The Sword and Laser discussion

House of Leaves
This topic is about House of Leaves
What Else Are You Reading? > Which edition of House of Leaves?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gally (last edited Nov 25, 2013 11:25PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gally I've read that House of Leaves is one of the most innovative books published and a great horror story, so I'm thinking of getting it.

But which edition I should I get?

Amazon has this hardcover, this "library binding" hardcover, and this paperback.

If you click the cover for a preview then click "copyright" to go that page, the hardcover and "library binding" say "full-color" and the paperback says "2-color."

I've also read that the reader must sometimes hold the book at various angles to read the text, and I'm not sure which edition would be easier to handle and take around with me.

I know there can be a huge difference between some hardcovers and paperbacks (e.g. the hardcover Abarat series has thick glossy pages with full-color paintings and the paperback is just regular paper with none of the paintings), so I just wanna make sure I get the one that gives me the best experience.

Thanks!

P.S.

If there's another online retailer I can order from besides Amazon for a good price and ships to APO addresses, please lmk.

message 2: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Rowe (benwickens) This is not a book to take round with you - even the paperback version would be a bit heavy. It is a huge book and with that I would go for the paperback (less weight when turning book around).

I do think this is a book for which the hardback is nicest. It is also a book where having the extra colors does make a small difference but this is a difference which is minimised when you see how elements are handled in different editions.

Basically in the multiple color edition there is some text in red with a line through it. In some other editions (such as the one I read the book in) it just has a line through. In some editions whereever "house" appears it is in a different color in other editions it is just italicised and the font/format is different. As such whilst the full color looks slightly better and is closest to fully expressing what the author wants you can get pretty much the full effect whichever edition you go for.

It is a great book, a fantastic horror story that most people find genuinely exciting and scary. It is also an innovative and interesting book that can be enjoyed fully on its first reading but like say Gene Wolfe's work it can be reread to fully extract all the potential meanings and puzzles.

Gally Thanks for the input, Ben! The hardcover is over twice the price of the paperback and I wasn't sure if having full-color was enough to justify the price difference since I can't see much of whatever's in color in the Amazon preview anyway. I try to get hardcovers if I have the option because they fare much better whenever I move (and I move a LOT), but what really matters are the pictures inside. Are those in full color in the paperback edition, or just black and grey?

message 4: by Gally (last edited Nov 26, 2013 06:53AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gally Little update: this site lists all the editions (here are covers and isbn), so I'm trying to find either the hardcover or paperback of the "Full-color Remastered Edition." Barnes and Noble has the hardcover, but I can't seem to find the paperback anywhere. The ones available on Amazon don't say what version they are.

message 5: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Rowe (benwickens) Picture wise there are only a couple of pictures in the appendices so really I dont feel you are missing out by going for a cheaper edition. It is a book that some people fall so much in love with that they might then go out and snap up all the editions available or get the hardback for 99% of people I think the paperback version will meet their needs perfectly.

Dharmakirti | 942 comments No matter which edition you pick, you are about to embark on an....experience.

It's my favorite novel.

Gally Thanks! I'm excited, it's on it's way in the mail :] I've never read a book that actually creeped me out or frightened me, so I hope this is it.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2859 comments Gally wrote: "Thanks! I'm excited, it's on it's way in the mail :] I've never read a book that actually creeped me out or frightened me, so I hope this is it."

Just don't read it while you are looking for a house or moving. OH the nightmares.

Fresno Bob | 582 comments Check it out from the library!