What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Weapon
This topic is about The Weapon
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED - sci-fi, earth VS colony war, special forces fight on earth [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (last edited Dec 02, 2013 06:41AM) (new)

Jeff | 4 comments This book is relatively new; at least, I read it in the last 10 years...

The book describes a war between earth and a relatively small but wealthy colony. The colony foresaw the coming war and trained "space special forces" that ultimately space-dropped onto earth and fought a guerrilla conflict. Earth eventually sues for peace.

The "space special forces" do things like "space drop" in vacuum suits for several days to assault a capitol ship during a training exercise. During their war on earth, they use the megapolis to their advantage, turning super-skyscrapers into deathtraps by starting fires in the lower levels and opening vents in the top levels, or by poisoning the water supply, etc. etc. The end result is that a few hundred of these special forces troops kill millions of civilians.

When recalled by their home system, most of the special forces choose to instead drift off into anonymity and refuse to return home. One of the final lines in the books is something like: "...we just killed over a billion people, don't try to follow us or find us, a few hundred more won't matter..."

A secondary plot-line involves the special forces commander and one of the other officers having a child during the war; breaking the fraternization rule and ultimately dividing the loyalty of the commander between "prosecute the war effort" and "protect my child".

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35755 comments Mod
A guess - Moonstruck by Susan Grant? Moonstruck (Borderlands, #1) by Susan Grant

When did you read this book?

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 4 comments I read it after 2006, probably 2007-2008. It was a hardcover, and it seemed new-ish at the time.

Of course, I loaned it out before I added the author\title to the database I keep, and then never got it back...

message 4: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 4 comments Oh, and sorry, it wasn't Moonstruck.

message 6: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 4 comments That's it! Thank you very much!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Weapon (other topics)
Moonstruck (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Susan Grant (other topics)