English Mysteries Club discussion

Frost at Christmas (Inspector Frost, #1)
This topic is about Frost at Christmas
Book of the Month pre-2020 > December 2013 - Frost At Christmas

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 146 comments Library didn't have it but I was able to get a copy from Paperback Swap. Happy day!

Leslie | 1663 comments Just requested this by interlibrary loan.

message 3: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen (raven51) Just got my copy from the library ... :)

Susan | 606 comments Finished it. Loved it. Will talk on the 15th.

message 5: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay | 218 comments My library doesn't have any Wingfield books and Amazon doesn't seem to either. Alibris has a lot but they are mass paperback. Is that the small books that are difficult to hold open? Any suggestions?

Susan | 606 comments When I clicked Jean-Luke's link I was surprised to notice the hardcover version of this book was $45. Wow!
I bought one of the 1 cent used copies, Kay, and it was fine. It's just a regular one. I loved this book so much I have bought others in the series.

message 7: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay | 218 comments Thanks to both Jean-Luke and Susan. I just ordered the book for 1cent from Amazon.

Susan | 606 comments I watched the episode of Frost based on the book. It was good but had a completely different ending. I can't wait until the 15th.

Leslie | 1663 comments I finished this -- can't wait to see what people have to say about Jack Frost's character!

message 10: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay | 218 comments I should get the book tomorrow. Anxious to read and discuss it.

message 11: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary Vassallo | 6 comments I've read it too and am also keen to discuss. Agree that a lot of discussion is likely to surround the characters, especially Frost. Looking forward to the 15th.

message 12: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen (raven51) I started the book and got in about 14 pages. I just really, really don't like it. So many liked it, I felt sure I would really enjoy the book too. Sitting this one out. See you in January. :)

Leslie | 1663 comments Mary Ellen wrote: "I started the book and got in about 14 pages. I just really, really don't like it. So many liked it, I felt sure I would really enjoy the book too. Sitting this one out. See you in January. :)"

Mary Ellen - I had a similar reaction to the beginning but it does improve. I would urge you to read at least the first few chapters...

message 14: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen (raven51) Leslie wrote: " I had a similar reaction to the beginning but it does improve. I would urge you to read at least the first few chapters... "
I already returned it to the library. I may give it a try later. I'm looking forward to the discussion. Maybe seeing everyone's comments will help me enjoy it the next time I pick it up. However, reading ahead in bits and pieces didn't really encourage me to continue. :(

message 15: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 96 comments What was it about the book you didn't like, Mary Ellen?

message 16: by C.J. (new)

C.J. (cjverburg) | 232 comments Mary Ellen, you might enjoy the book(s) more if you watch the TV series first (A Touch of Frost). David Jason is such a kind, funny actor that he rasps away those piggy rough edges that for me made the book a challenge to get into. Once I did get into it, I couldn't put it down!

message 17: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay | 218 comments The book that I ordered still hasn't arrived . Wish my library had this.

message 18: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay | 218 comments I hadn't thought of the library having them. I'll have to check on that.

Leslie | 1663 comments Carol wrote: "Mary Ellen, you might enjoy the book(s) more if you watch the TV series first (A Touch of Frost). David Jason is such a kind, funny actor that he rasps away those piggy rough edges that for me made..."

I agree that the TV character was toned down from the book -- perhaps that is why Frost's crudeness shocked me so much in the beginning of the book. I found it quite distasteful and almost abandoned this book. However, I am glad I persevered! The language toned down some and other aspects of Frost appear, making him more interesting.

Now that I have finished, I think it was clever for Wingfield to frame the book this way - it forces the reader to side with Barnard, who in an ordinary way would be disliked for his snobby attitude & ambition. In the end, I liked both men more than I would have thought possible in the beginning. Barnard showed some humility & Frost is revealed as using his vulgarity as a shield.

Leaving aside the characters, I thought that the mystery plot was very clever.

Susan | 606 comments I had not seen any Frost shows until I read this book. I was shocked the show changed the ending so drastically from the book. I felt the book's ending was more realistic. Frost's crudeness did not bother me in the least. Kanye West bothers me a great deal more. It was heart breaking to discover his true relationship with his wife. I was surprised that I cam to like Barnard. I enjoyed this book that I ordered the next one in the series.

message 21: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary Vassallo | 6 comments I really enjoyed this book. I liked both Frost and Barnard. I thought the intertwining if the case was very clever. I look forward to reading more in the series.

Madonna | 5 comments A delightful read for me. Thanks for introducing me to this series. I, too, liked the mystery--I'll admit I didn't try to figure it out, just set back and let Barnard and Frost take me along.
I also enjoyed the "supporting" characters. Most of them were great foils for the main characters--especially the upper level policemen.
I thoroughly enjoyed Wingfield's writing. Some clever comments that made me laugh out loud while reading; other lines made me stop and think before I "got" it. Other lines were things of beauty--such as "A lurking wind suddenly spotted him and pounced..." and when those types of sentences came along I'd read them twice and sometimes once more. Usually I don't come across such poetic lines; maybe I need to read some other authors.
I, too, Susan, have ordered the next book in the series since I enjoyed this one so much.

Diane I'm still waiting for my library to borrow a copy so I can borrow it. I can't wait to read it since the opinions have been so divergent. I hope I get it before December is over.

message 24: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay | 218 comments I ordered the book through Amazon and still haven't received it.

message 25: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen (raven51) It's interesting seeing the different comments so far. I may pick the book up again ... Since you asked, when I first began reading it I was really disappointed because it didn't seem like what the summary of the book described. It seemed more like the beginning of a romance novel and I couldn't really see a good mystery developing from that. I'm really not offended by vulgarity, but the book seemed so packed with bickering and the kind of excessive crudeness that you find in a poor movie that's aiming for an "R" rating to draw in viewers, and those types of books and movies are just wasted hours for me, so that's why the book turned me off so much.
Reading the comments, it seems the book really does deliver what it promises, so you may have talked me into reading it after all. :)

Diane Leslie wrote: "Carol wrote: "Mary Ellen, you might enjoy the book(s) more if you watch the TV series first (A Touch of Frost). David Jason is such a kind, funny actor that he rasps away those piggy rough edges th..."
I just got my copy from the library and discovered that I had reserved the dvd by mistake. I have watched it and really liked it but from comments here, the book is a bit different. I've requested the book and will see when I get it.

Diane Leslie wrote: "Carol wrote: "Mary Ellen, you might enjoy the book(s) more if you watch the TV series first (A Touch of Frost). David Jason is such a kind, funny actor that he rasps away those piggy rough edges th..."
I just got my copy from the library and discovered that I had reserved the dvd by mistake. I have watched it and really liked it but from comments here, the book is a bit different. I've requested the book and will see when I get it.

message 28: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay | 218 comments I finally got my copy and read it yesterday. I really liked it. It was a good mystery and also funny. Just what I needed after the Christmas rush. I like Jack Frost because he is different. He cuts corners, makes mistakes and is a total slob. Very different from most British detectives. He eventually gets the job done. I also like that he he gives credit to others.

Susan | 606 comments I agree with you, Kay. I found him very amusing.

message 30: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) I'll have to read this maybe later in January.

Valerie Brown I also enjoyed this book a lot, so much so that I am working my way through the series!

Diane Kay wrote: "I finally got my copy and read it yesterday. I really liked it. It was a good mystery and also funny. Just what I needed after the Christmas rush. I like Jack Frost because he is different. He cuts..."
I'm too late for the discussion but still wanted to say that I agree with you Kay. Good mystery with humor, what more could you want? I loved the way the guys made fun of the Clive's suit by just mentioning the price to everyone and Frost hiding his car around the corner when he finds out whose car he ran into.
The only negative was the disturbing attitude about the exploitation of young girls. Fortunately we have come a long way since this was published.