Book Nook Cafe discussion

Plays, Short Stories & Essays > Christmas day in the morning - December 2013

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alias Reader (last edited Nov 25, 2013 07:34PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17636 comments What's this? : This is a short story group read. It's a one page story so I hope you will find the time to read it and share your thoughts with the group.

We will try and read and discuss this and a few other holiday stories in December. All the short stories will be found online.

Book: Christmas Day in the Morning by Pearl S. Buck Christmas Day in the Morning

Online link for this one page story
http://www.allthingschristmas.com/sto...

Author: Pearl S. Buck Pearl S. Buck

When: We will be discussing this one page short story and other holiday stories during the month of December.

Where: The discussion for this short story will take place in this thread.

message 2: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17636 comments Here is a YouTube interview.

Novelist Pearl S. Buck Interview (Merv Griffin Show 1966)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIMED9...

message 3: by Alias Reader (last edited Nov 25, 2013 07:42PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17636 comments Here is short 2 min clip about Buck on YouTube. Her son in part of the clip.

Meet Pearl S. Buck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IbNj7...

message 4: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments Thank you, Alias. I had forgotten we planned on doing this. Neat.

message 5: by Carol (last edited Nov 26, 2013 04:42PM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments Thanks Alias! I never saw Merv Griffin so young!
I never saw Pearl Buck before, she was exceptional.

I liked the story -- it's a "heartwarming story about sacrifice and the spirit of giving."
I think that no matter where or who you are, as The Beatles' would say, --
"All You Need is Love" (3:40) -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydfH7i...

A few more short stories for the holidays. --
http://osr.org/christmas/20-famous-ch...

message 6: by Alias Reader (last edited Nov 26, 2013 06:28PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17636 comments I enjoyed the story, too. Very heartwarming.

I don't think I've seen Pearl Buck interviewed either.

Thanks for the links, Carol ! I love the Beatles ! I hate to sound like a cranky old dinosaur, but just compare the lyrics and innocence of the Beatles to the half naked performances I saw on the AMA show the other night....

After we give others some time to read the Buck story. ( It really only takes 2 minutes!) You can pick our next story from the list you posted.

message 7: by Carol (last edited Nov 26, 2013 06:39PM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments We always read The Gift of The Magi -- I think our music teacher & academic teacher (in elementary grade school) and made it a focus every year. (I went to a very different type of elementary school.) I always read it every Christmas, even as an adult.

message 8: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments Magi is a good one around the holidays but it is good storytelling year 'round.

message 9: by Amy (last edited Nov 29, 2013 08:10AM) (new)

Amy (amybf) | 514 comments It was a very sweet story. Beautifully written. Especially loved this line: "Love alone could awaken love. And he could give the gift again and again." What a wonderful message. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have never read Buck's The Good Earth. Will have to add that one to my list as well.

message 10: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17636 comments I'm glad you enjoyed the story, Amy. I did, too.

I read The Good Earth in high school and again as an adult. It's a quick read and it's interesting.

I have on my TBR to read one day Pearl Buck in China Journey to The Good Earth by Hilary Spurling Pearl Buck in China: Journey to The Good Earth--Hilary Spurling

Buck had a fascinating life. I think her bio would be quite interesting.

message 11: by Carol (last edited Nov 29, 2013 11:04AM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments It's actually the first in the trilogy --

The Good Earth  by Pearl S. Buck 1. The Good Earth
Sons by Pearl S. Buck 2. Sons
A House Divided by Pearl S. Buck 3. A House Divided

message 12: by Madrano (last edited Dec 01, 2013 06:43AM) (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments Good, simple story.It reminds me so stories shared in magazines today when, in the middle of massive print ad campaigns, editors tell readers it's the human factor that counts. It must be a source of chagrin that there is no way to market the ideas in this story. Well, maybe Hallmark could for that last gift. ;-)

message 13: by Susan from MD (new)

Susan from MD | 402 comments Awww. Such a sweet story! It really is the simple things that touch the heart. With all the stories about teen angst, it's nice to see one that spins positive.

message 14: by Alias Reader (last edited Dec 02, 2013 07:54AM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17636 comments I'm glad the story is giving everyone a smile and good feeling. It's a nice short read that can refresh you during this holiday season.

message 15: by Susan from MD (new)

Susan from MD | 402 comments Carol, the list you posted is terrific. I'd especially be interested in the Tolstoy or Wilde stories, but they all look good.

For a winter theme (versus holiday), perhaps To Build A Fire - I haven't read it in years, but I recall feeling cold just reading it! I came across it the other day and thought I might re-read it.

message 16: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 239 comments I hope to read this, but I think I will do so closer to Christmas Day.

message 17: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments Lesley, you will treasure the story if feel the season of gift giving isn't fulfilling you, i believe.

Susan, I almost shiver every time i think of that London story. Splendid job! Perfect to read in the summer, too. That's when i last read it. Relief!

message 18: by Alias Reader (last edited Dec 03, 2013 06:39PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17636 comments I guess those that are going to read the one page Buck short Christmas story have done so.

How about each of us who are participating select a short holiday themed story that can be found online.

Who wants to go first? Just give the story and the link to the online version and I'll set up the thread.

message 19: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments Two more Christmas reads . . .

Christmas Tree and the Wedding by Fyodor Dostoevsky
http://www.classicreader.com/book/216...

Papa Panov's Special Christmas by Leo Tolstoy
http://classiclit.about.com/od/christ...

message 20: by Susan from MD (new)

Susan from MD | 402 comments I vote for the Tolstoy.

I'm reading Crime & Punishment and just finished Noted from the Underground, so I'm not sure I can handle more Dostoevsky at the moment! Maybe later in the month, once I finish C&P.

message 21: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17636 comments Carol, do you want to go first ? If so, select one and give me the link to the online story and I'll set up a thread for us.

message 22: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments Neat idea!

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments Susan wrote: "I vote for the Tolstoy.

I'm reading Crime & Punishment and just finished Noted from the Underground, so I'm not sure I can handle more Dostoevsky at the moment! Maybe later in the month, once I f..."

Sorry, I will go later if that's ok. I have still 3 large books to finish by the end of the week.

message 24: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17636 comments No, problem.

Anyone else wish to select our next short story ? Remember it must be found online.

message 25: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17636 comments I am not sure if the people participating in the December short Story reads:

- want me to select another story
- Are still thinking of one to suggest
- Would rather we just skip reading anymore short stories for December as schedules are too busy.

Whatever the group wishes is fine with me I just need a little input. Thanks !

message 26: by Susan from MD (new)

Susan from MD | 402 comments I would be fine skipping December and waiting until January. If others want to do another short story, I'll try to join in - it seems to be an unexpectedly busy time for me.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Argh I just read this and I don't know whether I'm feeling sensitive these days but *sob sob*!

I think it made me think of my dad. He worked with his own father his whole life trying to be this good and I don't think ever got a recognition of love out of it from his father like Rob did for his efforts. It makes me wish things had been different in their relationship because my grandfather died this year and it can now never be fixed. Funny how certain things get to you!

message 28: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17636 comments Some people have a very hard time expressing their love or appreciation. That doesn't mean they didn't feel it though. I hope that is the case with your dad's father.

message 29: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments Soph, i'm sorry for your family's loss. The sadness of knowing things can no longer be fixed or addressed can extend our sadness. I'm grateful we seem to be more open today in sharing appreciation for loved ones.

message 30: by Alias Reader (last edited Dec 07, 2013 07:48PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17636 comments Oh well, it seems no one wants to read any more short stories, so we will close out the year with the Pearl Buck one page story.

I want to thank everyone who participated in our group reads and buddy reads this year. I enjoyed it a lot.

I hope more people will join us for our next year group Book & a Movie reads. We will read one book and watch one movie every other month. So you have two months to join in and tell us your thoughts. That will take us through June.

Our schedule for next year is:

Our Group Book & a Movie schedule for next year is:

January & February
1776 by David McCullough 1776--David McCullough
Movie- Same name

March & April
The Cider House Rules by John Irving The Cider House Rules--John Irving
Movie- Same name

May & June
An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser An American Tragedy--Theodore Dreiser

Movie- A Place in the Sun

message 31: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments I enjoyed participating in this month's story but can understand that people have so much else to do. I tried to find a story but felt all were lacking interest. Still, we had a good reminder of what the season can be. Thank you to all.

message 32: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 1216 comments I just read this story now. It was a nice little story!

message 33: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 1216 comments I'd like to read Cider House with you guys. Hopefully I can fit it in then. Too many books!

message 34: by Carol (last edited Dec 08, 2013 01:54PM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments I really appreciate knowing now what I need for the first six months. Then I will be ready to participate in the "Book & a Movie." Thanks Alias.

I have yet to figured out what I will be reading in 2014, but I do know that a great deal of my time will commit me to researching for the biography.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Yup this time of year it is really easy to get snowed under with stuff to do. I don't know where my time is going! However I really enjoyed the short story reads this year and hope we can do some more next year. I will definitely have a look for a few suggestions when I finally get some time off work.

Also looking forward to the Book and Movie Group Reads and hope I can do all of those. Thanks for all your efforts organising things Alias, it really makes the group enjoyable. I am so pleased to have found BNC this year to join in with, I think our book and general chats are great. So thanks to everyone for making it such a friendly, fun and knowledgable group to be a part of! Hope you all have a Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays wherever you are! :)

message 36: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17636 comments You are all welcome. I'm glad to do it.

I think the one book every other month works well for us as many here do other challenges. And it gives us time to whittle down our own TBR stacks.

I think the 3 book suggestions you all came up with the last time we discussed this will work well.

Here's to a great Book & Movie time with you all next year !