Robert Coover's Fable Land discussion

Crazzy Coover Completionismus

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan "N.R." (last edited Nov 26, 2013 08:16AM) (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 193 comments Counting ::

Jonathan
Amy
Myself

To read the complete works of Robert Coover. In/by 2014. Or maybe whenever we get around to it.

Supplementing and linking to/with the Completists' Club :: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 70 comments I'm shooting for completionism in 2015.

Right now I'm slogging through "The Public Burning." Gotta say, with only this tome as an indication, I can say that I'm more of fan of Coover's short forms.

message 3: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 193 comments I got distracted this year ; but have a full 365 to knock out my remaining half-dozen Coovers.

His shorts do differ rather largely from his longs. But each long also differs quite well from each other long. Keep us posted.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 70 comments Arrrgh. Completionism not to happen this year, I fear.

Well, I'll go for 2016.

message 5: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 193 comments Amy wrote: "Arrrgh. Completionism not to happen this year, I fear.
Well, I'll go for 2016."

How did The Public Burning work out for you?

I think I should be able to completionize by year's end ; have only John's Wife and Pinocchio outstanding.

message 6: by Amy (last edited Oct 16, 2015 04:39PM) (new)

Amy | 70 comments Loved The Public Burning; it took me a while to read it, though. :D

Pinocchio seems like a good "next" Coover for me, in terms of length.

What's left: John's Wife, Pinocchio, Gerald's Party, Brunists (both books), Lucky Pierre.

Probably also a few random short stories here and there.

ETA on Sept. 10!: Oh, and Hair o' the Chine.

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian | 12 comments I long to join the illustrious list of Crazzy Completionists - though I am far behind. I am roughly half way through Wrath (loving it, taking it sloooow) and am pondering my next Coover.

Any suggestions?

message 8: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 193 comments Brian wrote: "Any suggestions? "

With Amy and I, perhaps the three of us could knock out Pinocchio before the end of the year. I intend to first read the Collodi Pinocchio, but perhaps not view the Disney. Otherwise, I'd suggest picking up any of his little novellas, which are pretty much all a Blast!

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 70 comments Nathan "N.R." wrote: "Brian wrote: "Any suggestions? "

With Amy and I, perhaps the three of us could knock out Pinocchio before the end of the year. I intend to first read the Collodi Pinocchio, but perhaps not view t..."

I love the Collodi Pinocchio!

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian | 12 comments Nathan "N.R." wrote: "Brian wrote: "Any suggestions? "

With Amy and I, perhaps the three of us could knock out Pinocchio before the end of the year. I intend to first read the Collodi Pinocchio, but perhaps not view t..."

I like this idea a lot - I will aim to read Collodi first and then on to Coover's (after I have finished Wrath, of course). I will check here on GR to see your / Amy's updates.

message 11: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 193 comments With John's Wife I've earned my Crazzzy Coooover Compleeetioinism badge. Well worth it. Nary a page of wasted reading. Can't wait for his next novel!!!

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 70 comments Congratulations!

With Coover, you never know; it might be another 20-40 years, hehe.

Still anxiously awaiting the In Bed at Night and Other Encounters update story collection (if it's happening).

message 13: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 193 comments Amy wrote: "Still anxiously awaiting the In Bed at Night and Other Encounters update story collection (if it's happening)."

Me too. I don't know anything at all about its status, but in my optimism I hope that Coover delayed it so that when it does get published it will also include all this recent spat of stories getting pub'd in the new yorker and elsewhere. Or maybe reconceived altogether as a Complete Coover Shorts kind of thing. Fingers crossed.

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (nathandjoe) | 7 comments What was your favourite of his? (And congratulations!)

message 15: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 193 comments Jonathan wrote: "What was your favourite of his? (And congratulations!)"

Setting aside my demurring about identifying favorites ; one from each of my four categories :: Brunist Day of Wrath, probably Ghost Town (although maybe Pricksongs as being my first Coover), John's Wife (maybe?), and The Public Burning. But don't hold me to them!

message 16: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (nathandjoe) | 7 comments Thanks - I have those and more of his sat staring at me on my self and will certainly be reading them next year