The Lord of the Rings The Lord of the Rings question

Had Sauron Ever Spoken?
Sakthidharan Sakthidharan Nov 26, 2013 07:29AM
In the whole of LOTR I couldn't recall any place where Sauron had spoken. It is a book of huge proportions and the tense of fear for the dark lord is almost omnipresent, all this achieved without anything spoken by the dark lord; this seems to be a unique and silent achievement that LOTR has made.
Dark lord was not in his material form and it was only his spirit which haunted the middle earth.
Does anyone recall any sentence/phrase that the dark lord spoke for himself?

Elentarri (last edited Nov 27, 2013 02:21AM ) Nov 26, 2013 10:16PM   0 votes
I think he gets talking parts in "the History of Middle Earth" series and maybe in "the Children of Hurin"?

Edit: Doesn't Sauron have a talking part in the tale of Beren and Luthien, when Beren and Finrod are stuck in his dungeon?

Sakthidharan wrote: "In the whole of LOTR I couldn't recall any place where Sauron had spoken. It is a book of huge proportions and the tense of fear for the dark lord is almost omnipresent, all this achieved without a..."

Nope, not in the LOTR series, no. In the Silmarillion, he isn't quoted as saying as anything, but there are mentions are him speaking to people before the destruction of Numenor, at which point he went from being beautiful to behold to the dark and twisted image he had in LOTR.

After turning hideous, talking really wasn't his thing ;)

In LOTR he talks to Pippin through the Palantír, thinking its Saruman.

M 25x33
Erick Critsinelis You guess right, The Two Towers, Chapter The Palantír, about seven pages in; though its actually Pippin describing the scene, but he uses Sauron´s exa ...more
Nov 27, 2013 11:26PM · flag
Sakthidharan great, thanks Erick, will check it out
Nov 28, 2013 01:23AM · flag

Less is always more, they say.

He could`ve blinked.

In the Silmarillion yes. In LOTR, I can't recall any.