Dactyl Review discussion

Gardens, et cetera (per request)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Henry (new)

Henry Martin (henrymartin) | 51 comments Mod
Per Lilo's request, let's move the non-book stuff here.

message 2: by Lilo (last edited Nov 26, 2013 04:58PM) (new)

Lilo (liloh-p) | 17 comments Thank you, Henry.

To start out with, I don't have much to report for this past season. Most of our veggies died this year, when we were away for 3 weeks and there was something wrong with the irrigation.

In 2012, however, we had a nice garden. Amongst other veggies, we had tons of tomatoes. Many of them were grown in containers to be moved into the sun room at the end of the season. They thrived until about Christmas. Then, however, I was very sick (flu, bronchitis), and my dear, sweet husband, who has no green thumb, first let them dry out, then overwatered them and let them stand in the water. This killed most of them; only two small plants survived until -- I believe -- Easter.

When growing tomatoes in containers, it is a MUST to line the containers with bubble wrap to avoid the soil from overheating.

If you don't have a sun room, you might try on a kitchen window.

Very important: You can only use INDETERMINATE tomatoes for winter growing. Determinate ones will produce a bumper crop and then quit.

I wanted to have tomatoes this winter, again, but all plants had died when we returned from our trip, and there were no longer any in the stores. We also won't be having Belgian Endive, this winter.

In 2012, we had grown Belgian Endive (as I also had done decades ago, in Germany). It requires next to nothing care, being able to crowd out most weeds by itself. In fall, the roots are dug, the leaves are cut down to 1 inch, and the roots are placed in buckets (with holes in the bottom) containing a peat/sand mix. (You can find detailed instructions in the internet.) The buckets are put into a cold, dark room (basement or root cellar), or if such is not available, covered to shield from light, into a cool garage. The buckets need slight watering no more than once a month.

Starting December, one bucket at a time is moved to a warmer place (but still shielded from light!), like a furnace room. Then the roots will start growing, producing the pale sprouts, which make for an excellent salad. They can be cut three times.
Forced Belgian Endive is said to keep growing until Easter, yet ours lasted longer. We harvested until mid of July.

We found Belgian Endive to be the most rewarding of all vegetables to be grown. It not only makes a delicious salad but can also be cooked like asparagus and tastes similar.

message 3: by Lilo (last edited Nov 26, 2013 05:13PM) (new)

Lilo (liloh-p) | 17 comments P.S. You have to grow the Belgian Endive (also called Witloof or Witlof Endive) plants yourself from seed. You won't find them in stores. You occasionally find the seeds in stores, but they can always be found in the internet.

message 4: by Lilo (new)

Lilo (liloh-p) | 17 comments Correction: You can, of course, not grow tomatoes on a kitchen window but only on a kitchen window sill. I tried to edit, but the system wouldn't let me.