#supporttranslatedbooks discussion

Belka, Why Don't You Bark?
This topic is about Belka, Why Don't You Bark?
Group Read 2014 > January 2014 Read ~ Belka, Why Don't You Bark?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bee (last edited Nov 26, 2013 12:19AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bee (morgaine620) | 94 comments Mod
Hello Supporters of translated fiction. I have been thinking about this group a lot and have decided to travel other book routes than #IFFP or those of the International Fiction reading group (even though they are reading Herman Hesse right now which I really really love).

Therefore I have googled a little and stumbled over this literary prize: Science Fiction & Fantasy Translation Awards and "Belka, why don't you bark?" just fascinated me: A story seen through the eyes of man's best friend and a kidnapped girl who develops a psychic connection to dogs. Now that sounds like fun :-) After so many books with more difficult topics this seems a good one to start the new year.

Please have a look here if you (like me) have never heard of the author Hideo Furukawa

If you have a suggestion which translated book we have to read ~ please feel free to message me. Thanks!

message 2: by Bee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hello guys, good news for all of you who have a kindle: The January reed "Belka, why don't you bark?" is on special offer at Amazon on the kindle. It costs 6,38 £ instead of 16,99 £. Now of course this is the UK Amazon. Unfortunately I don't know about the any of the other countries. I have just bought it and will have a look later on. Take care

message 3: by Bee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Well even though I said in the beginning this book sounds like fun it is again about WWII but also about modern Russia. I would not describe it as fun now but it is very interesting and I am glad I have chosen it. Is any one else reading it right now? What do you think?

I like its structure of one chapter about the dogs around and after WWII and one chapter about "The Archbishop" and I wonder what the connection is to the war dogs.

Certainly a book that makes your fantasy work.... :-)

message 4: by Bee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Well, a little spoiler: "The Archbishop" has kidnapped the 11 or 12 year old daughter of a Japanese mafia boss. He is also training dogs as attackers of people and cleansing houses of people. Very scary that. The old man and the girl can not communicate as they do not know each others tongues which makes a few really funny "conversations" but I would prefer if the girl wouldn't use the "f..." word so often.....

message 5: by Bee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Uh the longer I read the less I can stand that girl. She swears much too much for my taste. But maybe that is how the daughters of Japanese mafia bosses are?

message 6: by Bee (new) - rated it 2 stars

The month is nearly over and I have not even read half of the book. Bugger ;-) sorry for my French. Well, still not exactly sure what to think of this book. It won't be one of my favourites that's for sure but it's certainly worth reading as it is so different to the usual books I read. Even though I might need longer than January to read this one I'll keep you updated :-)

message 7: by Bee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ah such a shame I have not heard from anyone of you if you have read the book. It was a super struggle for me but was an experience to read it.

I have posted my review here: my bookshelf ~ read ~ Furukawa