Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > 2013 Choice Awards List - Preliminary

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Nov 26, 2013 06:31AM) (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
Below is 2013's Choice Awards List. The winners will become this group's monthly reads and along with the rest of the nominees will go towards the group's yearly challenge.

Let us know your thoughts on the books you've read.

Fiction
Winner - TBA

The Rosie Project
The Husband's Secret
Tenth of December
Orphan Train
The Goldfinch
The House Girl
A Tale for the Time Being
And the Mountains Echoed
The Storyteller
Me Before You

Mystery & Thriller
Winner - TBA

Inferno
The Cuckoo's Calling
Joyland
Police: A Harry Hole Novel
Speaking from Among the Bones (Flavia de Luce #5)
Night Film
Reconstructing Amelia
Calculated in Death (In death #36)
Six Years
How the Light Gets In (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #9)

Historical Fiction
Winner - TBA

Life After Life
The Aviator's Wife
Necessary Lies
The White Princess (The Cousin's War #5)
The Painted Girls
The Luminaries
The Signature of All Things
The Valley of Amazement
Burial Rites
Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald

Fantasy
Winner - TBA

The River of No Return
Emperor of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #3)
The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)
Blood of Dragons (Rain Wild Chronicles, #4)
The Ocean at the End of the Lane
The Ghost Bride
The Golem and the Jinni
Forged in Blood I (The Emperor's Edge, #6)
A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, #14)
The Firebird (Slains, #2)

Paranormal Fantasy
Winner - TBA

Written in Red (The Others, #1)
Ever After (The Hollows, #11)
Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #6)
Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson #5)
Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #22)
The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1)
Cold Days (The Dresden Files, #14
Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)
Omens (Cainsville, #1)

Science Fiction
Winner - TBA

MaddAddam (MaddAddam Trilogy #3)
The Lives of Tao
Earth Afire (The First Formic War, #2)
The Human Division (Old Man's War, #5)
Dust (Silo, #3)
Abaddon's Gate (Expanse, #3)
Countdown City (The Last Policeman, #2)
Lexicon
The Humans
Great North Road

Romance
Winner - TBA

Reckless (Thoughtless, #3)
Entwined with You (Crossfire, #3)
Lover At Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11)
Beneath This Man (This Man, #2)
Fallen Too Far
Beautiful Bastard
Losing Hope (Hopeless, #2)
Ten Tiny Breaths
Wait for You
Walking Disaster (Beautiful, #2)

Horror
Winner - TBA

Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas, #6)
White Trash Zombie Apocalypse (White Trash Zombie, #3)
The Fate of Mercy Alban
The Blood Gospel
Help for the Haunted
Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2)
Red Hill
Parasite
The Resurrectionist: The Lost Work of Dr. Spencer Black
NOS4A2

Memoir & Autobiography
Winner - TBA

Mom & Me & Mom
Until I Say Goodbye: A Book about Living
Happy, Happy, Happy
Waiting to Be Heard: A Memoir
Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape
A House in the Sky
I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed
The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism
The World's Strongest Librarian: A Memoir of Tourette's, Faith, Strength, and the Power of Family

History & Biography
Winner - TBA

Jim Henson: The Biography
Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune
One Summer: America, 1927
Frozen in Time: An Epic Story of Survival and a Modern Quest for Lost Heroes of World War II
The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics
Eighty Days: Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland's History-Making Race Around the World
Dirty Wars: The World is a Battlefield
Manson: The Life and Times of Charles Manson
The Girls of Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War II
The Guns at Last Light: The War in Western Europe, 1944-1945 (World War II Liberation Trilogy, #3)

Nonfiction
Winner - TBA

David and Goliath
Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital
American Savage: Insights, Slights, and Fights on Faith, Sex, Love, and Politics
Contagious: Why Things Catch On
Detroit: An American Autopsy
Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal
Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief
Bad Pharma: How Drug Companies Mislead Doctors and Harm Patients
The Autistic Brain: Thinking Across the Spectrum

Food & Cookbooks
Winner - TBA

Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation
Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist
The Drunken Botanist: The Plants That Create the World's Great Drinks
Relish: My Life in the Kitchen
The Fast Diet: The Simple Secret of Intermittent Fasting: Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer
Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health
Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us
Bread & Wine: A Love Letter to Life Around the Table, with Recipes
The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays
Moosewood Restaurant Favorites: The 250 Most-Requested, Naturally Delicious Recipes from One of America's Best-Loved Restaurants

Humour
Winner - TBA

Si-cology 1: Tales and Wisdom from Duck Dynasty’s Favorite Uncle
Wallbanger
William Shakespeare's Star Wars
Dad Is Fat
Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls
Bad Monkey
Still Foolin' 'Em: Where I've Been, Where I'm Going, and Where the Hell Are My Keys
Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened
My Dog: The Paradox: A Lovable Discourse about Man's Best Friend
Vader's Little Princess

Graphic Novels & Comics
Winner - TBA

Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices: Manga, #2)
Fables, Vol. 18: Cubs in Toyland
The Walking Dead, Vol. 18: What Comes After
Calling Dr. Laura: A Graphic Memoir
Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 1
Batman, Vol. 2: The City of Owls
Kick-Ass 2
Hawkeye, Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon
Beautiful Creatures: The Manga
Saga, Volume 2

Poetry
Winner - TBA

Love, Dishonor, Marry, Die, Cherish, Perish
Aimless Love: New and Selected Poems
The Anatomy of Being
Dog Songs
The World Will Follow Joy: Turning Madness into Flowers
Egghead: Or, You Can't Survive on Ideas Alone
Survival Songs
i will never be beautiful enough to make us beautiful together
Love & Misadventure
The Fall of Arthur

Debut Goodreads Author
Winner - TBA

Taken
Splintered
The Golem and the Jinni
Promise of Blood
The Madman's Daughter
Tangled
The House Girl
Real
Altered
If You Find Me

Young Adult Fiction
Winner - TBA

Just One Day
Perfect Scoundrels (Heist Society, #3)
Fangirl
Eleanor & Park
United We Spy (Gallagher Girls, #6)
Out of the Easy
Two Boys Kissing
Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2)
The Moon and More
Ali's Pretty Little Lies (Pretty Little Liars, #0.5)

Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction
Winner - TBA

Allegiant (Divergent, #3)
The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines, #3)
Prodigy (Legend, #2)
Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
Opal (Lux, #3)
Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3)
Steelheart
The 5th Wave
The Elite

Middle Grade & Children
Winner - TBA

The Sun Trail (Warriors: Dawn of the Clans, #1)
Doll Bones
The Enchantress Returns (The Land of Stories, #2)
The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2)
Counting by 7s
Fyre (Septimus Heap, #7)
Fortunately, the Milk
Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library
The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4)
Dork Diaries 6: Tales from a Not-So-Happy Heartbreaker

Picture Books
Winner - TBA

Flora and the Flamingo
Chu's Day
The Day the Crayons Quit
Journey
My Brother's Book
Count the Monkeys
The Dark
Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great
That Is Not a Good Idea!
A Little Book of Sloth

(For reference, if you want to look back at last year's list you can find it here https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... )

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Nov 26, 2013 06:28AM) (new)

Kristie | 5948 comments Mod
Woah! Look at you go! Thanks for doing this again. :) I love that you added the series name & number after each book. That's so helpful!

message 3: by Misha (new)

Misha (itz_mie) | 365 comments good job Lynn :)

message 4: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Great, Lynn, thanks for posting the list, it is all in one place now, a very comfortable access to create my tbr for the next challenge :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

tbr?

message 6: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
tbr = to be read

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Thx

message 8: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 8 comments Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7) by Patricia Briggs - Loved this series. It's one of the only series that I don't think falls flat the more books you get into it. I will definitely be reading the new one next year.

Fallen Too Far (Too Far, #1; Rosemary Beach, #1) by Abbi Glines - Although I didn't find this book incredibly deep, it was a good, fun, romantic, racy summer read.

Ten Tiny Breaths (Ten Tiny Breaths, #1) by K.A. Tucker - Also not my normal genre but I went through a period where I read a ton of cheap, romance books. This one definitely had an ending that I didn't see coming.

Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth - This series ender fell a little flat for me but I had to find out how the story ended so I don't regret reading it.

message 9: by Kia (new)

Kia | 5 comments loved, loved, loved The Storyteller!! very much Jodi Picoult's best and I've read them all!!

message 10: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Langan (ashleighreads) | 4 comments wow I have only read Reflected in You by Sylvia Day .. loved the Crossfire series because it actually included some plot as opposed to the Fifty Shades series. I'm really excited to read a lot of these I know a lot are on my TBR list :)

message 11: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 44 comments The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

Loved this one, probably my favorite book of the year.

message 12: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
Rosie Project was definitely one of my favourites of this year, loved it.

message 13: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2017 comments Mod
Amazing job lynn

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Jones (AmandaSJones) | 8 comments What a list, Lynn! How do you compile this?

I am Malala is inspiration from an incredible young woman! The Moosewood cookbook series has always been a staple in my kitchen's bookshelf. And I agree with Kia, The Storyteller is one of Picoult's best.

message 15: by Portia (new)

Portia Hi, Lynn. Since I've only recently joined, my plan is to lurk until 01/01/014, but praise for the work you did on this list should be given now. Thank you! Great job! My TBR stack thinks you're The Bees Knees!

message 16: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
Hey Amanda, I didn't compile it .... the nomination and voting has been put together by Goodreads and the members of Goodreads voted on them. https://www.goodreads.com/choiceaward...

The winners will be announced on the 4th December https://www.goodreads.com/choiceaward...

We as a bookclub will then read those winners as our BotM.
(This group is only for the reading of books that have won the Goodreads Choice Awards, we are not associated in any way with the running of Goodreads or the selection process of the awards).

Portia - No need to lurk, just jump in and join the discussions :)
Of course you're more than welcome to lurk if that's what you prefer.

message 17: by Portia (new)

Portia Thanks, Lynn. Lurking = getting my bearings with this wonderful group. I won't be at it long!

message 18: by Patty (new)

Patty | 1 comments Thanks. I was looking for the final list and it vanished.

message 19: by Diana (new)

Diana Gotsch | 37 comments Sad how few of these I've read this year. Spent most of this year catching up on the books I missed last year. Now will need to read 2013 books in 2014. story of my life, sigh

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Jones (AmandaSJones) | 8 comments Lynn, thanks for clarifying! I'm new ;)

message 22: by Portia (new)

Portia 2014 looks better and better!

message 23: by Portia (new)

Portia Diana, I am a year behind, too. You are not alone:-)

message 24: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Jones (AmandaSJones) | 8 comments Cin, thanks for the list!

Diana and Portia, I'm behind too - that fine balance between reading, writing and the rest of life ;)

message 25: by Lorrie (new)

Lorrie (lorrier) | 46 comments Miranda wrote: "Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7) by Patricia Briggs - Loved this series. It's one of the only series that I don't think falls flat the more books you get into it. I will definitely be reading the new one next year.
..."

I agree, Miranda. The 3rd book was the letdown but I also am glad I persevered and finished it.

message 26: by Lorrie (new)

Lorrie (lorrier) | 46 comments I've read three books on the winners list and none received more than 2 stars from me. I feel like I'm definitely not mainstream and the winning list confirms this.

message 27: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Lorrie wrote: "I've read three books on the winners list and none received more than 2 stars from me. I feel like I'm definitely not mainstream and the winning list confirms this."

Lorrie, I totally agree. The books that won, that I have read, were okay at best. I was pretty shocked and somewhat disappointed at the results. I can think of 10 YA Fantasy books off the top of my head that I enjoyed more than Allegiant. But I guess I can't judge what I haven't read, so maybe it will all make sense after I read what actually won. Sigh.

message 28: by Lorrie (new)

Lorrie (lorrier) | 46 comments You make me feel a little better, Ally. I agree with you in that I need to read some more of the winners. After that I'll decide whether I'm a total wierdo or not.

message 29: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Ally and Lorrie, I have exactly the same feelings about some winners, and I'm especially disappointed with YA fantasy winner, I would rather see Requiem won or some other of the books, my personal choice was The 5th Wave, all much better than Allegiant in my opinion, on the other hand over 36,000 people voted on this book, so there must be some reason in it... even if it is only popularity not necessarily high art of the book.

Still, I feel so much better that I'm not the only one with these opinions. :) Thanks for sharing yours!

message 30: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (teff1979) | 69 comments when will the challenge be posted for this year.

message 31: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
Very soon Stephanie, we are just working through the schedule currently.

message 32: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (teff1979) | 69 comments ok so all I do is read the books that you read or do I just read the books from the list? Sorry I am new to this group have just been reading post and getting ready to start the a-z challenge in Jan!

message 33: by ElvenRaven (new)

ElvenRaven | 244 comments Stephanie, you can read any book on this list and count it towards your Goodreads Choice Awards Challenge for 2014. We will only read the winners from each category as a group read (our Books of the Month), but we also have other kinds of group reads, like our Additional Reads (we nominate and vote on the book we want to read) and the Series Reads (if a winner of the GCA is part of a series, we read the previous books leading up to it).

message 34: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
We as a group will be reading the winners, but the group challenge is for any books that were on the voting list
https://www.goodreads.com/choiceaward...

You need to go through those books and mark which ones you would like to read and also place them on a shelf you've named for the challenge e.g. gcac
(I place way more books on this shelf than I physically will be able to read for the challenge. I just put all possible reads so that gives me options throughout the year).

Once the challenge is open, you will decide how many books you want to challenge yourself to read. Each time you mark them as read it will count towards the challenge.
I hope that makes sense!

message 35: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
I am now going to move this thread to the archive and start a new thread with an updated list.

Stupid me totally forgot that that once all the books were listed it wouldn't fit in one comment box; DOH!
So I'll go off and post a new one.

message 36: by Stephanie (last edited Dec 07, 2013 11:43AM) (new)

Stephanie (teff1979) | 69 comments how do I mark them as read and where do I make this list? And, what if I have read some of them?

message 37: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
Go to https://www.goodreads.com/help and read the first links under the heading 'my books'

message 38: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
If you've read some already as long as you add them to you challenge shelf they will still count.

message 39: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (teff1979) | 69 comments Lynn wrote: "If you've read some already as long as you add them to you challenge shelf they will still count."

So I would make a challenge shelf like I make any other shelf and call it 2014 challenge? And I put all the books there?

message 40: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
Yes :)

message 41: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (teff1979) | 69 comments ok thanks I have been a member of good reads for a while but just came a cross this group. So I can still put these books on other shelves as well.

message 42: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
Yes, a book can be on as many shelves as you want.

Sandy from Alaska Colón (sandycfromak) | 56 comments So far I've read the following:

The Golem and the Jinni
The Husband's Secret
Orphan Train
The White Princess
How the Light Gets In (currently reading)

I enjoyed all of them. But, I especially liked the relationship that develops between the teenager and the nonagenarian.

message 44: by Sarah (last edited Dec 07, 2013 04:04PM) (new)

Sarah | 1467 comments The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion and And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini were excellent. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and Life After Life by Kate Atkinson were good.

I really want to read Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King , The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt , Joyland by Stephen King , Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam Trilogy, #1) by Margaret Atwood The Year of the Flood (MaddAddam Trilogy, #2) by Margaret Atwood and MaddAddam (MaddAddam Trilogy #3) by Margaret Atwood , The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty , Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline , The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton , The House Girl by Tara Conklin , A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki , TransAtlantic by Colum McCann , The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri , Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I could not get through The Firebird (Slains, #2) by Susanna Kearsley .
I did also enjoy The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith , The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker , The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes , The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman .

I refused to purchase Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth - was so disappointed in the author after reading the reviews. I knew major plot holes and two perspectives with the same voice would drive me crazy. Three things I like in books - good plot development, good character development, and good writing.

message 45: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
Guys, this is the old (preliminary) list. It has now been updated with all contenders and winners at https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 46: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I really enjoyed Me Before You by Jojo Moyes , Joyland by Stephen King and A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki