Children's Books discussion

Misc. Archive > What about the Scholastic books? (And other shelving questions)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C. (last edited Nov 26, 2013 06:15AM) (new)

C. | 4 comments Hi,I just finished reading the delightful children's mystery Mystery of the Witches' Bridge by Barbee Oliver Carleton ,and I found your group while I was looking for children's book groups. I am a grandmother and great grandmother and an avid reader of most genres,including in the children's and YA age groups.

I saw the Newberry book threads but none for Scholastic books. Aren't these the books that we used to order out of our Weekly Readers? I got so many of my books that way when I was in school.

Mystery of the Witches' Bridge by Barbee O. Carlton

message 2: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 312 comments Yes, Scholastic books I ordered way back in the 70s when I first began teaching and when I was still a teacher (three years ago) we still ordered from those thin little paper newsletters. However, Scholastic is just a publishing house. It publishes affordable books (mostly paperbacks) for children. It is not the name of any award or honor.

message 3: by C. (new)

C. | 4 comments Thank you.I was wondering why since they published so many titles,they aren't mentioned in this group and why there aren't any books on the bookshelf?

message 4: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 5939 comments Mod
Christine,
So glad you found our group. It was recently "saved" after two former co-moderators left and took a great deal of content with them. All our shelved books were deleted. We are slowly but surely rebuilding so please check back!
We usually group book discussions around themes or specific authors so that's probably why no Scholastic discussions appear though you may get some good feedback on this thread.
Other Internet searches might also lead you to the books you seek. Best of luck!

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6441 comments Mod
They are one of the better-known publishers, that's true. My mom hated to buy books, saying we should just use the library, so I remember it was a special treat when, once a year or so, we were allowed to choose a book from the Scholastic flyer.

If you have any suggestions for books that should be added to our bookshelves, post a link and enough about the book so we can 'tag' it fully. For example, Mystery of the Witches' Bridge should be tagged 'middle-grade' and 'mystery' and (maybe?) 'spooky.'

I think it's a great idea to tag books by first or primary publisher, too. I'll take up the idea with the other moderators.

Also, please note that the Fiction Club is looking for nominations for books-of-the-month. Be sure to link and describe your favorite books over there - I'll bet Jane & Jasmine will pay special attention to nominations that have descriptions attached that say why the book is being nominated.

message 6: by C. (last edited Nov 29, 2013 11:34PM) (new)

C. | 4 comments Kathryn wrote: "Christine,
So glad you found our group. It was recently "saved" after two former co-moderators left and took a great deal of content with them. All our shelved books were deleted. We are slowly..."

Wow,That is so strange that someone would take the content when they leave!I hope you are able to rebuild your group.I added a few books to the bookshelf,but must apologize for making a mistake when naming a category and now I'm not able to delete that category'children-s-middle school'. I had written it' children's-middle school',but that isn't how it came out,so I just created 'children-middle school' instead.Hopefully a MOD here can delete it?

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6441 comments Mod
I'll take a look once we've figured out just what shelves we want, but yes, GR inserts the hyphens.

Let's hold off for now on shelving books until we've agreed on a system, ok? I do appreciate your enthusiasm, though, thank you for your participation and ideas!

Christine, we moderators have decided that the shelves look like they're off to a pretty good start now. More shelves can be added as necessary, but go ahead and shelve whatever you think is important. Any questions, any thoughts, *please* come back here and we can share ideas. Ok?

message 9: by Aimee (new)

Aimee | 54 comments Tricia and Cheryl, I loved those Scholastic books as a child, and I still pore over the ones my children bring home from school.

Scholastic does have a good record of choosing effectively which books to sell.