie has, after all, lived most of the lives the French fortune-teller predicted for him. I think the happy ending will be that they know that his ghost will go into the future looking for Clare, and that he will find her. Perhaps more than once. Just a guess.

Tanya in book 7 or 8, Jamie is telling Claire about a dream he has about her; sitting in a window brushing her hair with light that's not candle light. The goast is him in his dream.

Lananorris I have gotten so caught up in these characters and their lives that the thought of no more Jaimie and Claire just depresses me. If Gabaldon is preparing Roger and Brianna to pick up the mantle it just won't work. They are likeable enough, but only as appendages to J and C. They can't stand alone.
As I'm reading the last 2 books I keep forgetting that J and C are really older, their lives and their love is so vital. But really, I am 48 and I know I don't have the where-with-all to survive the challenges they face on a daily basis! But it does remind me that romance and passion don't have to age just because we do.

Donna Tanya wrote: "in book 7 or 8, Jamie is telling Claire about a dream he has about her; sitting in a window brushing her hair with light that's not candle light. The goast is him in his dream."

It was neither, especially book 8 for herself has not competed writing that book yet. It is in Chap 68 of A Breath of Snow and Ashes : "Ye were sitting at a desk, with something in your hand, maybe writing. And there was light all round ye, shining on your face, on your hair. But it wasna candlelight, nor yet firelight or sunlight. And I recall thinking to myself as I saw ye, Oh, so that's what electric light is like."

LilaBird I'm glad you posted the excerpt -- I love how those scenes tie together when they occur books apart. This is my favorite series EVER. Jamie and Claire are amazing. What a breathtaking romance.

Hannah Like that was the future before all the other stuff happened, but it was his past when she was there, but Claire hasn't actually met him yet... it was like my favorite part of the book...well one of them :D I like the strange time thinking you have to do to actually grasp at some of the stuff...

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Outlander (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Diana Gabaldon (other topics)