Father Figure Father Figure discussion

What do you think of Uriel's action towards the end of the story?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) (last edited Nov 28, 2013 06:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) What do you feel when Uriel did what he deemed is right? Did you feel sad? angry? blatant hatred for Gabriel? Or just solemn acceptance not unlike Uriel?

I was sadden by his resolve yet I kinda understands how he feels at that moment. I will try to elaborate once I get other feedbacks here ;)

Steelwhisper It was a very logical conclusion. I have to say though that I was not moved emotionally very much by the book. For me it was more like a calculated piece of trainwreck unfolding, or maybe a character study which left me somewhat distanced.

It didn't even come over as earth-shatteringly taboo (incest), because several key components were lacking: the father never got to develop true fatherly feelings, because he was unaware of his son up to his kidnapping. I don't think he actually grows to experience fatherly feelings either, he just acknowledges his role at the end. As to Gabriel, while he was always aware there /was/ a father out there, he again had no chance at developing the feelings of a son. He was dealing with slight and loss mainly, and that scene in the car shows that only afterwards he realises some of it. To me that means that what took place in the cabin more or less happened between two strangers rather than true relatives.

message 3: by Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) (last edited Nov 28, 2013 06:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) Thanks for sharing Steel.

I do still feel affected by the taboo because no matter what (view spoiler)

Steelwhisper Different reactions to taboos. (view spoiler) But in general my personal taboos are elsewhere. ;) It's not as if I was unfeeling ;)

Steelwhisper As to Uriel and what he did,(view spoiler)

message 6: by Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) (last edited Nov 28, 2013 07:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) Steelwhisper wrote: "But in general my personal taboos are elsewhere. ;) It's not as if I was unfeeling ;) "

You are just different. I can understand that. Every individual is unique. Tats what makes our life more interesting. Since everyone has their our set of experiences in life, we are bound to have different kind of perception.

message 7: by Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) (last edited Nov 28, 2013 07:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) Steelwhisper wrote: "As to Uriel and what he did,[spoilers removed]"

OMG. Yes! that was what I was thinking too. He already had that intention when his beloved wife left and he is still very much in love with her. It's like the best way for him to end his longings and pain. Gabriel has given him that reason again.

Steelwhisper Kynthos-the-Archer wrote: "OMG. Yes! that was what I was thinking too. He already had that intention when his beloved wife left and he is still very much ..."

In a way it was a very Asian tale in that regard. I loved that a lot.

message 9: by Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) (last edited Nov 28, 2013 08:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) Family value. And yes, Asians do have sensitive views on taboo like incest. Momma would kill me if she knows I read such a book. lol

I am curious, do you know the author and the illustrator are Asians when you read that book? I am very glad you like that book ;)

Steelwhisper Kynthos-the-Archer wrote: "I am curious, do you know the author and the illustrator are As..."

Yes, I think it comes through. The art definitely, and I think the writing also has an inevitability about itself which I'd consider very eastern.

message 11: by Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) (last edited Nov 28, 2013 08:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) Tats odd cos JoChen's (TogaQ) art has always been considered very westernized. She's a Western comic book superhero illustrator. In Asian's eyes her work is very western when compared to other Asian artist.

Many of In These Words, Volume 1 readers says her Asian characters doesn't look Asian enough. lol. Both the MCs are mistaken for Caucasians.

Steelwhisper Kynthos-the-Archer wrote: "Tats odd cos JoChen's (TogaQ) art has always been considered very westernized. She's a Western comic book superhero illustrator. In Asian's eyes her work is very western when compared to other Asia..."

She probably sits on the fence. For me the Asian influence is pretty obvious. But then, Gengoroh Tagame also often has rather Caucasian looking guys.

Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) Gengoroh Tagame the bara mangaka? His are mostly furry bears. But didn't really see them as Caucasians tho.

Steelwhisper Kynthos-the-Archer wrote: "Gengoroh Tagame the bara mangaka? His are mostly furry bears. But didn't really see them as Caucasians tho."

Not all, but quite a few don't look very Japanese or Asian to me. Love his work though.

Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) I see. Well to be fair, I didn't really read all his work. Only a few. Not really my cup of tea :P I just don't fancy hirsute men. Hehehe :D

message 16: by Yblees (last edited Mar 16, 2014 01:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yblees Steelwhisper wrote: "As to Uriel and what he did,[spoilers removed]"
I agree with Steel on Uriel's motivation here. (view spoiler)

Yblees BTW, Jo Chen is Taiwanese, not Japanese. I think her artwork has elements of Chinese style comics (manhwa) as well as a strong western influence from drawing comics for DC, Marvel & co. Very fusion *LOL*

And I love Gengoroh Tagame's art. Don't always get his stories, but the art... wow!

Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) Yup JoChen aka TogaQ is a comic artist from Taiwan. If not mistaken her sis is also in the same line - an artist.

Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) Yblees,

I quite agree with you there on the (view spoiler)

Anna (Bananas) Good insight, Yblees. He did kind of fail Gabriel again. I hadn't thought of that.

Anna (Bananas) As much as I love the art, I do think the male characters often look too similar in these books. Also, they don't look Asian at all. They all have the same slender, delicate look about them. And Uriel didn't look older than Gabriel at all.

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Yblees (last edited Mar 17, 2014 01:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yblees Well, Uriel and Gabriel are meant to be Caucasian - their surname is "Blackthorn" or something like that. So they're not Asian anyway.
Katsuya in ITW is Japanese - I think that's where the token glasses come in *LOL*.

I don't usually mind this kind of (somewhat generic)art, but (view spoiler)

Anna (Bananas) I think they are white in FF. I meant in ITW mainly they don't look Asian but they're supposed to be.

That image is freaking me out too.

Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) Yup, nothing Asian about them. That's why Katsuya needed that token glasses. :P

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* I am late to the party but hey I came!

My thoughts on this are a little bit different but don't hate me please, ok?

I think Uriel didn't (view spoiler)

Anyway sorry, this is just my silly opinion and I understand we have different POVs.

I loved the story as it was and can't stop thinking about them. I wish more people were willing to give this one a try.

xxx

Yblees Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* wrote: "I am late to the party but hey I came!My thoughts on this are a little bit different but don't hate me please, ok?"

When I said Uriel failed Gabriel at the end it was because (view spoiler)