dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
“Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.
~Alfred, Lord Tennyson, 1850”

Happy New Year, everyone! Time to get inspired and hit the ground running. Our January genre will be a biography or memoir.

Select a book from our Biography/Memoir Bookshelf, and place your nomination here.

If you don't see a book on there that you may like to see, you can make a suggestion in our
Book Suggestions to Add to Our Menu thread.

Nominations end December 2nd, at which point the poll will go up.

Let the nominations begin...

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) On Writing by Stephen King is a book I've wanted to read for a long time. It has received good reviews. Amazon says:

"“Long live the King” hailed Entertainment Weekly upon publication of Stephen King’s On Writing. Part memoir, part master class by one of the bestselling authors of all time, this superb volume is a revealing and practical view of the writer’s craft, comprising the basic tools of the trade every writer must have. King’s advice is grounded in his vivid memories from childhood through his emergence as a writer, from his struggling early career to his widely reported, near-fatal accident in 1999—and how the inextricable link between writing and living spurred his recovery. Brilliantly structured, friendly and inspiring, On Writing will empower and entertain everyone who reads it—fans, writers, and anyone who loves a great story well told."

message 3: by amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 116 comments I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman I've been meaning to read it since it came out.

message 4: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I read that this year, amber and it was very funny and of course a quick read. I enjoyed it.

message 5: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Julia wrote: "On Writing by Stephen King is a book I've wanted to read for a long time. It has received good reviews. Amazon says:

"“Long live the King” hailed Entertainment Weekly upon publicatio..."

Stephen king is definitely a prolific writer. it should be fascinating to learn more about his life and his writing process.

message 6: by Lauri (new)

Lauri I want to second Amber's nomination, I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman. I also have wanted to read it for a long time.

message 7: by Jayme (last edited Nov 27, 2013 02:56AM) (new)

Jayme How about The Year of Magical Thinking - since it is for January the beginning of a new year :)

message 8: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) John Muir: Nature's Visionary by Gretel Ehrlich would be another I'd love. Muir is one of my heroes, and his life story is fascinating. I've read much of his work, but not this one by Ehrlich, who is also an excellent writer, imho.

If I have to choose, I'd go with this one rather than On Writing.

message 10: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

We have a tie so far. still early though :)

message 11: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

now WYR have a three way tie!

message 12: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

we*

message 13: by amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 116 comments Someone must have changed their mind. It was a 7, a 6 and a 5 in voting. Now there are three 6s.

message 14: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Hmm, since only 21 people have voted, and there are 281 members in the group, one more vote will be the deciding factor! :-)

Another possibility would be to have threads for all 3, which would let the people who voted have their choice and allow for a wider range of participation for the rest of the group.

Just my two cents.

message 15: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Dec 13, 2013 05:50AM) (new)

Hey Julia. I would welcome threads for all three books with one as the "official" group read.

I can set that up. In general, if anyone wants to see up a thread for a side read, you are more than welcome.

In almost every group I have joined there is usually a low percentage who vote. But in a way I don't mind that. I prefer those who vote actually join in on the discussions instead of voting and not joining in.

Thank you for the great suggestions. Keep them coming. :)

message 16: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

thank you, Daniel. i like hearing any ideas. any feedback is welcomed.

message 17: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) You're the best, Laura--thanks for being a great moderator who listens to ideas :-)

Good to "see" your voice, Daniel--hope all is well.

message 18: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Dec 15, 2013 07:12AM) (new)

We finished with a tie!

John Muir: Nature's Visionary will be our "official" book for January!

And, I will set up a side read for the very funny book I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman.

If anyone would like to set up another side read in the Side Dishes Folder, you may do so.

If you need help or would like me to set it up, let me know!