Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Books of the Month December 2013 - Dune & The Lies of Locke Lamora

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new)

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
The winners for Decembers BoTM voting are
- SCI-FI: Dune
- FANTASY: The Lies of Locke Lamora

Reading for both starts on the 1st of December. Book discussion may start at ANY point during the month. There will also be 'overall' discussion threads as more members finish the books.

I'm not sure which one to read first, two great picks, i'm looking forward to it!

message 2: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
Ooh, nice picks! =D

Thanks for posting, Nic.

message 3: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1897 comments Mod
I've already read locke lamora so will happily join in the discussion there.

I have Dune on my shelves, but I'm just not sure If I'm ready for it yet.. haha.

Might use this month to get ahead on some of my other unread books :)

message 4: by Antonis (new)

Antonis (antonakis) | 62 comments Kirsty wrote: "I've already read locke lamora so will happily join in the discussion there.

I have Dune on my shelves, but I'm just not sure If I'm ready for it yet.. haha.

Might use this month to get ahead on ..."

Those 3 sentences are exactly what I was about to say as well. I read The Lies of Locke Lamora a few years ago and will probably join the discussion... if I remember much about it! As for Dune, I want to read it... but I'm not sure if it's what I'd like to read right now. Somehow, it doesn't fit with my December reading mood.

message 5: by Mpauli, Bitten by a radioactive book (new)

Mpauli | 769 comments Mod
2 great picks. I already read both and rated Dune 5 stars and Locke 4 stars.
Both are on very opposite ends regarding themes and writing style. Looking forward to the group's thoughts and will join the discussions.

message 6: by Nara (new)

Nara (greengp01) So excited to read The Lies of Locke Lamora!
I've heard a lot of good things about it, and LOOK AT THAT GR RATING! 4.26 is incredible!

message 7: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 2021 comments Mod
Mpauli wrote: "2 great picks. I already read both and rated Dune 5 stars and Locke 4 stars.
Both are on very opposite ends regarding themes and writing style. Looking forward to the group's thoughts and will join..."

Same here, I've read them both, I will be starting the second in the series for Lies of Locke Lamora. I may re read Dune for the month to be able to participate in the discussion, but that always ends with me reading the whole series and I have so many other good books to read right now.

message 8: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new)

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
I think i'm going to read Locke first as i've read Dune already, but i will probably re-read Dune afterwards. I've been planning on a long series read and the Dune series was in contention, so i'm just going to take this as my excuse to start it off.

Seriously, Kirsty/Antonis, READ DUNE! You will not regret it!

message 9: by Antonis (new)

Antonis (antonakis) | 62 comments Nic wrote: "Seriously, Kirsty/Antonis, READ DUNE! You will not regret it!"

Hhmm maybe I will after all. I think I might give it a try and see how it goes.

message 10: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I also need to read Lies asap because I have the third book on Kindle, thanks to Netgalley!

message 11: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1832 comments Mod
I have read both and I recommend them both, so I will join in discussion, but I will admit to being a little relieved as I have two deadlines mid-December which I am not looking forward to! :S

message 12: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1897 comments Mod
Nic wrote: "I think i'm going to read Locke first as i've read Dune already, but i will probably re-read Dune afterwards. I've been planning on a long series read and the Dune series was in contention, so i'm ..."

Haha! Perhaps! :D

message 13: by Antonis (new)

Antonis (antonakis) | 62 comments Guys, quick question for those who have read Dune already. I've noticed that there are some apendices at the end of the book. If I read Dune, should I read those before, during or after reading the main/central story?

message 14: by Soila (new)

Soila | 135 comments I'd read the appendices afterwards, if I remember correctly they contained spoilers that to me would have ruined the experience of slowly finding out about the culture by myself. :)

message 15: by Antonis (new)

Antonis (antonakis) | 62 comments Thanks! That's what I'm going to do then, I'll read them afterwards. That's always the tricky part with appendices in books. One can never be sure when it's appropriate to read them.

message 16: by John (new)

John (johnred) Whoo! I'm really excited about Dune. This is my first time reading it. I'll have to hurry up and finish the book I'm currently reading, so I can get started this weekend :)

message 17: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

I tend to leave appendices to the end as that's where they appear and I'll only refer to glossaries if needed :)

message 18: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I've barely been reading this past week, the Steam sales have distracted me... especially bad as I want to try and read 100 books this year, which means I have six more to read this month! I have started Locke Lamora though.

message 19: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Steam always plays up for me - and hopelessly no time for games yet - maybe in 21 months time? :D

message 20: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

message 21: by Antonis (new)

Antonis (antonakis) | 62 comments Hahaha don't sneeze! Also, that first "spice" comment is gold!

message 22: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Antonis wrote: "Hahaha don't sneeze! Also, that first "spice" comment is gold!"

Ahaha so true! Speaking of which *takes a guilty look at my bookshelves*, I really ought to go and give my shelves some tlc!

message 23: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 2983 comments Mod
I read the Dune series many years ago, I don't think I'm going to reread for this, but I recall liking it.

I'm about 200 pages into Locke Lamora, and I'm enjoying that one.

message 24: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 2983 comments Mod
I just finished The Lies of Locke Lamora. I loved it. Great book! Thanks whoever suggested that one!

message 25: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Page is up for discussion if you wish Wayland :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.