The Sword and Laser discussion

A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #1)
This topic is about A Natural History of Dragons
2013 Reads > ANHoD: December 2013 Book Pick Announced: A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent by Marie Brennan

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6719 comments Mod
A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent has been selected for the December pick as per Podcast 152

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I for one and not terribly excited for this pick, but I'll give it a try anyways.

I've only had one friend on Good reads read/rate it so far and they didn't care for it.

Thankfully it looks like my library has a copy available so I put a hold in last night for it.

message 3: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (quietambition) | 17 comments I'm not sure if I want to dish out $14 for it =/ Might have to pick it up at a later date.

Mel (booksandsundry) (booksandsundry) | 137 comments I'm so excited this book was chosen, I have it on my shelf waiting to be read. :D

terpkristin | 4120 comments I forgot this book existed, so picked up the Kindle version when I saw it I the podcast show notes (will listen to the show today). Based on the cover, I wonder if there are other illustrations that might be worth picking up a hardback version?

Igor (igorrodrigues) | 13 comments I'm happy with this pick. This is a book that have been flerting with for quite a while and I can say for what I saw so far it's gonna be a pleasant surprise for those who give it a chance. :)

message 7: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I will pass on this one. It didn't appeal to me when it came out and it still doesn't interest me. I think I'm just not a fan of dragons.

Scott Silver | 10 comments Out of curiosity, how are the next books for the group chosen? It's obviously not a democracy, otherwise we'd be reading The Name of the Wind. So, then is it just Veronica and Tom that simply pick the book? I know it alternates between SciFi and Fantasy, but other than that there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it.

message 9: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (quietambition) | 17 comments Typically Tom will pick the Laser and Veronica will pick the Sword. They sometimes make a poll for us to vote on a book, but it doesn't happen often.

They are our Benevolent Dictators :P

terpkristin | 4120 comments It varies. Sometimes there's a poll, sometimes our fearless leaders ask for inputs and choose from the top X selections, sometimes they make benevolent dictator picks. Personally, I dislike the crowd-sourced ones because a) there seem to be a lot of people who vote that don't participate and b) I have yet to have enjoyed one of the crowd-sourced picks (yes, that's totally selfish of me heheh). But the long and short is that there isn't a fixed rule for how it's selected, but it varies pick to pick. Even the alternating isn't always strictly true, it depends on what else is going on.

message 11: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6118 comments Is it a novel? I thought it was a picture book.

message 12: by Jeff (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 218 comments Tamahome wrote: "Is it a novel? I thought it was a picture book."

Oooh if it was a pop-up book I'd probably read it twice!! :)

message 13: by Louise (new) - added it

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments I know already I can't get this at the library, because I've been trying to get it all year. Never mind, it might turn up at Christmas along with Ancillary Justice. Wish I could participate a bit more - I really enjoyed the discussion of Among Others and The Dirty Streets of Heaven (the only two I managed to get hold of so far this year).

message 14: by Alan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alan | 534 comments It's available at my library so I'll give it a try but I generally end up Lemming "memoirs" because it's a given that the the main character survives the book, which usually lowers my anticipation/dread at whatever predicament she's in.

Lindsay | 593 comments For the people who care, this is also the first book in a series which I believe is a planned five books.

message 16: by Dustin (last edited Nov 26, 2013 06:27PM) (new) - added it

Dustin (tillos) | 365 comments Sandi wrote: "I will pass on this one. It didn't appeal to me when it came out and it still doesn't interest me. I think I'm just not a fan of dragons."

You just take your dragon hating fingers and get out. Your kind ain't welcome around these forums.

I'll pass because I heard it was a dragon/steampunk cross (which would be delightful) without the dragons or steampunk.

And honestly I'd only pay that much if it was an author I love or it was actually a Natural History of Dragons.

message 17: by Hope (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope (littlehope) | 82 comments I got this book at the library a few days ago and was to happy to hear that this is the next book pick!

message 18: by Ben (new)

Ben (bennewton_1) | 253 comments I will probably skip this one as well, I've got a few other to-reads that I'd like to catch up on.

Shaina (shainaeg) | 165 comments Dustin wrote: "I'll pass because I heard it was a dragon/steampunk cross (which would be delightful) without the dragons or steampunk."

I'm a little over 1/4 of the way in and it's definitely about dragons, but no steampunk. At least not yet, and I hope it stays that way. More of an alternate history feeling.

Nancy O'Toole (temporaryworlds) | 135 comments Darn, I'm getting a copy of this one, but not until Christmas. Looks like I'll be hitting the library in the meantime! I've enjoyed everything I've read by Brennan so far.

Kristina | 588 comments This hadn't been on my radar, but the library has a copy so I'm in. Sometimes it's fun to jump into a book without any idea what you're getting into.

message 22: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Swerbensky  | 75 comments Well, I think I'm going to have to pass. After looking into this pick, I just don't think it's for me. And December tends to be really busy for me, I doubt I'm going to have much time to read. :(

message 23: by Gary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gary Bremer | 21 comments For those that are dismissing this book off-hand, I'd urge you to at least read a few passages to see the style.

I am absolutely enamored with the style it's written in...very in-character Victorian-era culture. (which is why I think some people call it steampunky)

It's such a delight to read, and (so far) has a very positive feel to it. It's written with a very optimistic first-person viewpoint, it's hard not to feel a little better after a reading session than I did before the session. It's akin to taking a big juicy bite out of a [insert favorite fruit here].

message 24: by Mike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike Gary wrote: "For those that are dismissing this book off-hand, I'd urge you to at least read a few passages to see the style.

I am absolutely enamored with the style it's written in...very in-character Victo..."

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. This didn't sound like the sort of book that I would normally enjoy, but I downloaded the Kindle sample to give it a shot anyway. I have since bought the book and I am already enjoying it.

I am generally ruthless in scrapping a book if the sample doesn't gain my attention, but this one was interesting and well-written right off the bat. I am hoping the rest of the story doesn't disappoint, but I find that if I like the beginning of a book, I will generally like the rest of it.

Matthew (matthewdl) | 341 comments Almost 100 pages in and I'm loving it. It's a really interesting blend. It definitely has a Victorian feel but it's a unique fantasy setting not just Pride and Prejudice with dragons or something. The whole "natural history" approach adds a scientific element that almost reminds me of Wells or Verne except that it has dragons!

Even if this doesn't deliver on the adventure story that it's kind of setting up it should be a really interesting read. Wonderful style and characters.

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments My library has a copy, just requested it. Look forward to checking it out.

Fredrik (fredurix) | 217 comments Hm. I'll put in a reservation at the library. In the meantime, I'll check out the kindle sample.

message 28: by Richard (new)

Richard Hayden (richard_hayden) | 6 comments I've enjoyed previous Marie Brennan books so I am definitely interested in this one. But the paperback doesn't come out in the UK until next year. I'll wait and read it then.

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments So is this illustrated or no?

message 30: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

A quick scan I see a few, but not many.

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments So this one would be better print than ebook, probably. To the used bookstore! Thanks Rob.

message 32: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

They don't really look detailed or anything. More like pencil sketches. One of them was some guy.

Do the eBook copies not have them or something?

message 33: by Mike (last edited Nov 28, 2013 06:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike Rob wrote: "So this one would be better print than ebook, probably. To the used bookstore! Thanks Rob."

I am reading it on my Kindle and I am not having any issue with the illustrations. Only one appears every so often and they are of sufficient quality to see clearly on my Kindle 3 screen.

None are that critical to the story, they mostly just show a picture of a particular dragon that they are referring to in that point of the novel.

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments Oh, I didn't think the ebook would have them, which is dumb because I definitely have several kindle books with illustrations :p

message 35: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6118 comments The NOS4ATU ebook doesn't have illustrations.

message 36: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny (jennyc89) | 116 comments Just requested it at my library! It's on the shelf so I should have it right away :)

message 37: by Terry (new)

Terry A | 4 comments I went to buy next month's pick,but I found I had it in my eBook library. Hate when that happens.

message 38: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 76 comments Has anyone started the Audible version? There is bit of a lack of reviews.

message 39: by Alan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alan | 534 comments Matthew wrote: "Almost 100 pages in and I'm loving it. It's a really interesting blend. It definitely has a Victorian feel but it's a unique fantasy setting not just Pride and Prejudice with dragons or something. ..."

I'm only about 80 pages in but "Pride and Prejudice with Dragons" is almost exactly how I'd describe it so far. Not that that's a bad thing ...

David(LA,CA) (davidscharf) | 327 comments Ryan wrote: "Has anyone started the Audible version? There is bit of a lack of reviews."

Started and finished. I'm not much of a critic of audiobooks (this one brings my grand total to 12). The narrator did a good job, and there weren't any characters that I disliked solely based on the voice/accent given to them.

Jimmy | 14 comments Ryan wrote: "Has anyone started the Audible version? There is bit of a lack of reviews."

Started and finished. Kate Redding's performance is the only reason that I was able to finish it because I extremely disliked the final third of the story.

Priscila Tchorbadjian | 2 comments I'm interested to see everyone's opinion on this pick. Marie Brennan wrote the first fantasy book I've ever read (with the exception of Harry Potter) and I have a special place in my heart for her writing. I've picked this up a few months ago, and I found it very entertaining. It wasn't anything I was expecting, and I feel like the description doesn't make it justice.

message 43: by Firstname (new)

Firstname Lastname | 488 comments I read something like this a few months ago, and it was not very compelling. What's going to make the difference is the writing style.